Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2021, 02:56 PM

Default Travel to Cuba question

What is the process for getting the return PCR test in Cuba on a Sunwing trip?

Anyone have recent experience?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-29-2021, 03:41 PM

My Dad has a trip booked to Mexico on the 2nd or 3rd last day they come to the resort.

I was wondering if you fail do you get two more weeks free or sent to a Mexican covid "recovery" site.

Check with Sunwing about Cuba it could be different
Old 10-29-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
My Dad has a trip booked to Mexico on the 2nd or 3rd last day they come to the resort.

I was wondering if you fail do you get two more weeks free or sent to a Mexican covid "recovery" site.

Check with Sunwing about Cuba it could be different
My wife had an acquaintance that tested positive for COVID in Mexico right before she was supposed to come home. She wasn’t allowed to board the flight but the resort (Hard Rock) had a clause stating she was given a room for free for 2 weeks. The Canadian govt will let you come home 2 weeks after a positive test (as you might keep testing positive for a long time after). A free two weeks sounds great but she was put in a room that overlooked construction, had a balcony but wasn’t able to leave her room. Room service only. And her husband had to go home by himself (he could’ve stayed for $150/night). So 14 days of room service, watching Mexican TV by yourself.

That’s the only thing holding us back from travelling right now. You have to take time off to include the extra 2 weeks you might be stuck at the resort. And if we do an AirBnB you get kicked out and then where do you stay?
Old 10-29-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

This seems like an easy alternative. Take the test with you and do it via videoconference. $200/test or $150/test if you’re an Aeroplan member.

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/...collectionKits
Old 10-29-2021, 08:30 PM

Latest recommendations I heard were avoid Cuba and if you went, you'd be confined to a resort. Cuba is a great place, but a week or two of resort food wouldn't be much of a holiday.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-29-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:

If the trip was free and they gave me $1000 dollars I wouldn’t travel with
Sunwing again. NEVER again.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageone View Post
Absolutely! Terrible low budget crap.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:54 PM

Not sure where you're going, but I think a lot of resorts have clinics where you get them done a couple days before you fly back, results are given 24 hours before your flight.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Not sure where you're going, but I think a lot of resorts have clinics where you get them done a couple days before you fly back, results are given 24 hours before your flight.
I’m thinking all these destinations have to have a set process for testing and not force guests to run around.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-30-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Ya, I had to go to court over our last trip with them to get my money back
Old 10-30-2021, 08:17 AM

Latest Cuba covid rules

Canadian passengers need the 72hrs pcr test before travelling back to Canada, the cost will be 30USD paid by credit card or debit visa from Canadian Banks . PCR test is done at the hotel and for other passengers not staying at an all inclusive please contact the nearest International Clinic (recommended to make an appointment for the pcr test 5 days before departure with the tour operator representative at the hotel or the international clinic itself)

https://gocuba.ca/news-view/new-covi...ber-15th-2021/

I'm not thinking Cuba this winter, the thought of testing positive confined in a hotel room for 14 days eating beans with rice is enough to scare me away.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I love cuba...cayo coco but I am going to give it another winter and let things play out more regarding travel and covid......just don’t need no hassles...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-30-2021, 09:11 AM

Looks like most hotels have the tests setup for you including airports depending on where you are going.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Don't worry about the PCR, worry that Sunwing will have a plane on the tarmac to take you back... HAHA

I've been to Cuba 15-17 times, half of those I've seen sunwing customers stranded at the airports
Old 10-31-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Don't worry about the PCR, worry that Sunwing will have a plane on the tarmac to take you back... HAHA

I've been to Cuba 15-17 times, half of those I've seen sunwing customers stranded at the airports
Based upon the Sunwing comments I’m not jumping on their planes anytime soon.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:21 AM

Friend was in Manuel Antonio area in Costa Rica late August and had to travel to next town for a clinic.
Another Canadian couple from their hotel hitched a ride with him in his rental car to get the test at the same time
The wife of the Canadian couple ended up testing positive.
He tested negative.

No good deed goes unpunished
Old 10-31-2021, 05:08 PM

I was thinking of nipping across thr border to fish a lake in the US but the $150 test to return is a deterrent.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:42 AM

Might have to wait until after the revolution to visit Cuba

"I want the Canadian population to know that it's not safe to go to Cuba anymore. The march in Cuba is going to happen. From our side it's going to be a pacific march, however, we know that the regime is not going to answer in a pacific way.
Dissident Rolando Remedios, out on parole after weeks in prison following the July 11 protests, said Canadians should stay away.

