Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
No. For frig's sake, nobody is saying just let the old and vulnerable die. The point is the question of destroying economies, killing jobs, delaying/upsetting education, infringing on freedoms etc in order to "save" people who already can't be saved or who have a low chance of survival beyond the year. It's basic triage.

The lefties like the throw out "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". In the case of covid, the average age of death caused by it is something like 82 or 83. Typical life expectancy in Canada is about 80 years. People dying of covid have already exceeded the average life expectancy and will be unlikely to survive a nasty bout of a cold or flu, nevermind covid. Never before in history have we quarantined the healthy to protect the weak. It needs to be the other way around. They many need to get back to work and normal life. The few need to be locked down.

This is a clear cut case of lockdown the elderly and vulnerable. No visitors other than people who work with them. No going outside. No socializing at all. Isolate and continually test those who work with them, like 3 or 4 tests a day. Immediately lockdown any who test positive.

Allow the rest of society to get on with their lives as usual. 99%+ will suffer no more than minor symptoms if they catch it.

As it is, the average person has a better chance of dying on your commute tomorrow than dying of covid.
Actually, some are saying just that, even in this thread. Even though people with underlying health issues can possibly live for 2, 3, 4, or more years, it's okay that they die sooner from COVID because "they're going to die anyway".

As for the rest of your post, it all sounds good on paper right? One problem is that a good percentage of the population suffers from some form of medical conditions, oftentimes, undiagnosed. How do we protect the vulnerable when they don't know that they're vulnerable until it's too late? Then there's the 35-year-old father, who was born with type 1 diabetes who takes every precaution for his family but he still needs to work to provide for his them. The 22-year-old student who just completed cancer treatment is just as entitled to live their lives as those without underlying health issues.

I agree that we can't shut down everything again like we did in the spring but unfortunately, that is what is going to happen due to the fact that there are those who are outright flouting all guidelines and protocols set in place. The idiots who are having covid parties, the hundreds of morons who partied on Grandville for Halloween, resulting in a surge of cases in Vancouver and the Fraser, resulting in another lockdown.

The virus isn't going away anytime soon and if we all just respected the guidelines and protocols from health officials, it could ease through the population at a rate that our healthcare can sustain, thereby, preventing both deaths and lockdowns.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Unless you have had Covid spread rampant in your home... right now we just have experiences of friends and family. In this instance a friend and they followed guidelines and no one else in the household got Covid.

So stating it’s everywhere and nothing we can do is patently false.

Cheers

Sun
It is false. Plenty of people work daily in highly infectious situations, and when you understand what you are doing, you can remain safe. Accidents do however happen.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Here’s what I’ve learned about covid, young children make excellent little carriers with little to no symptoms. They love to snuggle with their mom, play with the dog and have a tendency to not pay much attention to what they stick in their mouth. They can be carrying the virus for days when they are most contagious and no one around is the wiser. Now add to that a fairly active and healthy family that show extremely mild symptoms and you have a perfect environment for the virus to spread in the home. If I hadn’t lost my taste and smell, there’s no way you could have convinced me I should go get tested.

I could go through how the entire thing went down in detail, right from my first symptom up to today where I am almost back to normal but that’s a lot of typing. What I will say is that I never go out socializing outside of fishing and trips to my cabin pretty much, we have had no large family gatherings, we’re in Edmonton where masks in public have been mandatory for months and my wife is a hand satanizing fanatic. Kids can make all the difference in the world.
Hopefully everyone recovers quickly.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed. Little snots. Lol. Have had my share...keeping the home clean is hard.

One thing to note is current evidence isn’t showing rapid spread in schools. The private parties at home etc is where the kids are getting it.

Hope you’ve all recovered and don’t have lingering health problems as a result of you all catching Covid.

Fingers crossed for y’all.
We’re all good. I had a flu a few years back that was bad, I coughed from August until November. When hunting season rolled around and I was still coughing I went to see the doctor. He told me I was stupid for waiting 2 months rather than two weeks before going to see him. I damaged my lungs on that one. This time I called in and had him prescribe me the same antibiotics to clear up my chest sooner, before I do damage. I don’t smoke but I have a bad habit of welding and grinding without the best ventilation so my lungs aren’t in the best shape to begin with.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:51 PM

According to Global tonight, 207 people hospitalized. That hardly sounds overrun.

