Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70man View Post
Has it dropped to a 99% survival rate world wide?
We should probably go back into lockdown
It is more than 99% survival rate IF those that need medical care can get it when needed.

Less than 1% is still significant as this virus has more than proven by crippling numerous countries and cities around the world.

That less than 1% also becomes multiple % soon as healthcare starts to get overrun.

The number of covid ICU patients in AB has more than quadrupled in the last 3 weeks. Meanwhile the number of active cases has nearly doubled. Keep that rate up and we will get to see what multiple % looks like sooner than later...
Old 11-13-2020, 11:39 PM
Banned

Hospitals were regularly overloaded way before covid
Old 11-14-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerbob View Post
Right? Ironically, people should use critical thinking, built on that sentence, and continue the thought.

For example:

The latest update comes as concerns grow about Manitoba's capacity to care for the sickest COVID-19 patients. As of Friday, 85 of the province's 93 intensive care beds were in use, including 34 filled with people with COVID-19, Shared Health Chief Nursing Officer Lanette Siragusa said. There are 63 patients on ventilators, 26 of whom have COVID-19, she said.

The good news is that the flu season isn’t that bad this year (yet), perhaps due to the protective measures in place.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Then why does everyone have an issue with semi privatization of health care? I've already paid for 2 MRIs at ~$400 a pop..... still better than our neighbours from the south.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Haven't they almost all been lip service? People are complaining about how Canada's handled it, how the US has handled it, how Sweden's handled it, how New Zealand's handled it.....

-My brother, and family, can't visit their parents but the parents can visit their son;
-Closing a park;
-You can get in a guys face and breath the same air during a face off but you can't hit him then skate away. It's very easy to argue that hitting decreases the time spent in close quarters;
-15 person limit on social gatherings, 50 person limit for weddings (isn't a wedding a social gathering); etc.

Tough spot to be in, they won't be able to please everyone, but I know if I catch Covid, I won't be shouting from the rooftops that it's the governments fault because they didn't do X.
Near as I can tell wedding venues should have proper PPE and social distancing controls.

Social gatherings of 15 would be private and trusted to act smart. Problem is the home gatherings/parties are not social distancing and wearing masks.

They are sharing food, drink etc and are the main cause of spread.

Only thing to do right now is stop the social gatherings with a large fine. And enforce.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-14-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Near as I can tell wedding venues should have proper PPE and social distancing controls.

Social gatherings of 15 would be private and trusted to act smart. Problem is the home gatherings/parties are not social distancing and wearing masks.

They are sharing food, drink etc and are the main cause of spread.

Only thing to do right now is stop the social gatherings with a large fine. And enforce.
The Gestapo could be busy at Christmas with all those unlawful family gatherings. Hopefully a ratline is up and running by then. Heck of a cash cow
Old 11-14-2020, 08:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Has it dropped to a 99% survival rate world wide?
We should probably go back into lockdown
Another swing and a miss......it's totally got to do with impacting the health system and then spilling of to the economy in order to get everything down to a controlled operation of the provinces and country.....if you people see it as anything else then and like I mentioned thank god you are a minority and are not in power to make critical decisions that can impact an entire nation.....just look as azz clown down south....trump....how did that work out

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-14-2020, 08:48 AM

Interesting fact. Canada is one of the lower country’s for hospital beds per person, coming in at 2 beds per 1000 people.
Japan being the highest at 8 per 1000.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Actually a false statement.

Friends of ours is an example. Hubby caught Covid at work. Felt bad and got tested. Was positive. As soon as he felt ill he hung out in the basement. His family looked after him. Made sure he had stuff to eat and drink. Wore masks when coming to see him in the basement and he wore a mask also. They all washed their hands well. His dishes went straight into the dishwasher. None of the other 4 in the household caught it.

Following the recommendations helps immensely.

Cheers

Sun

Same here! Except for the following:
- No one wore a mask
- No one hid in the basement or separate room.
- Lived as normal with the exception of not leaving the house.

None of the other family members contracted the bug.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

When you are already at the tipping point all it takes is the slightest push.

Something like covid is a double whammy. Not only has/can the number of patients increase dramatically but the extra protocols required to keep other patients healthy puts extra stress on the healthcare system/personnel.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
It is more than 99% survival rate IF those that need medical care can get it when needed.

Less than 1% is still significant as this virus has more than proven by crippling numerous countries and cities around the world.

That less than 1% also becomes multiple % soon as healthcare starts to get overrun.

The number of covid ICU patients in AB has more than quadrupled in the last 3 weeks. Meanwhile the number of active cases has nearly doubled. Keep that rate up and we will get to see what multiple % looks like sooner than later...
It is also important to consider that even if the actual death % compared to actual cases is 0.5% that it is still not something that is insignificant, even economically. Why in most of the developed world we're lucky if the government spends a lot of $$ and the economy grows by about 2-3%. The main factor in economic growth is the amount of money that people spend every year on new stuff. That 0.5% cut in population is essentially a permanent 0.5% cut to consumption and economic growth until immunity is obtained. That is a huge negative shift in the economy that could last years if the virus is left to run rampant. To counter that sort of impact on the population you would really need higher birth rates (which has no immediate impact) or a decent chunk of immigration. Flattening the curve doesn't just give scientists and doctors more time to sort things out. It also spreads out the economic impact over a greater time span.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:21 PM

Most areas in the US running low on ICU beds due to Covid.

It’s going to hit them like Italy early on. Triaging patients. Insurance. Get treated maybe?

50 years old with Covid get a bed while a 60 year old heart attack dies?

Some true tragedy coming over the next month. The senior snow birds better isolate hard down in Florida. They may have insurance... but that doesn’t guarantee a bed for a 73 year old Canadian in Florida.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-15-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Most areas in the US running low on ICU beds due to Covid.

It’s going to hit them like Italy early on. Triaging patients. Insurance. Get treated maybe?

50 years old with Covid get a bed while a 60 year old heart attack dies?

Some true tragedy coming over the next month. The senior snow birds better isolate hard down in Florida. They may have insurance... but that doesn’t guarantee a bed for a 73 year old Canadian in Florida.
As long as taxpayers don't put up a penny to help the idiots come back to Canada when their insurance runs out......
Old 11-15-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
As long as taxpayers don't put up a penny to help the idiots come back to Canada when their insurance runs out......
Why not? People who are snowbirds likely contributed far more in taxes during their life than people who cannot afford to be snowbirds.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Why not? People who are snowbirds likely contributed far more in taxes during their life than people who cannot afford to be snowbirds.
Poor decisions have consequences........
Old 11-15-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Poor decisions have consequences........
What about people who are overweight and are diabetic? Should we not treat them equally due to poor decisions?
Old 11-15-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:

So what? Traveled south into a high infection area of their own volition. Very selfish not yo mention stupid. Once there they should be treated no different than an American trying to come here. Sorry, doors are closed until the pandemic eases.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
So what? Traveled south into a high infection area of their own volition. Very selfish not yo mention stupid. Once there they should be treated no different than an American trying to come here. Sorry, doors are closed until the pandemic eases.
Thats not the Canadian way. We gave Omar Khadr a terrorist 10.5 million dollars, why not help out a senior that is escaping winter?
Old 11-15-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Considering many of the states they may be heading too have set up auxiliary hospitals due to lack of beds they may be in for a shock, should they get sick. They kinda deserve what ever happens......
Old 11-15-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Thats not the Canadian way. We gave Omar Khadr a terrorist 10.5 million dollars, why not help out a senior that is escaping winter?
The difference is that they won't even be eligible for an air transport due to infection issues. If they end up really sick, they will end up financially ruined.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
The difference is that they won't even be eligible for an air transport due to infection issues. If they end up really sick, they will end up financially ruined.
Why would they be denied care in their winter local? If they have insurance that covers Covid they should be well treated. Canada is far from the pinnacle of medical treatment.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Why would they be denied care in their winter local? If they have insurance that covers Covid they should be well treated. Canada is far from the pinnacle of medical treatment.

Absolutely they should get treatment where they get sick (if there are beds available of course). Treatment will be dependent on the how much the insurance will cover however, and ventilation in and ICU is VERY expensive for older people due to the length of time it takes to get them off a vent. It would be a bit of an eye opener to have $250K worth of insurance, and a $700K hospital bill.....
Old 11-15-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Absolutely they should get treatment where they get sick (if there are beds available of course). Treatment will be dependent on the how much the insurance will cover however, and ventilation in and ICU is VERY expensive for older people due to the length of time it takes to get them off a vent. It would be a bit of an eye opener to have $250K worth of insurance, and a $700K hospital bill.....
MediPac insurance cover 2MM and is Covid guaranteed.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:37 PM

I’d say that as long as they get insurance, and don’t return to Canada sick, then these snowbirds can reduce costly impacts on our health care system.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Thanks for the kind words, their family still worry immensely for her. My son says that it's like she's aged 5 years after having COVID.

She and her family do share her experience, as do many others. There are a lot of accounts out there if one were interested in looking at other perspectives. No offense intended but it is somewhat irresponsible to refer to it as just the flu based on your experience with it. I understand that people are suffering from COVID fatigue, I am as well and this has been hard on all people. If we all start throwing caution to the wind, we will end up with more lockdowns. IMO, Slow, and steady infection rates will keep everyone somewhat satisfied.

I want to continue working but the industry I'm in will be one of the first to shut down if there is another lockdown. I have sacrificed family moments in order to comply with the guidelines and it's frustrating when others blatantly disregard or discourage others from following the protocols put in place by people who know more than I do. That doesn't mean that I'm going to line up for a vaccine, if I happen to get COVID, I hope it's mild, if it isn't, I hope that the hospitals aren't overrun to the point my (and everyone else's) care, would be compromised.
It sure sounds like I had the same thing. For me it started like a mild flu, sneezing, persistent coughing, running nose and a bit of a head ache.
About a week on the only thing left was the cough. That lasted nearly a year.

I wound up with badly scared lungs and no explanation as to what caused it.
Overall my health took a nose dive. I was always tired and still coughing occasionally.
Still am to this day.

For me it started nearly ten years ago. I wonder if Covid may have been here way back then. Probably not, but isn't it odd that anything along that line turns out to be Covid today.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-15-2020, 10:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Those reports will disappear soon enough. Cause they don't fit the narrative.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-15-2020, 10:30 PM

you have hypersensitivity pneumonitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
It sure sounds like I had the same thing. For me it started like a mild flu, sneezing, persistent coughing, running nose and a bit of a head ache.
About a week on the only thing left was the cough. That lasted nearly a year.

I wound up with badly scared lungs and no explanation as to what caused it.
Overall my health took a nose dive. I was always tired and still coughing occasionally.
Still am to this day.

For me it started nearly ten years ago. I wonder if Covid may have been here way back then. Probably not, but isn't it odd that anything along that line turns out to be Covid today.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Actually the death rate world wide from worldometer is 3%.......
So you are saying that 234 million have died from Covid !

That's odd, WHO puts the number at 1,308,975, isn't that closer to .02%

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-15-2020, 10:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
you have hypersensitivity pneumonitis
All I know is the Respiratory lab said they could find no known cause.

However, I do have all the symptoms associated with hypersensitivity pneumonitis and two possible environmental triggers are present in my home.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-16-2020, 06:17 AM

I can't wait for airborne. Are all the nervous people prepared for that?