Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2020, 07:41 AM

Default Edmonton Oilers Are Being Sued

For over 50k of unpaid hotel bills....
Guess it was either pay the hotel or pay Mcdangles lol...

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/edmont...1_5191498.html
Old 11-17-2020, 08:21 AM

I don't think Katz ran out of money? Kind of a black mark on the team....going to sell Connor like the predecessor's did with Gretzky??
Old 11-17-2020, 08:26 AM

I find this amusing. It's literally 0.4% of one guys salary and they can't find the money to pay it? Also wondering how they are racking up $28,000.00 hotel bills? Assuming 40 people traveling with the team (players, coaches, medical staff, management, etc.) and they each get their own room, that equates to $700/night. I'd think they'd get a discount too if you're booking 40 rooms. Finally, the cheque bounced? They are still paying for hotels with cheques? Something seems odd.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:44 AM

The rest of us have to put down a credit card to get a room. Why wouldn't this be between the Oilers and their credit card company?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkman View Post
I don't think Katz ran out of money? Kind of a black mark on the team....going to sell Connor like the predecessor's did with Gretzky??
Yup some people don’t realize that Gretz was actually bought to begin with. Oilers acquired Wayne Gretzky, Peter Driscoll and Eddie Mio from Indianapolis Racers for $825,000. Things came full circle with him being sold to LA..
Old 11-17-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
The rest of us have to put down a credit card to get a room. Why wouldn't this be between the Oilers and their credit card company?
Because they have an account with the hotel not unlike any other supplier for a company..
Old 11-17-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I find this amusing. It's literally 0.4% of one guys salary and they can't find the money to pay it? Also wondering how they are racking up $28,000.00 hotel bills? Assuming 40 people traveling with the team (players, coaches, medical staff, management, etc.) and they each get their own room, that equates to $700/night. I'd think they'd get a discount too if you're booking 40 rooms. Finally, the cheque bounced? They are still paying for hotels with cheques? Something seems odd.
They aren’t staying at a super8, road trip involves close to 40-50 people. Hotel dining is also paid for by the team.

Unrelated to the hotel cost, players are also given a road trip per down for spending on whatever they’d like!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:49 AM

Looks like next time they are in Texas it will be at the Super 8...
Old 11-17-2020, 08:51 AM

Hoping this is somehow just an accounting error and something just got missed. Even so this is a pretty embarrassing for a professional hockey team to be sued for something so trivial like just paying a bill.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Hoping this is somehow just an accounting error and something just got missed. Even so this is a pretty embarrassing for a professional hockey team to be sued for something so trivial like just paying a bill.

And fans will probably still blame chiarelli for this.... lol
Old 11-17-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
And fans will probably still blame chiarelli for this.... lol
Kris Russell’s fault..
Old 11-17-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Because they have an account with the hotel not unlike any other supplier for a company..
Any other supplier requires the company to have some sort of 3rd party financing to get an account with them. Unless it is just us in the ag industry that get treated this way. Only other option is paying with a credit card.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Any other supplier requires the company to have some sort of 3rd party financing to get an account with them. Unless it is just us in the ag industry that get treated this way. Only other option is paying with a credit card.

I forward the credit apps to our head office for approvals. That’s not how it works in our neck of the woods..
Old 11-17-2020, 10:19 AM

If this was Toronto or Montreal, Turdo would cover the bill.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:25 AM

How are they going to pay $80million in salaries if they can't afford $50k in hotel bills?
Old 11-17-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How are they going to pay $80million in salaries if they can't afford $50k in hotel bills?
They will do the same as Riley in bc. No pay for you😁
Old 11-17-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Well, they said they couldn't make it without government help, guess we didn't give them enough.

Grizz
Old 11-17-2020, 06:20 PM

I’m guessing it’s likely a dispute

-Billy Molls
Old 11-17-2020, 07:56 PM

WWBS ?

What would Bessie say?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:07 PM

Fake news!!!

(I was gonna donate my bet winning to a charity......mebe they get it)
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-18-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Probably the same way all sports teams do, jack up ticket and merchandise prices.
Unless they start putting fans back in the stands and get the food, memorabilia, season ticket revenue plus maybe the ancillary renting out of the stadiums I think many teams are going to hit tight times.

Osky
Old 11-18-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Probably the same way all sports teams do, jack up ticket and merchandise prices.
Unless they start putting fans back in the stands and get the food, memorabilia, season ticket revenue plus maybe the ancillary renting out of the stadiums I think many teams are going to hit tight times.

Osky
And after cancelling games because of the BLM nonsense, and watching players kneel for the anthem in various sports, going without their multi million dollar salaries might be a good thing for many pro athletes.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
And after cancelling games because of the BLM nonsense, and watching players kneel for the anthem in various sports, going without their multi million dollar salaries might be a good thing for many pro athletes.
Sounds like they are definitely going to for this coming year. The discussion on 960 AM this morning was that with escrow, scaled salary due to reduced season, taxes, etc., a player with a $5M salary might have a take home of $1.5M. Still alot of cash, but most guys aren't making $5M. The grunt on the 4th line making league minimum, $750k, is probably making less than $200k.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:06 AM

This sounds like a technical dispute. Somebody got laid off last month who was supposed to process an invoice or something, and here we are.
Maybe it's a dispute over a game that got canceled (were the Oilers supposed to have another game in Dallas that got canceled when the season was suspended?) and the hotel is still charging them for that booking?

I would doubt it's because the account is dry, that money would have been budgeted for in this season. Plus, I bet a few dollars trickled in from hosting the bubble.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:22 PM

Not surprised, they are $7.35 away from max cap. Need to pinch them pennies somewhere. Can't sign a stud like Smith if your blowing cash on Hotels.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Sounds like they are definitely going to for this coming year. The discussion on 960 AM this morning was that with escrow, scaled salary due to reduced season, taxes, etc., a player with a $5M salary might have a take home of $1.5M. Still alot of cash, but most guys aren't making $5M. The grunt on the 4th line making league minimum, $750k, is probably making less than $200k.
Yes gee my heart goes out to those poor guy's that might have to actually survive on 200K a year while sitting home doing nothing, they might actually have to buy groceries, most of us would be so lucky to have to try and survive on 200K a year

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
My heart bleeds for them...not!
Old 11-19-2020, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I know have a lottery to recoup some cash.....

Oilers and cluster f go hand and hand....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-19-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yes gee my heart goes out to those poor guy's that might have to actually survive on 200K a year while sitting home doing nothing, they might actually have to buy groceries, most of us would be so lucky to have to try and survive on 200K a year
They wouldn't be sitting at home, it would be a shortened season. I might do it short term so I could say I played in the NHL, but there is no way I'd stick around long term if my salary was $200k. Constantly on the road, late nights, early mornings, one or two scheduled days off a month, decent chance of injury, I'm good.

Regardless of how much one makes, it would suck to have your pay cut that much and the guys on the lower end of the pay scale are definitely going to feel it.