Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2020, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but have you not been watching the news or reading papers for the past 9 months? All those things have been happening.
Not the specific examples he cited, at least not here. The egregious fines like 2 teenagers in a car or people using playground equipment happened in April where as the protests didn’t start until early June. You could say that’s not a long time but in a situation where our understanding of the threat is evolving rapidly it really is.

Also you may have noticed that when new laws are put in place enforcement tends to take a while to sort things out. I know two people who got pulled over for distracted driving because they had a manual transmission and both hands weren’t on the wheel in the early days of that. Now it’s would be very unlikely.

No we haven’t been entirely consistent either but he’s not making an honest argument.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The biggest problem is people that choose to flout the rules/restrictions.....
It's really not, not even close.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I specifically asked a person employed by the city of Edmonton , to enforce bylaws, if individuals were actually prosecuted and fined for covid violations, and he confirmed that he himself had handed out multiple tickets for around $1200, and they were processed through the courts. I then asked him how many protestors or strikers received tickets, and he replied none. I asked him why none were ticketed, and he responded that his department was directed not to ticket protestors or strikers, because they didn't want to aggravate the situations. Of course the city would never admit to this publicly, and I wouldn't post the mans name if I knew it, because he would face reprocussions from his employer. Now if you can show proof where a protestor or striker was ticketed for violating the covid restrictions, that would be interesting to see.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7314445/t...-restrictions/

Although I suspect that’s not what you meant by “protestor” is it? Honestly, I think the protests in June were problematic from a pandemic control point of view and I have some conflicted thoughts on the matter. However you continue to ignore the fact that our understanding of the pandemic had evolved between the very early days and that point.

Once it was clear outdoor transmission would be less of a concern due to the effects of UV the bylaw enforcement relaxed. BY the first week in June Calgary playgrounds had already reopened. Silver Willow was hosting events again, I was able to attend a CPRS match in the summer etc.

Things changed fast but these contrasts you are trying to make were not CONCURRENT.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/7314445/t...-restrictions/

Although I suspect that’s not what you meant by “protestor” is it? Honestly, I think the protests in June were problematic from a pandemic control point of view and I have some conflicted thoughts on the matter. However you continue to ignore the fact that our understanding of the pandemic had evolved between the very early days and that point.

Once it was clear outdoor transmission would be less of a concern due to the effects of UV the bylaw enforcement relaxed. BY the first week in June Calgary playgrounds had already reopened. Silver Willow was hosting events again, I was able to attend a CPRS match in the summer etc.

Things changed fast but these contrasts you are trying to make were not CONCURRENT.
I mean ALL protestors. But as per your own link

Quote:
Men fined at Edmonton protest over COVID-19 restrictions have tickets withdrawn
And less of a concern, is far different from NO concern. As for Silver Willow and similar facilities, they are still limited as to how many people can be present at an event. which is why most of our events were cancelled, and those that were not cancelled, were restricted as per how many people could be present at a time at one location. The point is, either enforce the bylaw for everyone, or amend or abolish it.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:47 AM

Maybe hunters should be looked at too. Lady who works at our local serve was saying she was scared of hunting seasons cause all the folk who show up from areas that have covid outbreaks. I'm thinking to limit the range of travel that people should only be allowed to hunt in the wmu they reside in, this will keep their exposure and exposure to others pretty much in their usual cohort area. I know for a fact I don't appreciate someone from Lethbridge, Edmonton or Calgary parking in front of my house and then standing right in front of my door ready to beg for permission to hunt on my land.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Maybe hunters should be looked at too. Lady who works at our local serve was saying she was scared of hunting seasons cause all the folk who show up from areas that have covid outbreaks. I'm thinking to limit the range of travel that people should only be allowed to hunt in the wmu they reside in, this will keep their exposure and exposure to others pretty much in their usual cohort area. I know for a fact I don't appreciate someone from Lethbridge, Edmonton or Calgary parking in front of my house and then standing right in front of my door ready to beg for permission to hunt on my land.
So what about the people that waited years to draw tags for animals that don't reside in their wmu? How about the people that live on the boundary of a wmu, and usually hunt in another wmu? And how about people that have family in other wmus, and they get together for family hunts? Lastly, how about people that live in one wmu, and own property in another wmu?

But if you really feel that way, perhaps we could go farther and limit travel to and from all cities in Alberta? If you don't live in that city, or within a given distance, then you aren't allowed to travel to that city?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-15-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Maybe not the WMU but definitely the Zone. The south end of the WMU you live in was a gong show this last week. Landowner friends say they’ve never had as many requests for access as this year, mostly calls but several household visits too. Hopefully these small communities aren’t devastated by the disease being spread by hunters.

Now a mini rant:
It’s also unbelievable the amount of land that’s been newly posted. The era of easy access is rapidly declining.

The number of tags being issued for all species in these zones is also attributable to the increased number of hunters and the decline of accessible land.

