Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Banned

I think the governments could spend money to help promote buying from places shutdown and even creating e-commerce portals that they could use . Why not promote to have get your dinner delivered days?
Everyone is still buying but only on Amazon . That doesn’t help local businesses . And stop ordering from skip the dishes or Uber eats. Have a waiter be the delivery driver.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
In the last 5 months or so whether it be Sherwood Park, Edmonton or Nisku. I have notice only 3-5 people not wearing a mask when in an indoor public place. I see an amazing amount of mask compliance but cases are rising.
This !
Old 11-16-2020, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
I think the governments could spend money to help promote buying from places shutdown and even creating e-commerce portals that they could use . Why not promote to have get your dinner delivered days?
Everyone is still buying but only on Amazon . That doesn’t help local businesses . And stop ordering from skip the dishes or Uber eats. Have a waiter be the delivery driver.
I would guess better than 50% of waiters don't even drive
Old 11-16-2020, 11:10 PM

Some towns are imposing more strict rules. Canmore just put limits on bar operating hours. I can't see it helping amything. Realistically with further government funding lockdowns are an empty threat. All the politicians know that most citizens are so swamped in debt that a month of no pay would bankrult plenty of us.

Lots of folks are posting stats about lock downs. As far as I can't tell alberta has yet to be truly locked down. There's been no stay at home or shelter in place orders. Little in the way of actual policing. The danger comes if we get an actual lockdown. Then the mental health problems are going to skyrocket.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
There's plenty of folks buying from small businesses. Also some of the businesses have dug their own graves well before this started.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:32 AM

Costco just brought in a company wide policy, no mask or face shield no entry.
No exceptions, if you have a medical exemption from masks you have to wear a face shield.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-17-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Municipalities do not have the power to mandate lock-downs. Only the provincial and federal governments have those powers. Province by Province lockdowns can only be made provincially, country wide lockdowns federally (federal can’t just lock down a province or 2) but don’t quote me on that.

Lockdowns will not stop COVID but they will flatten the curve as well flatten business and the economy. The biggest worry right now is ICU capacity and it’s not looking good. Governments spent what they didn’t have back in the spring. There ain’t no more bailout monies left likely without passing the point of no return fiscally. She could get pretty tough going here more so than it already is. We go lockdown again like in the spring and many folks will be hurtin. Extremely difficult decision to be made if your a Premier or Prime Minister.

Agree with other post, freedom comes with responsibility and common sense. Unfortunately for some people those are commonly replaced with entitlement and stupidity.
I'm going to plagiarize your last paragraph. It represents 2020 - 100%.

Dodger.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:59 AM

This should be everyone's largest fear. Covid will eventually pass, but what will our countries be like after the "great reset"?

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuck...ns-great-reset
Old 11-17-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanCretien View Post
Dr Henshaw has been right more than wrong and I’m thankful that the GOA isn’t freaking out about a virus that has killed exactly 0 people under 65 in my entire county since it was discovered.
Wrong. Grande Prairie's first death from Covid was a man in his thirties.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
With underlining health conditions...
Old 11-17-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Some towns are imposing more strict rules. Canmore just put limits on bar operating hours. I can't see it helping amything. Realistically with further government funding lockdowns are an empty threat. All the politicians know that most citizens are so swamped in debt that a month of no pay would bankrult plenty of us.

Lots of folks are posting stats about lock downs. As far as I can't tell alberta has yet to be truly locked down. There's been no stay at home or shelter in place orders. Little in the way of actual policing. The danger comes if we get an actual lockdown. Then the mental health problems are going to skyrocket.
As of today 45 new cases in Banff
" " " " 13 new cases in Canmore
Ski hills open, bars and restaurants open, local grocery stores packed with tourists, hopefully Darwin will win this round and cull the herd. Bring on the lockdown.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
No exceptions, if you have a medical exemption from masks you have to wear a face shield.
Costco’s In Edmonton and Sherwood Park have been complying to this for months due to municipal bylaws../
Old 11-17-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Bring on the lockdown.
How would that affect your job?
Old 11-17-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
In the last 5 months or so whether it be Sherwood Park, Edmonton or Nisku. I have notice only 3-5 people not wearing a mask when in an indoor public place. I see an amazing amount of mask compliance but cases are rising.
Agree.

I see less than that not wearing a mask in my travels and I too wonder why were spiking so bad when compliance seems to be very good. At all stores I frequent, all are sanitizing coming in and going out, I rarely see someone without a mask and social distancing is still being done for the most part.

There can't be that many home parties/get togethers going on behind the scenes to cause the climbing rates. I am not seeing the non compliance that other seem to think is out there.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I'm retired with underlying health issues and a part time job that would cease to exist.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Agree.

I see less than that not wearing a mask in my travels and I too wonder why were spiking so bad when compliance seems to be very good. At all stores I frequent, all are sanitizing coming in and going out, I rarely see someone without a mask and social distancing is still being done for the most part.

