Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2022, 10:50 AM

Default Alberta needs some long soaking rains

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/8479...2022-05-23.pdf

Pretty scary for farmers in a year the world needs as much wheat as possible.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-30-2022, 11:32 AM

I haven't even started seeding yet. Friday I has out picking rocks in the wind. When I went back to the same field saturday, the tractor/rock picker tracks were eroded out about 3-5 inches deep. Rest of the dirt that was crusted was still there. Anything with the crust disturbed was eroded.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:23 PM

and back in SE SK they are flooding in places again. 3 inches of rain last Friday, not sure what its doing today. not a lot of crop has been put in down there yet.
Old 05-30-2022, 03:13 PM

My Son In-law got his crop all seeded on Monday east of Viking. Hoping and Praying for good results. From what I seen from Wainwright south into USA last year it was terrible for all dry land farmers. Pray for them too.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:30 PM

They keep getting our hopes up, but don't deliver, just a few drops here today. Hay apparently sold for 340. a round bale at the local auction and my son claims some people have paid 400. This ain't gonna work for long.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-30-2022, 05:27 PM

Seems all the precipitation is down here, likely due to La Niña. We’ve had over 2.3 meters of rain so far this year at my house, 621 millimetres in May. I’m over the rain so I’ll try and drag it with me when I fly back to Canada next week.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:08 AM

Dont even mention rain to farmers in Peace Country. They have had so much rain cannot even get some fields planted this spring. They are waiting for their land to dry out.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:24 AM

The north peace country has had more than enough rain. We need some heat!
Old 05-31-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
The north peace country has had more than enough rain. We need some heat!
Exactly. Need some bigtime drying in some parts of the province.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
They keep getting our hopes up, but don't deliver, just a few drops here today. Hay apparently sold for 340. a round bale at the local auction and my son claims some people have paid 400. This ain't gonna work for long.

Grizz
Was talking to a friend with a very large mixed farm and ranch operation... I was taken back to hear he wasn't going to run his pivots this year and expected at least $ 400 a ton hay this fall... His reasoning was the natural gas and electrical to power the pivot wasn't worth the water to irrigate the crops and hay... Crazy dry here as well....
Old 05-31-2022, 05:45 PM

Hay crops around here look like they got Covid. Hopping for rain
Old 05-31-2022, 06:22 PM

Just checked our forecast, says 25mm next week. Pray that it happens.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-01-2022, 09:34 PM

Sure need a soaker from about Olds south. Grass & hay are way late, crops have a little room.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-01-2022, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Sure need a soaker from about Olds south. Grass & hay are way late, crops have a little room.
Even north of Olds. Can't say I've seen it this dry here this time of year
Old 06-01-2022, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Just sucks eh? I pulled cattle early last year, saved some overgrazing. Have very little grass to start. Cut back more numbers. Damn it

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-01-2022, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Just sucks eh? I pulled cattle early last year, saved some overgrazing. Have very little grass to start. Cut back more numbers. Damn it
Hay and grass hasn't done anything yet. Crops still have hope, hay...not so much
Old 06-01-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

That's odd. Driving down hwy 2 Thursday prior to the long weekend I was driving in pounding rain from Ponoka to pretty much Carstairs. Water-skiing truck kind of rain. Edmonton and area have been getting the odd shower for 2-3 weeks. Not huge amounts but better than a kick in the pants
Old 06-01-2022, 11:01 PM

Default Rain

STUPID dry here in Lacombe. Last decent rain was August 23rd of last year (2”). Had 1/2 inch on May 19th but the wind pretty much sucked that up before it could sink in.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteblaster View Post
STUPID dry here in Lacombe. Last decent rain was August 23rd of last year (2”). Had 1/2 inch on May 19th but the wind pretty much sucked that up before it could sink in.
Yep, I have never had to water my lawn this much this early. I can’t keep it from drying out.

Feeling for the farmers.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Yep, I have never had to water my lawn this much this early. I can’t keep it from drying out.

Feeling for the farmers.
My Rain Only sign is a lie.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-02-2022, 08:36 PM

Flea Beetles are wreaking havoc with some canola crops. Some rain now would sure help crop get ahead of them.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:40 PM

Seeded my big garden super early just to take advantage of the little snow melt moisture that I knew I had after such a dry year prior. It all came up hard and fast but the last three nights I've been out there hosing it down at 4 am to keep the frost off...dammed if you do dammed if you don't I guess....in between camrose and forestburg and dry as I've ever seen it in my 50 plus years. It feels like a time of reckoning. Better get a good rain quick or the crops will be heading out at 4 inches. Feel for my farming friends. Input and fuel costs are just wrong and mother nature bending you over and grabbing a handful of hair at the same time.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:10 PM

Seem to have had enough to get things started around here, but, need more now, drying up PDQ. What rain I've seen, seems to be mostly staying south of the Red. Forecast for next wk looks somewhat hopeful, if that one cloud happens to go over you.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:23 PM

I can drive a car through sloughs and ditches that I should not be able to ride a quad through at this time of year. I had the corral cleaners out in early May and they didn't hardly leave a track where as most years we are making ruts in August.

Barley, canola and corn is all up but if the rain forecasted for Sunday and Monday doesn't come through, we are going to be in a bind.

I think the cold late spring was a blessing as the hay would be headed out and burning off by now with an early spring and the lack of rain.

From the prices I saw on Teams this morning, there's optimism in the cattle market so it's raining somewhere.

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-04-2022, 03:47 PM

If we don't get moisture in the next 10 days in the Bonnyville area, it's gonna be trouble. I'd say the grass is about 5-6 weeks behind. TEAM sale looked very promising. I'd say we've got grass for about 85 days.
Old 06-04-2022, 04:35 PM

Don’t let the team sale fool you. The char cross steers brought a pile to be shipped into Ontario but the pairs only got passed out or brought money that it works for feedlots to feed and split, if you got silage and straw. It’s dry and the general cattle price is optimistic at best with the shortage of feed. Those steers are January calves and split because of lack of feed to support pairs. Not every rancher has that option. Feeding American corn in Alberta feedlot is a problem.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:25 AM

Eleven tenths in the Hat so far.... Still raining!

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-05-2022, 09:52 AM

No idea how much we have so far, fair amount by the look of things out front, definitely going to help. Appears to have been raining decently on and off all nite, still going.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:46 AM

Grass hoppers will be bad again this year in the fields ,just to dry and hot .
We need rain .
Old 06-05-2022, 11:33 AM

I'll take a pic & update when it stops, we got over 1/2" or 15 mm in the rain gauge since early this morning in Sylvan. It's a nice gentle rain that's soakin in the farmers will have smiles & mud on their boots now.

D.