With the lockdown restricting access to recreation more people are flocking to do what is available to them, hunting being a wonderful pastime many are returning to. Hopefully it doesn’t spread the disease to small communities with crappy access to healthcare.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
I agree

The point I am making is the mayors have been critacal. Edmonton mayor with masks a couple of months ago was very critical of the province. Why they haven't made masks mandatory across the province?

My question is why don't they implement the neccessary bylaws and take the political fallout if any? Why not take that chance? Their city's are the ones that are driving numbers up.
Both mayors are NOT ...UCP....pretty much answers the question...So blame the UCP party = more votes for the left next election... Fairly straight forward.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The biggest problem is people that choose to flout the rules/restrictions they don't agree with masks, window tint, speeding the list goes on.
All it takes is one naysayer to potentially infect hundreds
This, 100%

People are SO entitled, self centered, ignorant, uneducated they then start throwing excuses into the mix to prove their point. 'I cant wear a mask (shopping at walmart for makeup) I have anxiety'

Watching people argue about this is like watching a 3 year old lie about eating a cake. Face and hands covered in chocolate, swears up and down he never touched the cake, doesn't like cake, never heard of this cake you are talking about, would argue to the death. It is just because he wants something he should not have and screw everyone that thinks otherwise.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2020, 02:16 PM

Default What??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Both mayors are NOT ...UCP....pretty much answers the question...So blame the UCP party = more votes for the left next election... Fairly straight forward.

Where is anyone throwing shade on Kenny and the UPC??

I’m not a Kenny fan, but Geeze! He’s a Premiere of Alberta.... I think he’s doing a pretty good job.

There’s absolutely zero need for people to hack on OUR government for how the Covid response is being handled.

U just makin this a lefty-righty battle because......... well I dunno why ....

You still (Tr)grumpy?....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-15-2020, 05:32 PM

TBH some responsibility at this point falls on the Chief Medical Officer. WRT public health Chief Medical Officers do have the legislated authority to impose broad restrictions whether or not politicians agree. Yes, working with the government of the day is always better, but clearly, at this point, the UCP is not following the science or the re-closure guidelines/thresholds THEY adopted over the summer. Remember a couple of weeks ago when we were super close to those thresholds? Yeah, pretty sure we're well past them.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:15 PM

What I'm not impressed with is the people that say close averything, are the people that are still making a healthy salary, very easy for them to make the closer a reality and stop all others trying to make dollar to pay their bills.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
What I'm not impressed with is the people that say close averything, are the people that are still making a healthy salary, very easy for them to make the closer a reality and stop all others trying to make dollar to pay their bills.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 11-15-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Where is anyone throwing shade on Kenny and the UPC??

I’m not a Kenny fan, but Geeze! He’s a Premiere of Alberta.... I think he’s doing a pretty good job.

There’s absolutely zero need for people to hack on OUR government for how the Covid response is being handled.

U just makin this a lefty-righty battle because......... well I dunno why ....

You still (Tr)grumpy?....
Here you go again...what the heck is a Premiere?
Old 11-16-2020, 08:24 AM

What if reasonable measures do nothing to prevent the spread? Is it about stopping the spread, slowing the spread? Fear is a powerful emotion that when used to make decisions often results in poor decisions being made. Personally I choose not be fearful, but prepared.

Here are two links, look up others.
ttps://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/coronavirus/2020/11/11/study-of-marine-recruits-finds-fever-symptom-screening-misses-many-coronavirus-cases/

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...ite-quarantine

It involved 1,848 Marine recruits, about 90 percent of them men, who were told to isolate themselves for two weeks at home, then in a supervised military quarantine at a closed college campus, The Citadel in Charleston, South Carolina, for two more weeks. That included having a single roommate, wearing masks, keeping at least 6 feet apart and doing most training outdoors. They also had daily fever and symptom checks.

A study of Marine recruits found that despite these measures and strict quarantines before they started training, the recruits spread the virus to others even though hardly any of them had symptoms. None of the infections were caught through symptom screening.

“We spent a lot of time putting measures like that in place and they’re probably not worth the time as we had hoped,” said Jodie Guest, a public health researcher at Atlanta’s Emory University who had no role in the research.

A separate study published Wednesday in the New England journal reports on an outbreak last spring on the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt. Among the crew of 4,779, mostly young people, 1,271 became infected; 77 percent did not show symptoms when diagnosed and 45 percent never developed any.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
And the authorities turn a blind eye to protestors and strikers that gather in close proximity, and in numbers that far exceed those allowed by the restrictions, yet they fine a parent that takes his children to an abandoned park. They allow illegal immigrants and temporary foreign workers to enter our country, while closing the borders to the rest of us. A teen is fined for being in a vehicle with his friend, but dozens of people are allowed to sit in close proximity, for hours, on an aircraft. That is a huge reason why people do not take the restrictions seriously.
Yup, exactly.

A lockdown will not work. We could eliminate the virus locally (let's even say we could eliminate it from the whole country, theoretically); all it would take is one traveller who brings it from country where it is still active to cause it to bloom all over again.

