Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2020, 10:26 PM

Default Restrictions for covid

With the rising cases why don't the mayor's of Edmonton and Calgary take the measures to lockdown their city's?

Pass bylaws that shut down what they feel will be best for their citizens.

They passed mask bylaws, why not shut down what they feel is necessary?

Politics on their part, easier to blame the province?
Old 11-14-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
With the rising cases why don't the mayor's of Edmonton and Calgary take the measures to lockdown their city's?

They passed mask bylaws, why not shut down what they feel is necessary?

Politics on their part, easier to blame the province?
Bankrupt what business they feel best for their citizens? That'll help a bunch
Old 11-14-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
They likely are doing what's best, or at least trying to, for the vast majority of them.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
But it seems they feel the province should be doing more. I'm not for restrictions but maybe they should be the ones who will take the political chances.

It seems they have been critacal of how the province has handled this.

Why not have them take the fallout if they make a poor decision?

Wouldn't this fall in an area they could control?
Old 11-14-2020, 11:00 PM

Lockdowns haven't worked.

However I wish people understood with personal freedom, comes personal responsibility.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post

However I wish people understood with personal freedom, comes personal responsibility.
I agree

The point I am making is the mayors have been critacal. Edmonton mayor with masks a couple of months ago was very critical of the province. Why they haven't made masks mandatory across the province?

My question is why don't they implement the neccessary bylaws and take the political fallout if any? Why not take that chance? Their city's are the ones that are driving numbers up.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
I agree

The point I am making is the mayors have been critacal. Edmonton mayor with masks a couple of months ago was very critical of the province. Why they haven't made masks mandatory across the province?

My question is why don't they implement the neccessary bylaws and take the political fallout if any? Why not take that chance? Their city's are the ones that are driving numbers up.
simple
then the mayors couldn't blame someone else for the rising numbers in their cities.
the nit wit in Calgary has done nothing but blame others
Old 11-15-2020, 05:30 AM

No matter what restrictions are applied the number of cases will increase. It’s the season and COVID seems to blow up once it hits a certain level in the population

The only thing that has proven effective is harsh restrictions early to stop case numbers from taking hold. Even this has caused New Zealand to basically have reoccurring lockdowns though. Canada didn’t do this so it’s too late now so we now wait till it runs it’s coarse

We have less control of this than people think. But it makes people feel safer to think they can stop Covid with restrictions and even better that people can point their fingers at others at others blaming them for the spread of Covid

You can’t stop Covid but you can control how you act during this outbreak
Old 11-15-2020, 05:54 AM

Municipalities do not have the power to mandate lock-downs. Only the provincial and federal governments have those powers. Province by Province lockdowns can only be made provincially, country wide lockdowns federally (federal can’t just lock down a province or 2) but don’t quote me on that.

Lockdowns will not stop COVID but they will flatten the curve as well flatten business and the economy. The biggest worry right now is ICU capacity and it’s not looking good. Governments spent what they didn’t have back in the spring. There ain’t no more bailout monies left likely without passing the point of no return fiscally. She could get pretty tough going here more so than it already is. We go lockdown again like in the spring and many folks will be hurtin. Extremely difficult decision to be made if your a Premier or Prime Minister.

Agree with other post, freedom comes with responsibility and common sense. Unfortunately for some people those are commonly replaced with entitlement and stupidity.

Last edited by Penner; 11-15-2020 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
How not to get reelected.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:19 AM

The biggest problem is people that choose to flout the rules/restrictions they don't agree with masks, window tint, speeding the list goes on.
All it takes is one naysayer to potentially infect hundreds
Old 11-15-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The biggest problem is people that choose to flout the rules/restrictions they don't agree with masks, window tint, speeding the list goes on.
All it takes is one naysayer to potentially infect hundreds
And the authorities turn a blind eye to protestors and strikers that gather in close proximity, and in numbers that far exceed those allowed by the restrictions, yet they fine a parent that takes his children to an abandoned park. They allow illegal immigrants and temporary foreign workers to enter our country, while closing the borders to the rest of us. A teen is fined for being in a vehicle with his friend, but dozens of people are allowed to sit in close proximity, for hours, on an aircraft. That is a huge reason why people do not take the restrictions seriously.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Why would you say that? In areas with increasing cases, lockdowns chocked the virus and brought the new infection rate down significantly. The flattening the curve is well known.

