Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2021, 07:14 AM

Default Propane - refilling 1 lb bottle

I have seen the video on refilling these bottles .
So I gave it a try.
But these new 20 lb bottles seem to have a safety shut off when the bottle is up side down and you open the valve .
Nothing will come out .
Am I doing something wrong?
Any experts out there that ran into this problem and found a fix.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Not an expert but I found out that ensuring my little bottles are fully emptied by taking needle nose pliers and pulling the pressure release valve helps.
I then install the filling adaptor to it, shake the large filling tank, turn it upside down and attach the adaptor and small bottle, as the filling starts I will occasionally pull the pressure release valve on the little bottle ensuring positive flow and releasing any gas as the bottle fills full of liquid.

I watched videos and guys cool off their little bottles but it really never made a difference.

I do it outside on my tailgate of my truck, wear eye protection and light gloves....just in case

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-28-2021, 07:44 AM

It helps to have a full 20 lb tank. Warmer the better. Time is your friend - if you leave it sit for overnight you will have more than a 1 lb. fill in there.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Not an expert but I found out that ensuring my little bottles are fully emptied by taking needle nose pliers and pulling the pressure release valve helps.
I then install the filling adaptor to it, shake the large filling tank, turn it upside down and attach the adaptor and small bottle, as the filling starts I will occasionally pull the pressure release valve on the little bottle ensuring positive flow and releasing any gas as the bottle fills full of liquid.

I watched videos and guys cool off their little bottles but it really never made a difference.

I do it outside on my tailgate of my truck, wear eye protection and light gloves....just in case
I tried pulling the release valve once and it didn't seat again so I gave up on that and now just wait it out for the fill.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
I tried pulling the release valve once and it didn't seat again so I gave up on that and now just wait it out for the fill.
I pulled one that went berserk too....so gentle it is and never had an issue from there on in.

I also leave all outside for a while to ensure they are done venting too....some will burp for a bit.

Also just don’t go for the complete fill too..3/4 full seems to be the best....room for expansion.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:02 AM

I did mine in Winter time. I put all the small bottles outside for a while in -15. I kept the 20 pound tank in my garage overnight. Took it outside and put it upside down on a work table and put on the adapter. Timing at that temperature for filling the bottles has some importance. I found that 2 minutes filled the bottle to about 3/4 capacity. I’m guessing that the timing they say; 1 minute is for warmer temperatures; but then you’d have to put your MT bottles in your freezer before filling; to get good results.
I had no issues whatsoever doing it. Apprehensive; yes! Especially the 1st time!
Old 05-28-2021, 09:02 AM

The key for me has been putting the 1lb bottles in the freezer.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:30 AM

Been doing it for years and tried all the tricks. The only tried and true is the pulling the valve method. Freezer method helps but most will tell you it is not the real answer. Do the valve method and they fill quickly and always fill. Just have a small scale to confirm the weights. Here is a link to a video that for the most part works quite well and you will not have any issues.

The concept is almost identical to the way we used to fill our propane vehicles back in the day if you are old enough to have been around in that era. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM
Old 05-28-2021, 11:23 AM

Put the fitting into the valve and tighten BEFORE opening the tap. Vapor comes out when bottle is upright and liquid comes out when upside down
Old 05-28-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Been doing it for years and tried all the tricks. The only tried and true is the pulling the valve method. Freezer method helps but most will tell you it is not the real answer. Do the valve method and they fill quickly and always fill. Just have a small scale to confirm the weights. Here is a link to a video that for the most part works quite well and you will not have any issues.

The concept is almost identical to the way we used to fill our propane vehicles back in the day if you are old enough to have been around in that era. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM
This is how I do it, only I use a hose instead of hooking directly to the 20lber. Works great.

Still runnin an F150 on propane...burns too clean, I can't kill it Gettin harder to find fuel stations tho.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
The key for me has been putting the 1lb bottles in the freezer.
Yup, I put the 1lb in the freezer for a day and have the 20lb warm.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:16 PM

You want a higher pressure in the big bottle than in the little one you are filling, so the guys recommending ending putting the small ones in the freezer and correct.
Bleeding off the small ones before filling is just waiting propane.
Vapours are just liquid propane that is turing to gas due to low pressure.
Cool off a half full bottle and it will fill just as fast.
Please make sure that you do the filling outside and do not transport the refilled
bottles in a vehicle or RV compartment that is not vented.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:21 PM

So the one pounders in the freezer and the 20 in the oven?
Ha, couldn’t resist.

TBark
Old 05-28-2021, 07:45 PM

This is my solution. The 1 lb. bottle is put on horizontally with the pressure relief valve up and open, When you get liquid out of the hole, time to call er full. The valve enables you to control the flow without messing with the upside down 20 pounder. Gloves and no smoking recommended. Easy to fill a bunch at a time, I like to do it on the tail gate of my truck.

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 05-28-2021 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:03 PM

Default I gotta ask...

Is this really worth doing? If you don't use many 1# bottles isn't it easier to just buy the few you'll need? And if you do use several bottles isn't it easier to just buy a 5 or 10# tank that you can have refilled at the same price per pound as a 20 or 30#?

I have to admit, pulling the pop valve or venting and inverting a tank seems a bit dangerous, I also understand the 1# don't get totally full either.

BTW, I call the neat fitting used to fill a 1# from a 20 is called the KABOOM fitting with folks I know that have them...not sure if it has a more technical name.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:12 PM

Does not sound like any one read what I was asking for .
The problem I had was 20 lb bottle has an automatic shut off when they are tipped over or turned up side down.
Did some playing this after noon .

In the up right position attach the 1 lb bottle then crack the 20 lb bottle open half a turn.

Then slowly turn it all up side down very slowly .Doing this will stop the automatic shut off
Next open the valve all the way open..... slowly

Pull bleeder valve on small bottle to release the gas that was put in when it was up right , for about 3 seconds.
Takes about 10 mins to fill with liquid.
I then weight it got 900 grams . 1000= 1lb
Old 05-28-2021, 08:26 PM

The problem I had was 20 lb bottle has an automatic shut off when they are tipped over or turned up side down.

That's a new one on me. I know there is a built in valve in the new ones that you have to have a connection to get flow. I assumed that's what you were talking about.

Grizz
Old 05-28-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
Is this really worth doing? If you don't use many 1# bottles isn't it easier to just buy the few you'll need? And if you do use several bottles isn't it easier to just buy a 5 or 10# tank that you can have refilled at the same price per pound as a 20 or 30#?

I have to admit, pulling the pop valve or venting and inverting a tank seems a bit dangerous, I also understand the 1# don't get totally full either.

BTW, I call the neat fitting used to fill a 1# from a 20 is called the KABOOM fitting with folks I know that have them...not sure if it has a more technical name.
Not to mention that the one pound bottles are designed for one time use.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
Not to mention that the one pound bottles are designed for one time use.
They're way over engineered, obviously you have to look at the condition of the bottle. I use my torch almost daily from starting my wood stove to lighting the burning barrel. I think they're running close to 10 ea. now, for two bits worth of propane.

Grizz
Old 05-28-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Must be a newer style than the one I bought a month ago.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Is this really worth doing?
$0.70/lb to fill my 30 lb tank. $8.00/lb to buy 1 lb bottles when they go on sale.

Quote:
I also understand the 1# don't get totally full either.
It is possible to get considerably more than 1# in them - I always throw them on the scale to make sure.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
$0.70/lb to fill my 30 lb tank. $8.00/lb to buy 1 lb bottles when they go on sale.

So if you only use a couple a year then you'd be out like $30...if you use a lot more then you could refill a 5 or 10# bottle for the $0.70 you mention. I just don't see the economics tradeoff for the risk

It is possible to get considerably more than 1# in them - I always throw them on the scale to make sure.
This should tell you something. If they are overweight (per the scale) I assume you would vent off the excess or risk lifting the pop valve.

I waste a lot more cash idling vehicles, running partially full washing machines or unused data plans so I can't figure out chasing these minor savings. Just my opinion though.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:15 AM

Quote:
This should tell you something. If they are overweight (per the scale) I assume you would vent off the excess or risk lifting the pop valve.

I waste a lot more cash idling vehicles, running partially full washing machines or unused data plans so I can't figure out chasing these minor savings. Just my opinion though.
Well, I don't waste cash idling vehicles, running partial washes or have unused data plan either.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:

In the up right position attach the 1 lb bottle then crack the 20 lb bottle open half a turn.

Then slowly turn it all up side down very slowly .Doing this will stop the automatic shut off

Pull bleeder valve on small bottle to release the gas that was put in when it was up right , for about 3 seconds.