Another thing is - everyone knows that our protocols cannot contain the virus. Even in a lockdown, it will have the potential to spread due to essential service workers moving about within the population.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Protesters, strikers, AND church attendees, political campaign participants...

Now this:

In the US just yesterday:

A majority of protesters... were not wearing masks.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...6-4de18533c156
If I was 80+ and had a few years left, I would want them to be enjoyable. Would rather die in 6 months of covid than die 2-4years later while sitting at home watching netflix and waiting for my kids to call.....
Old 11-16-2020, 10:24 AM

In the last 5 months or so whether it be Sherwood Park, Edmonton or Nisku. I have notice only 3-5 people not wearing a mask when in an indoor public place. I see an amazing amount of mask compliance but cases are rising.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
The biggest worry right now is ICU capacity and it’s not looking good. Governments spent what they didn’t have back in the spring. There ain’t no more bailout monies left likely without passing the point of no return fiscally. She could get pretty tough going here more so than it already is. We go lockdown again like in the spring and many folks will be hurtin. Extremely difficult decision to be made if your a Premier or Prime Minister.

Agree with other post, freedom comes with responsibility and common sense. Unfortunately for some people those are commonly replaced with entitlement and stupidity.
Not sure whaere they ended off but re hospital capacity

From 8 April 2020 https://www.cochranetoday.ca/local-n...pacity-2240354

Health care capacity

Right now, there are 100 hospitals across the province, with 8,483 hospital beds, 295 ICU beds and 509 ventilators, but the province plans to continue to build capacity for sick Albertans.

AHS plans to have 2,250 COVID-19 designated acute care beds by the end of April. As of April 3, 1,935 are available for COVID-19 patients and new COVID-19 dedicated spaces are being brought online.

AHS is achieving this capacity by postponing scheduled surgeries, tests and procedures while ensuring
urgent, emergent and oncology surgeries continue. They are also transferring patients who no longer require acute care to a community setting. AHS is also increasing occupancy in facilities while still maintaining physical distancing between patients and they are opening overcapacity, and new and decommissioned spaces.

ICU capacity

AHS plans to increase ICU capacity by 1,081 beds for COVID-19 patients by the end of April, if it is necessary. There are currently 293 ICU beds in the province

AHS will achieve this by adding ICU beds to existing ICU rooms, converting operating rooms and recovery rooms to ICU capacity, converting procedure and treatment rooms to ICU capacity and using new models of care, such as more aggressive use of step-down care.

Yesterday Provincial numbers:
https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-i...albertans.aspx

Nov. 15 update:

991 cases
9,618 active cases total
6 new deaths, 407 total
262 in hospital
58 in intensive care**
Old 11-16-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
If I was 80+ and had a few years left, I would want them to be enjoyable. Would rather die in 6 months of covid than die 2-4years later while sitting at home watching netflix and waiting for my kids to call.....
Not everyone over 80 feels that way.
The MIL is 87 and wants to go another decade, wont happen with the idiots running around.

If your kids aren't calling, well you know.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-16-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Here you go again...what the heck is a Premiere?
A premiere is a debut.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
A premiere is a debut.
I really enjoy the spelling and grammatically correct police. Must really have nothing better to do! I sometimes throw in a couple things incorrect just to give them something to do. Sorry some of us don’t proof read our posts!
She say sea shells by the seahorse!!
Old 11-16-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
I really enjoy the spelling and grammatically correct police. Must really have nothing better to do! I sometimes throw in a couple things incorrect just to give them something to do. Sorry some of us don’t proof read our posts!
I make my share of spelling and grammar errors. Typos are especially easy on mobile devices. When I make an actual mistake in spelling and grammar, I welcome a polite correction.

However, you have to admit the standard on AO is quite low. A certain level of care in usage indicates respect for one's audience. There were some good, and numerous, examples in another thread.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:05 PM

Sorry guys.... booze and typing on an iPhone 4..... big thumbs....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-16-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comaderek View Post
That's right. Don't need to tie any more trout flies, curling here is shut down, can't visit my son's family, and still a bit early for ice fishing. So I'll be policing in between watching NFL games...
Old 11-16-2020, 06:10 PM

Interesting opinions from doctors.

https://torontosun.com/news/provinci...tBbipEUE1HZqLI
Old 11-16-2020, 06:14 PM

duplicate
Old 11-16-2020, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I make my share of spelling and grammar errors. Typos are especially easy on mobile devices. When I make an actual mistake in spelling and grammar, I welcome a polite correction.

However, you have to admit the standard on AO is quite low. A certain level of care in usage indicates respect for one's audience. There were some good, and numerous, examples in another thread.
You don't say
Old 11-16-2020, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Sorry guys.... booze and typing on an iPhone 4..... big thumbs....
OK OK, you won 75 bottles of booze, you don't have to finish them week
Old 11-16-2020, 07:31 PM

Not sure why you folks think lockdowns don't work? They certainly have been shown to work, during this very pandemic in fact!

Anyhow, it's all about values. Keep the economic engine going and spend a few lives, or save a few lives at the expense of the economy.