There can't be that many home parties/get togethers going on behind the scenes to cause the climbing rates. I am not seeing the non compliance that other seem to think is out there.
This is why I think it’s the schools. I mentioned before, could school aged kids be asymptomatic carriers? There are no social gatherings going on in my neck of the woods. I’m thinking we are being duped by blaming social gatherings.
Heck we normally have close to one hundred kids for Halloween but had a whopping 20 this year. It’s hard for me not to blame the schools at this point..
Old 11-17-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Coincidentally, most people that welcome a lockdown, are retired, unemployed, or will be paid to sit at home.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Coincidentally, most people that welcome a lockdown, are retired, unemployed, or will be paid to sit at home.
We've been locked down since mid March, no summer holiday no unnecessary travel, waiting for this plague to end and preparing for who knows what to come. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, being retired and all. I'm 10 years on my moose draw and would like to be around in a couple of years to fill the tag.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I’m thinking we are being duped by blaming social gatherings.
They say it's social gatherings, close/restrict the bars/restaurants, have to wear a mask in public, no travel, etc., but then turn around and say most of the spread is occurring at home. I guess to be fair, they've almost covered every possible scenario, so one is bound to be correct.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post

Right actually. I don’t live in grande prairie. I said my county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 11-17-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
They say it's social gatherings, close/restrict the bars/restaurants, have to wear a mask in public, no travel, etc., but then turn around and say most of the spread is occurring at home. I guess to be fair, they've almost covered every possible scenario, so one is bound to be correct.
Yup good point...
Old 11-17-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
100% correct. That was my point of asking....
Seems awful selfish to me. Brutally selfish. These people can self isolate, take some responsibility for their own well being.....but nope.
This whole deal has been incredibly hard financially for many people. Many are on the brink now, even professionals. My chiropractor had a tough go of it, trying to pay the bills on a shut down business as well as all his employees

I don't want to see people in financial ruin over this!!
Old 11-17-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Seems awful selfish to me. Brutally selfish. These people can self isolate, take some responsibility for their own well being.....but nope.
This whole deal has been incredibly hard financially for many people. Many are on the brink now, even professionals. My chiropractor had a tough go of it, trying to pay the bills on a shut down business as well as all his employees

Pretty sure the brutally selfish highway runs both ways.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
That’s what I’m trying to understand, and I’m older and retired. If your at risk can’t you still get food, supplies and most things where there’s lots of people shopping, either delivered or you pick up at the curb? No need to be around to many people at all. Young people need to work and feed their families, what do they do with their kids if school’s shut down? I never see answers, or to many caring about the mom and dad trying to make a go of it. Most of you guys must have children and grandchildren that are in this position?
Old 11-17-2020, 01:15 PM

Besides schools being a huge problem right now (more than likely) our contact tracing has pretty but been failing for the last couple of months. Mid october I know for a fact they were about 10 days behind calling new close contacts. Now they aren't even making the 14 day window and are telling people to self contact trace. Without a good contact tracing system you can't prevent asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic people from spreading the virus without even knowing about it.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
And there are now many people who can not wear either in an uproar about this. I am aware of at least one formal legal complaint brought against Costco already, as it is clearly illegal as per section 4 of the Alberta Human Rights Act. I wonder how many more there will be. Id really like to see how this plays out. For now they have lost my business as both the mask and disposable face shields aggravate my injury.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-17-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:

Problem is that although 0.5% death rate sounds small, by in large the economy as a whole relies on population growth for economic growth. That 0.5% reduction in population will take a long time to recover from in developed countries with low birth rates. If it even can recover. The only other out is immigration which might not happen if there aren't jobs to be had. The financial ruin from that kind of shock will be longer and a lot slower to recover from than a lockdown.

Flattening the curve with a lockdown doesn't just give doctors/scientists more time to breathe and sort stuff out. It also dampens and spreads out a pretty big economic shock.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:34 PM

How many of the hospital/ICU beds would have been/are occupied in Alberta due to the many outbreaks in continuing care facilities? People under 40 may be responsible for most of the spread, but those responsible for the care homes are responsible for most of the hospitalizations and deaths. Not just in Alberta, but Canada wide. It’s a shame really, with strict protocols in place and followed, the number of deaths would be fairly negligible. The federal/provincial governments do not care about the old and infirm, not enough money coming in vs the amount being spent on healthcare and care in general. No wonder most people would prefer to take their chances and die at home. All the public lockdowns imaginable would have had zero effect on the number that have perished thus far in Canada.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowan View Post
Problem is that although 0.5% death rate sounds small, by in large the economy as a whole relies on population growth for economic growth. That 0.5% reduction in population will take a long time to recover from in developed countries with low birth rates.
Not to be morbid, but I've read the other argument on here. With the older dying, which this mostly effects, it's going to stimulate the economy as they by and large, weren't buying stuff. If their inheritance gets passed down to their children, and all of a sudden there is way more disposable cash in the system, there are going to be more cars, trucks, TVs, etc. purchased.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowan View Post
Problem is that although 0.5% death rate sounds small, by in large the economy as a whole relies on population growth for economic growth. That 0.5% reduction in population will take a long time to recover from in developed countries with low birth rates. If it even can recover. The only other out is immigration which might not happen if there aren't jobs to be had. The financial ruin from that kind of shock will be longer and a lot slower to recover from than a lockdown.

Flattening the curve with a lockdown doesn't just give doctors/scientists more time to breathe and sort stuff out. It also dampens and spreads out a pretty big economic shock.

They'd be further ahead banning MacDonalds, pop, and chocolate bars.
Check out fatalities and hospitalizations due to motor vehicle accidents in Alberta.
Not to sound callous, but when the average age of death is 84, you're probably not removing many from the work force.

Flatten the curve....marketing genius right there