Oops.....that’s why I am not an expert....get talking and forgot the question....wife says I go at the memory of a goldfish

Looks like you got it figured out.....I use two little buddy heaters so found refilling the little green bottles was beneficial....

Old 05-29-2021, 08:09 AM

I got the adapter hoses and run things off a 10 or 20 lb bottle instead of those 1 lber's also have a tree on a 20lb for hunting camp and run 3 things off it at once, 2 stoves and a gas frying pan, found the 1 lb bottles a pain in the butt

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:24 AM

The valve thing and reduced/no flow. I’ve seen it a few times when I crack the bottle open too fast, then I unhook everything and start over and crack it very slowly at first and it works.

We used to refill oxygen bottles like this when I worked at midway distributors in lloydminster. We had a battery of Regular sized “244” oxygen bottles all connected and we’d hook up a “122” the little 40” or so tanks. Then open and close the valves in ascending order of pressure. Lower pressure tank open and wait until the pressure equalizes, then shut off the main tank, move to the next tank and keep doing it until we’d reach the full tanks of 2200 lbs.
if I remember right we had 11 big tanks, when the lowest pressure tank was empty we’d pull it off the manifold and replace with a full tank. Then the tank thaw was #2 became number 1.

The small thanks we were filling would always heat up in the process. So I’d let them sit for a few hours and cool off, then top them off again. We couldn't fill quite as full as the factory ones, maybe 75 lbs less. But we made a ton of money doing it.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I've had issues with my 30# tanks on the RV. When I open the valve on the tanks too quickly, you can hear the automatic shutoff valve on the tank click and activate. Still allows just a dribble of propane to get through; enough to run the stove at a very low idle.

My solution is to close the valve, loosen the hand tightened hose nut 1/4 - 1/2 turn and you'll hear the automatic shutoff reset (click). Tighten the nut and ever so slowly open the tank valve again - I mean just crack it and you can hear the propane in the line equalizing. By doing this method, the propane has a chance to equalize in the line without the automatic shutoff thinking that there is a cut line or something. Usually takes about 20 seconds or so, then you can crank the valve completely open fully.

Perhaps this is what your 20# tank is doing while inverted? Open the valve slowly until pressure equalizes. I haven't filled a Greenie since last summer, but I'm about to do that again today. And I don't use the chill method, only invert the 20#, rotate the Greenie so that the relief valve is at the 10 or 2 o'clock position and pull the Greenie relief valve with small needle nosed pliers. Once vapors start to release from the valve, shut everything down and remove the Greenie. This method usually takes about 2-3 minutes per Greenie to fill. Check for leaks in the main orifice of the Greenie and the relief valve with water. Any bubbles can be stopped by tapping gently on the top of the relief valve with said pliers. Then check with water again.

Inspect the Greenie before filling and label with a black marker for the year put into service. Have never kept any over 4 years and there's always more supply at every campground at the recycling boxes to cycle through my supply, as most campers that buy the Greenies (at $13 for 2?) will use for a weekend then buy again. Usually have about 4 at the ready and have filled while out camping as well.

Father in law camps with us and we usually do both trailers needs at the same time.

J.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Oops.....that’s why I am not an expert....get talking and forgot the question....wife says I go at the memory of a goldfish

Looks like you got it figured out.....I use two little buddy heaters so found refilling the little green bottles was beneficial....
I am retired now ,so finding things to do between fishing trips keeps me off the couch. Just need to find a punch of cans .
Old 05-29-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Silly question but when you did it the first time was your 20lb closer to empty? Just wondering if you were close enough to empty that there just wasn't quite enough propane to hold the float up, or the bottle is still lower in propane level and inverting it slowly allows the float to stay in the right position as the liquid isn't sloshing around as much.

I haven't had this issue so just curious.

Definitely worth refilling in my books. I think 3lbs worth in the green bottles is pushing $20 now so basically $6 plus a pound vs a dollar or less if you refill . If you use a lot of propane that is some pretty good savings.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I got the adapter hoses and run things off a 10 or 20 lb bottle instead of those 1 lber's also have a tree on a 20lb for hunting camp and run 3 things off it at once, 2 stoves and a gas frying pan, found the 1 lb bottles a pain in the butt
Ya....but I find running my propane ice auger with a hose and 20lb bottle a pain in the butt too