"Don't come," he told CBC News from Havana. "There is no way you can do tourism here in Cuba and not support the dictatorship.

"The dictatorship is going down. We don't know where, when it's going to happen, but I'm sure it will, because the system cannot be reformed at this point. The people don't trust the political figures that hold the power right now. And on Nov 15, despite the repression, which is terrible, and all the fear that has provoked, the people will come out again.

"I'm really hopeful about what's coming."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cub...racy-1.6238995
Old 11-09-2021, 10:09 AM

Right now travelling to the States is a huge cash grab for them. When you come back you have to pay $240USD per person for the test.

Canada Border Services Agency
@CanBorder
You must provide a pre-arrival #COVID19 molecular test result when coming to Canada, regardless of your citizenship and vaccination status. The results of the test are valid for 72 hours.

For more information, visit: http://ow.ly/nQHU50GGeSu

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Right now travelling to the States is a huge cash grab for them. When you come back you have to pay $240USD per person for the test.

Canada Border Services Agency
@CanBorder
You must provide a pre-arrival #COVID19 molecular test result when coming to Canada, regardless of your citizenship and vaccination status. The results of the test are valid for 72 hours.

For more information, visit: http://ow.ly/nQHU50GGeSu
So, for a family of four, that would be well over a grand, Canadian, a good incentive to keep you home, but hey, we opened the border.

Grizz

Old 11-09-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
So, for a family of four, that would be well over a grand, Canadian, a good incentive to keep you home, but hey, we opened the border.

Grizz
The snowbirds are hoping things change by April
Old 11-09-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Might have to wait until after the revolution to visit Cuba

"I want the Canadian population to know that it's not safe to go to Cuba anymore. The march in Cuba is going to happen. From our side it's going to be a pacific march, however, we know that the regime is not going to answer in a pacific way.
Dissident Rolando Remedios, out on parole after weeks in prison following the July 11 protests, said Canadians should stay away.

"Don't come," he told CBC News from Havana. "There is no way you can do tourism here in Cuba and not support the dictatorship.

"The dictatorship is going down. We don't know where, when it's going to happen, but I'm sure it will, because the system cannot be reformed at this point. The people don't trust the political figures that hold the power right now. And on Nov 15, despite the repression, which is terrible, and all the fear that has provoked, the people will come out again.

"I'm really hopeful about what's coming."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cub...racy-1.6238995
I saw that article.

Hard to say what’s going to happen.

I know that contacting friends down there has been hit or miss as for internet gets blocked.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:34 AM

The next key date is Nov. 27 thousands march in honor of the medical students wrongfully executed in 1871, I was in Havana a couple years ago during the march you could feel the tension building then.

https://www.lahabana.com/content/nov...cine-students/
Old 11-09-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The next key date is Nov. 27 thousands march in honor of the medical students wrongfully executed in 1871, I was in Havana a couple years ago during the march you could feel the tension building then.

https://www.lahabana.com/content/nov...cine-students/
Never underestimate the willingness of a totalitarian government to fire on it's own people and they have an extensive secret police and informer base as well. Could turn into a blood bath.

Grizz

Old 11-09-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
that make two of us they are the worst
Old 11-09-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
that make two of us they are the worst
If you can get on a plane to get home with sun wing after hours of waiting don’t get to excited. You may sit on the tarmac with no AC or water for a few hours. At least we weren’t the people flying sun wing who slept in the airport overnight with their kids due to delayed flights amd continually being assured the flight was almost ready. Not exactly the newest or cleanest planes either, and pray you don’t have to be to close to the bathrooms as there is no airflow as the returning tourist Bomb the toilet with the resort buffet food mixed with the last cheap free rum.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
If you can get on a plane to get home with sun wing after hours of waiting don’t get to excited. You may sit on the tarmac with no AC or water for a few hours. At least we weren’t the people flying sun wing who slept in the airport overnight with their kids due to delayed flights amd continually being assured the flight was almost ready. Not exactly the newest or cleanest planes either, and pray you don’t have to be to close to the bathrooms as there is no airflow as the returning tourist Bomb the toilet with the resort buffet food mixed with the last cheap free rum.
Okay. Now I really can’t fly Sunwing.

OMG. I can’t imagine.