If people continue to ignore common sense and have private socials and not wear masks and wash hands...and in turn infections continue to up...there becomes a point where a lockdown is inevitable to protect the healthcare system.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-15-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:

That’s like the old line among pandemic experts that border closures and quarantines don’t work and that they just impoverish the poor. (Similarly the idea of public mask wearing doesn't work because the public won’t wear them properly.)

However that simplistic “don’t work” attitude led to the hesitancy to try such measures in the short term when cases were first appearing.

I think the reality was that quarantines, lockdowns, border closures don’t work in the long term. I think in the short term especially at the first sign of a viral outbreak they might be useful tools that might give society a better chance of not only “flattening the curve” but even quashing a new virus completely.

Once its a full blown pandemic I doubt anything works very well at all.

Maybe a whack-a-mole approach of regional targeted lockdowns might work over time. Allow most areas to stay open and rotate through most affected areas while discouraging interactions between locked down and non-locked down sectors, neighbourhoods, etc.

Unfortunately I hear every day businesses complaining that the rules are confusing, inconsistent, etc. So that creates a pressure for broad-based rules applying to all.

Last edited by KinAlberta; 11-15-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And the authorities turn a blind eye to protestors and strikers that gather in close proximity, and in numbers that far exceed those allowed by the restrictions, yet they fine a parent that takes his children to an abandoned park. They allow illegal immigrants and temporary foreign workers to enter our country, while closing the borders to the rest of us. A teen is fined for being in a vehicle with his friend, but dozens of people are allowed to sit in close proximity, for hours, on an aircraft. That is a huge reason why people do not take the restrictions seriously.
Protesters, strikers, AND church attendees, political campaign participants...

Now this:
Quote:
Many snowbirds flocking south despite Canadian government's plea to seniors to stay home | CBC News

“... The Canadian Snowbird Association estimates that around 30 per cent of its more than 110,000 members will head to the United States Sunbelt this winter — despite soaring COVID-19 cases in the country and the Canada-U.S. land border closure to non-essential traffic.

Snowbirds can still fly to the U.S. and ship their cars. But the Canadian government is asking seniors to think twice before leaving the country, because their age makes them more susceptible to falling seriously ill from COVID-19.
...”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sno...d-19-1.5799456

In the US just yesterday:

A majority of protesters... were not wearing masks.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/l...6-4de18533c156

Last edited by KinAlberta; 11-15-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Municipalities do not have the power to mandate lock-downs. Only the provincial and federal governments have those powers. Province by Province lockdowns can only be made provincially, country wide lockdowns federally (federal can’t just lock down a province or 2) but don’t quote me on that.

Lockdowns will not stop COVID but they will flatten the curve as well flatten business and the economy. The biggest worry right now is ICU capacity and it’s not looking good. Governments spent what they didn’t have back in the spring. There ain’t no more bailout monies left likely without passing the point of no return fiscally. She could get pretty tough going here more so than it already is. We go lockdown again like in the spring and many folks will be hurtin. Extremely difficult decision to be made if your a Premier or Prime Minister.

Agree with other post, freedom comes with responsibility and common sense. Unfortunately for some people those are commonly replaced with entitlement and stupidity.
I think you're right that municipalities don't have the jurisdictional authority to enforce a lockdown.

I'm also thinking that municipalities don't have the authority to mandate masks which is why I think it's likely that the municipalities that passed mask bylaws added so many types of exemptions that it's pretty much voluntary to wear a mask. (at least the bylaws that I've read) But they had to be seen to be doing something. So, they passed a bylaw, and didn't really spend time advertising the exemptions that practically makes wearing a mask voluntary.

