Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2020, 04:38 PM

Default Anyone renew their residential natural gas and electricity contract lately?

Just wondering is Enmax or Direct Energy has been doing any sweet off the books deals to sign people up?

Feel free to PM if you don’t wish to post.

I see 1, 3 and 5 year contracts.

Fixed electricity pricing and either fixed or floating natural gas pricing.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-18-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Just wondering is Enmax or Direct Energy has been doing any sweet off the books deals to sign people up?

Feel free to PM if you don’t wish to post.

I see 1, 3 and 5 year contracts.

Fixed electricity pricing and either fixed or floating natural gas pricing.
If they are, don't believe anything they say. They often promise lower rates, then renege .
It's not rates that compound to make utility bills high anyway. It's all the monthly charges for delivery, transmission, administration, etc.,etc.,etc.
They have a license to steal.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:30 AM

I have never signed a contract for electricity or NG. I pay the floating rate and I have always come out on top.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:14 AM

Never deal with Direct Energy. Ever. I would freeze in the dark before I gave those bastards a penny. It took a threat of legal action to get them to own up to their mstake and when door to door sales were a thing, that stopped after my lawyer sent them a letter stating that any direct energy employee setting foot my property would be charged with trespassing.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Never deal with Direct Energy. Ever. I would freeze in the dark before I gave those bastards a penny. It took a threat of legal action to get them to own up to their mstake and when door to door sales were a thing, that stopped after my lawyer sent them a letter stating that any direct energy employee setting foot my property would be charged with trespassing.
I say this with the utmost sincerity: Thank You.
It's really too bad that others don't understand how badly Direct Energy negatively impacted all Albertans when they first arrived in our newly deregulated utility industry. Atco Gas gave them the opportunity when they sold them the Retail Gas Billing portion of their business; I won't deal with Atco either.

OT- I have been on the Enmax Easy Max program for years. The daily/monthly floating rates on both gas and electricity have been better than any contract pricing offered since at least 2006. Once a year I get a $100ish credit on my bill.
Added bonus- only 1 bill for all utilities.
Sort of bonus- as a wholly owned business entity of the City of Calgary, profits/dividends generated go to the city. Marginally subsidizing our taxes.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-18-2020, 01:28 PM

I just renewed my electricity (Enmax).

Before the price cap was taken off a year ago, I figured it might be smart to lock in a fixed rate, before they went up. I locked in at a fixed rate of 5.89 c/kwh for 1 year.

I got a renew notice in the mail saying I would automatically be renewed at 6.59 for 5 years on Dec 31st, if I did nothing.

I checked the current floating rates, and they are at 5.8 for November. ...uhh, Yeah, I switched back to floating.
Perhaps before next summer, I'll look into locking in again.

Floating rates:
https://www.enmax.com/ForYourHomeSit...ty-After.aspx#
Old 11-18-2020, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
They are so awful you can’t understand it, when I was settling my Mom’s estate it was insane. We owed them something like $140 and I eventually gave up trying to pay them. I’d get these nasty collection letters, then call them and say “ok I have a credit card in my hand, let’s get this done” then get transferred 4 times and promised a call back that never came. Nobody could explain what the problem was, just call back, rinse and repeat. I even went to their office because it was across the parking lot from my accountant, still couldn’t do it.

Never did pay them, I PRAY they try and sue me.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:02 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I have never signed a contract for electricity or NG. I pay the floating rate and I have always come out on top.
This! The rate is such a small portion of the overall bill that fluctuations I find have a negligible impact on the total invoice and I have come out way ahead over the years by staying with floating.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-18-2020, 07:13 PM

If it's negligible how is it possible to come out way ahead?