Grizz
Old 11-10-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Actually a false statement.

Friends of ours is an example. Hubby caught Covid at work. Felt bad and got tested. Was positive. As soon as he felt ill he hung out in the basement. His family looked after him. Made sure he had stuff to eat and drink. Wore masks when coming to see him in the basement and he wore a mask also. They all washed their hands well. His dishes went straight into the dishwasher. None of the other 4 in the household caught it.

Following the recommendations helps immensely.

Cheers

Sun
So they all went and got tested twice within 2 weeks of him showing symptoms?
Old 11-10-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
According to Global tonight, 207 people hospitalized. That hardly sounds overrun.

Grizz
They're aren't.

Of those in the medical field I talk to, they are actually less busy than other years at this time.
All of them say October/November is typically THE busiest time of year for hospitals due to slips, car accidents, and of coarse flu season starting to peak.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:07 PM

How bad was it for you Kurt.

Sorry to hear you and your family went through that.

Pm me if you want.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-10-2020, 08:08 PM

I went grocery shopping yesterday for my 80 year old mother.

I figured going in the early afternoon would be smart as the store should be quiet.

Well, it wasn't. The place was packed, and not one person other than staff was under 40.
The vast majority of people were very senior citizens.

At the end of every isle was a group silver haired ladies catching up with the neighbor and friend they refuse to see at each other's house.

One group of ladies were gathered inside the main doors when I went in, and an hour later they were still grouped and giggling in the same spot.

With the hospitals overflowing, its time we get serious and round up all the old folk, lock them up for their own good.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-10-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
They're aren't.

Of those in the medical field I talk to, they are actually less busy than other years at this time.
All of them say October/November is typically THE busiest time of year for hospitals due to slips, car accidents, and of coarse flu season starting to peak.
That is true. However, ICU occupancy went from 16 11-12 days go, to 25 last Friday to 39 yesterday, and 43 today (these are just the numbers I looked at and remeber). That would be 170% in 11-12 days. I am not saying it is time to panic, but definitely something to note and perhaps get concerned about if the trend continues. If it does, it means over 200 beds in less than a month from today. Definitely something to look out for.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I went grocery shopping yesterday for my 80 year old mother.

I figured going in the early afternoon would be smart as the store should be quiet.

Well, it wasn't. The place was packed, and not one person other than staff was under 40.
The vast majority of people were very senior citizens.

At the end of every isle was a group silver haired ladies catching up with the neighbor and friend they refuse to see at each other's house.

One group of ladies were gathered inside the main doors when I went in, and an hour later they were still grouped and giggling in the same spot.

With the hospitals overflowing, its time we get serious and round up all the old folk, lock them up for their own good.
I'm all over the city between 7:30 am and 3:30 pm for work. In my travels, other that the parents dropping off/picking up their kids, many of the people I see out and about are seniors. Can't blame them for feeling cooped up and wanting to get out of the house, but................

Let's be safe and use some common sense. It's no different than the "kids" out at bars and house parties.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I'm all over the city between 7:30 am and 3:30 pm for work. In my travels, other that the parents dropping off/picking up their kids, many of the people I see out and about are seniors. Can't blame them for feeling cooped up and wanting to get out of the house, but................

Let's be safe and use some common sense. It's no different than the "kids" out at bars and house parties.
Yes, but these very adult adults just don't get it.

For their own good they should all be packed away into individual tiny bubbles.

It doesn't seem that hospitals have done much to increase capacity for the expected winter wave.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-10-2020, 09:02 PM

Average life expectancy is 82ish. If I was close to or over that age I sure wouldnt want to be locked up at home. Risk of dying of covid vs living longer at home. Hmmm pretty sure id want quality of life vs quantity.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
How bad was it for you Kurt.

Sorry to hear you and your family went through that.

Pm me if you want.
On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being no symptoms and 10 pushing daisies I’d give it a 6.5. I have had worst colds and flu’s. The flu I had before this one was one for the record books, I remember laying in bed thinking I was going to die. This one never gave me any nasal congestion but right at the onset I was cutting aluminum clad styrofoam panels with a skill saw and I couldn’t wear a face mask because my safety glasses would fog up and I couldn’t see the line I was cutting on. I inhaled quite a bit of styrofoam dust and was coughing it up for two days, I could taste the styrofoam in my phlegm. The next two days my chest was feeling tight, but I had no other symptoms whatsoever. In fact I wasn’t even coughing anymore. Then on the 5th day I lost my taste and I thought hey, that’s a sign of covid, but no headache, no fever, no sore muscles, no sore throat, no nasal congestion, nothing else. I went and got tested anyway. My plan was to self isolate at my cabin since it was hunting season. The next two days I felt fine but notice I was feeling tired and didn’t do much of anything to get tired. Still not coughing much, no fever, nothing else. Then the third day after testing the forecast was supposed to be warm, +16 and sunny so instead of wearing a coat I just wore my hoody to hike into my tree stand so I wouldn’t work up a sweat, then I figured soon enough it would warm up. 5 hours later, sun never came out, temperature never really rose much and I found myself freezing and all I had saw all day was a dozen does so I packed it in and headed back to the cabin. I laid down on the sofa and slept the rest of the day away. I think I had a fever that afternoon, I don’t have a thermometer out there but I had the chills and the sweats. Next morning I woke up feeling fine but I had a tickle in my chest and was feeling like I would get winded just by doing little things around the yard. I felt latjargic to the point I didn’t feel like going out hunting even. That’s when I got the text fro AHS saying I’m positive and to self isolate immediately. I called the wife and told her to get in the car and get everyone tested. I had about 2 or 3 days after that where I just didn’t have much energy to do much of anything. A little coughing but nothing serious, still would get winded pretty quick and a couple times I would wake up in the morning with a bit of a headache. What I noticed was when I took a Tylenol for my headache it would also get rid of the tickle in my chest. After a couple days my wife called and said they were all positive too. I had tons of fuel so I didn’t have to make any stops so I figured I’d go home to help with the kids if need be. Turned out none of them even got it as bad as I did, and in all honesty what I had was nothing too bad at all. Because of my prior experience with my last flu, I called my doctor and told him I wanted the same antibiotics as last time so I don’t end up coughing for the next 3 months. He gave my the antibiotics and some cough syrup (which I haven’t used yet) so I can be proactive on my healing. Aside from a few Tylenol, and now the antibiotics, all I’ve taken is vitamin c, echinacea, zinc and oregano oil. I might try the cough syrup tonight but that’s just because it’s the good stuff that may cause drowsiness

If my posts have seemed a little brash the last few days it’s just my quarantine talking. Doc says I’m probably good to go but says I should limit my travels until the weekend, so there may still be a couple grumpy days left in me.

Oh ya, my taste and smell came back after about 4 days.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being no symptoms and 10 pushing daisies I’d give it a 6.5. I have had worst colds and flu’s. The flu I had before this one was one for the record books, I remember laying in bed thinking I was going to die. This one never gave me any nasal congestion but right at the onset I was cutting aluminum clad styrofoam panels with a skill saw and I couldn’t wear a face mask because my safety glasses would fog up and I couldn’t see the line I was cutting on. I inhaled quite a bit of styrofoam dust and was coughing it up for two days, I could taste the styrofoam in my phlegm. The next two days my chest was feeling tight, but I had no other symptoms whatsoever. In fact I wasn’t even coughing anymore. Then on the 5th day I lost my taste and I thought hey, that’s a sign of covid, but no headache, no fever, no sore muscles, no sore throat, no nasal congestion, nothing else. I went and got tested anyway. My plan was to self isolate at my cabin since it was hunting season. The next two days I felt fine but notice I was feeling tired and didn’t do much of anything to get tired. Still not coughing much, no fever, nothing else. Then the third day after testing the forecast was supposed to be warm, +16 and sunny so instead of wearing a coat I just wore my hoody to hike into my tree stand so I wouldn’t work up a sweat, then I figured soon enough it would warm up. 5 hours later, sun never came out, temperature never really rose much and I found myself freezing and all I had saw all day was a dozen does so I packed it in and headed back to the cabin. I laid down on the sofa and slept the rest of the day away. I think I had a fever that afternoon, I don’t have a thermometer out there but I had the chills and the sweats. Next morning I woke up feeling fine but I had a tickle in my chest and was feeling like I would get winded just by doing little things around the yard. I felt latjargic to the point I didn’t feel like going out hunting even. That’s when I got the text fro AHS saying I’m positive and to self isolate immediately. I called the wife and told her to get in the car and get everyone tested. I had about 2 or 3 days after that where I just didn’t have much energy to do much of anything. A little coughing but nothing serious, still would get winded pretty quick and a couple times I would wake up in the morning with a bit of a headache. What I noticed was when I took a Tylenol for my headache it would also get rid of the tickle in my chest. After a couple days my wife called and said they were all positive too. I had tons of fuel so I didn’t have to make any stops so I figured I’d go home to help with the kids if need be. Turned out none of them even got it as bad as I did, and in all honesty what I had was nothing too bad at all. Because of my prior experience with my last flu, I called my doctor and told him I wanted the same antibiotics as last time so I don’t end up coughing for the next 3 months. He gave my the antibiotics and some cough syrup (which I haven’t used yet) so I can be proactive on my healing. Aside from a few Tylenol, and now the antibiotics, all I’ve taken is vitamin c, echinacea, zinc and oregano oil. I might try the cough syrup tonight but that’s just because it’s the good stuff that may cause drowsiness

If my posts have seemed a little brash the last few days it’s just my quarantine talking. Doc says I’m probably good to go but says I should limit my travels until the weekend, so there may still be a couple grumpy days left in me.

Thanks for sharing your experience Kurt! I am currently on day 6 of my isolation since testing positive and appear to have very similar symptoms as what you endured. I have yet to really have a cough but do have congestion, sore throat, chills, a pounding never-ending headache and just recently lost my taste and smell. I have yet to get better or worse, starting to get really annoyed with being sick for this long.

Fortunately my wife`s test came back negative. We have young children so she has been in overdrive trying to keep everyone safe.

Just recently our kids started showing some symptoms. My wife took them in to the Stollery last night and they were all tested. There is not much information out there for babies which is why we were very concerned about the 7month old twins who have symptoms but the symptoms are very similar to that of teething. Our 2.5 year old seems to be doing fine but we are on high alert and possibly going a little crazy after seeing the effects first hand.

Does anyone have any experience with babies contracting COVID or showing symptoms?
Old 11-11-2020, 12:00 PM

Kurt......sorry that’s happening to your family.

Heal up fast and get back hunting dammit!! ‘I didn’t feel like hunting....’ What the hell!?!?

You must have been delirious with a fever..,!

just buggin ya.

I got whalloped with a flu back in 2009.... I figure it was swine flu.
Took me 6-7 month before my lungs and body would let me run 10k properly.

I’m around lil plague monkies for a career...... it’s a matter of ‘when’ not ‘if’ I get it.

Dammit.

Ps..... 8 does last night....

Nothing this AM..... boy almost tagged a wolf.... which might explain the no deer thing.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-11-2020, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack'n View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience Kurt! I am currently on day 6 of my isolation since testing positive and appear to have very similar symptoms as what you endured. I have yet to really have a cough but do have congestion, sore throat, chills, a pounding never-ending headache and just recently lost my taste and smell. I have yet to get better or worse, starting to get really annoyed with being sick for this long.

Fortunately my wife`s test came back negative. We have young children so she has been in overdrive trying to keep everyone safe.

Just recently our kids started showing some symptoms. My wife took them in to the Stollery last night and they were all tested. There is not much information out there for babies which is why we were very concerned about the 7month old twins who have symptoms but the symptoms are very similar to that of teething. Our 2.5 year old seems to be doing fine but we are on high alert and possibly going a little crazy after seeing the effects first hand.

Does anyone have any experience with babies contracting COVID or showing symptoms?
I never had the headaches or sore throat you’re talking about, I think it was day 7 when I laid down on the sofa with the sweats and chills, by day 14 aside from a little cough I was feeling almost back to normal, energy level up, don’t get winded easily anymore, can breath in as deep as possible without a tickle or cough, no congestion to speak of really, no aches no pains, taste and smell back to normal, all systems were a go. I doubt you will get any worse, the congestion in your chest will just let loose and develop into a bit of a cough I imagine. AHS said to stay in until I stop coughing but I called my doctor and he said I’m good to go, the coughing can last a long time with me because I get lung infections whenever I get a bad cold or flu and usually take antibiotics to clear it up. Like I was saying with that last flu I had, I coughed for nearly 3 months because I waited 2 months before I went to see the doctor so don’t do that. Now I go right away and don’t suffer for so long. It’s weird, on day 14 it was almost like someone just flipped the switch and turned covid off.

I have no experience with covid in infants but my 8yr old literally had e stuffy nose and a mild fever at about 100.4° for one day, the next day and everyday since he’s been symptom free.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:

It’s nice to read a real first hand account of a positive case. You hear so much crap online, and on the news, you never know what to believe. Glad you’re feeling better. Thanks for the share.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I'll try and make this easy for you. They were going to die anyways! Not too many have died that had no underlying health issues.
I don't reply on here often but man you are out of line.
Who are we to say a person should not have that extra 1, 2, 3.... Years.
Says a lot about you and it isn't good.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBuzz View Post
Yes, as someone who’s father died of lung cancer, once he got the news that he would likely be dead within 3 years he sure didn’t sit back and say ‘hey my life is worthless now I don’t care if I go tomorrow’.
He savoured every minute of those three years with friends and family.
And you’re right, Rams post says volumes about his humanity...or lack of it.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBuzz View Post
I had not seen that response. There is no way I can Express my opinion of Ram without using profanity. What I will say is I hope someone treats him the same way if he manages to make it to 70 without dieing from being and acting like the consummate ****(((( (I added the symbols, u pick your word) he has proven himself to be.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
It is false. Plenty of people work daily in highly infectious situations, and when you understand what you are doing, you can remain safe. Accidents do however happen.
In a hospital for sure.

I believe what he was saying that in their homes with little kids, they all had it. In my friends home with older kids only one had it. Difference is when older you are better able to follow the rules.

It’s interesting that in just the last week we are hearing more and more about people we know whom have contracted Covid. One young health adult male is in tough shape. Not bad enough to stay in hospital but was treated and sent home with an inhaler.

Nearby seniors place now has their first case.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-11-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
So they all went and got tested twice within 2 weeks of him showing symptoms?
Not sure. It would make sense however they had no symptoms. The asymptomatic concern remains valid.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-11-2020, 02:38 PM

Amazing to me this post continues. Everyone knows the whole covid thing is a conspiracy, a mild cold at worst, and a minor inconvenience.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Amazing to me this post continues. Everyone knows the whole covid thing is a conspiracy, a mild cold at worst, and a minor inconvenience.
Just here to add more false info to the fire? Or are you talking from experience?
Old 11-11-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Not sure where you're getting your info, but there were 7 deaths today.
This is a good place to look for accurate and up-to-date information.
https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...statistics.htm

Average age at death 82.

Grizz
Old 11-11-2020, 03:21 PM

I'm 60 sure don't want to be on ICU

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2020, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Average age at death 82.

Grizz
Isn’t the average age of death 82 years old for people without covid?

35 Whelen, I’m 48, the past 3 years have been the least active years of my life and I’m just getting back into a higher level of physical activity since destroying my knee so I’d say I’m in the worst physical shape of my life. I’m not saying I’m unhealthy but my cardio is at an all time low. I don’t smoke, I occasionally drink when I’m at my cabin but very rarely drink at home. The last flu I had was bad, like really bad and that’s when I was healthy and much more active than the past 2-1/2 years. If I had a choice between that one or Covid, I’d take covid without a doubt. I realize you’re 12 years older than I am, but honestly if you’re in relatively good shape I doubt you’d require hospitalization even at your age.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:04 PM

Default Covid 19 Strain

Well first off lets thank the Liberal government because they are here to help us and get Albertans through these tough times. Second lets thank Rachel Notley because she really helped us and hey....wait a minute there is Jason Kenny that has done the exact same as the first two idiots mentioned. I feel for anyone that has family affected by Covid 19 but unfortunately we are on our own. This is very frustrating time for Albertans....we were the first to reach out and offer assistance to other provinces with our heritage fund but a lot of the provinces that we supported have suddenly forgot. Lest we forget about and our war veterans and our health care workers....
Old 11-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat175 View Post
Well first off lets thank the Liberal government because they are here to help us and get Albertans through these tough times. Second lets thank Rachel Notley because she really helped us and hey....wait a minute there is Jason Kenny that has done the exact same as the first two idiots mentioned. I feel for anyone that has family affected by Covid 19 but unfortunately we are on our own. This is very frustrating time for Albertans....we were the first to reach out and offer assistance to other provinces with our heritage fund but a lot of the provinces that we supported have suddenly forgot. Lest we forget about and our war veterans and our health care workers....
If you were in Government what. exactly would you do in regards to Covid?