People have the idea that it's mandatory with no exemptions though.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post

Now this:

The point being, that the restrictions are not being enforced uniformly, as they need to be, in order for them to be effective.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:43 AM

I'm not anti- covid, my brother and his wife had it, cousin and his wife, sister in-law and her family. but it's been proven that more harm than good came from the initial lock-down. Citizens need to be more responsible and held accountable.
Wash your dang hands and wear your stupid masks properly.
Stay home if you are sick and stop touching your face and everything around you.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post

Now this:

I saw that. Which is there right. No one cried when blm and antifa rioted in the streets burning down businesses and killing cops. And recently the mayor of ****cago who attends a "president elect" party with all her Democrat friends in the streets then tells everyone that Thanksgiving is canceled and to not go see family.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
I'm not anti- covid, my brother and his wife had it, cousin and his wife, sister in-law and her family. but it's been proven that more harm than good came from the initial lock-down. Citizens need to be more responsible and held accountable.
Wash your dang hands and wear your stupid masks properly.
Stay home if you are sick and stop touching your face and everything around you.
I absolutely agree with you. But one thing I am seeing now at work is that my coworkers are now hiding that they don’t feel good as they can’t financially be home without pay and wait for a negative test that takes a few days. I know of 4 individuals in the last two weeks that toughed it out and did not tell management. While we have one on the other end of the spectrum that has a high household income and has been off following the company’s guidelines that if you aren’t well stay home and get tested, she has done this 3 times for about a week each time...
Old 11-15-2020, 09:57 AM

Lets remember the survival rate for people that contract this virus is over 99%.

It amazes me how many 'outdoorsmen' are cheerleading the total shutdown of our country for this virus.

Check your heads.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah it’s real easy to point out hypocrisy when you jumble up the timeline like that. Unethical, dishonest and transparent but definitely easy.

So you know, kudos on that I guess.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
Yeah it’s real easy to point out hypocrisy when you jumble up the timeline like that. Unethical, dishonest and transparent but definitely easy.

So you know, kudos on that I guess.
All of those things happened during the outbreak, several at the same time. Bylaw was handing out tickets to individuals, while protests and strikes were occurring. The simple fact, is that the restrictions were in place during the strikes and protests, but the authorities did not enforce the restrictions with strikers or protestors.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-15-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
All of those things happened during the outbreak, several at the same time. Bylaw was handing out tickets to individuals, while protests and strikes were occurring.
Oh really? Let’s see some evidence.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:48 AM

Yes Covid has 99% survival rate, but it also has the ability to clog all the ICU's. Life is still happening and day to day tragedies are happening that require ICU space. There is a finite number of ICU beds, staff, equipment to keep these places running. Right now we are reaching full occupancy. What will happen in the next couple of weeks to months. Are we looking at an Italy or New York scenario? Who knows but callous remarks about it's just a flu or cold are ridiculous. Time and time again we see the senior population in care facilities are being decimated.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I don't have a dog in this fight, but have you not been watching the news or reading papers for the past 9 months? All those things have been happening.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I specifically asked a person employed by the city of Edmonton , to enforce bylaws, if individuals were actually prosecuted and fined for covid violations, and he confirmed that he himself had handed out multiple tickets for around $1200, and they were processed through the courts. I then asked him how many protestors or strikers received tickets, and he replied none. I asked him why none were ticketed, and he responded that his department was directed not to ticket protestors or strikers, because they didn't want to aggravate the situations. Of course the city would never admit to this publicly, and I wouldn't post the mans name if I knew it, because he would face reprocussions from his employer. Now if you can show proof where a protestor or striker was ticketed for violating the covid restrictions, that would be interesting to see.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but have you not been watching the news or reading papers for the past 9 months? All those things have been happening.
X2.
Some people live in a bubble, but leave a tiny window from which to hurl senseless comments.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
simple
then the mayors couldn't blame someone else for the rising numbers in their cities.
the nit wit in Calgary has done nothing but blame others
I'll see your nit wit, and raise you a virtue-signaling moron that makes J.T. look like a financial genius.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:13 AM

Default Restrictions for covid

Very thankful these globalist lawyers are not making bylaws to control us anymore than they already have.
Dr Henshaw has been right more than wrong and I’m thankful that the GOA isn’t freaking out about a virus that has killed exactly 0 people under 65 in my entire county since it was discovered. Hide under a rock if you want to but don’t interfere with me living my life thank you.
Hopefully people can see through the smoke show.
I can’t talk anymore- got to go to a BLM rio... I mean protest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock