Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
just on the news- 900+ new cases in Alberta yesterday, 770+ and I think 68 deaths today, thousands of new cases in this province alone weekly.

'throw away the masks, its all a lie'?

I do not understand how some people still feel this way?

There's got to be quite a few recoveries per week as well I'd imagine. It's not all doom and gloom, possible vaccine news today, better treatment strategies. We're learning more every day.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:55 PM

Here are the healthcare workers stats from the government:

Old 11-09-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Brother was at the Peter Lougheed last week , sanitation was sloppy and haphazard, they were not impressed. I was at the Caleo health Centre in Calgary, the same and the usual play with your mask and put your hands about anywhere.

Grizz
I was there last week. Thought it was clean and run well. Fewer people around due to visitor restrictions.

They were watchful at the doors. Everyone had masks.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-09-2020, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
You feeling okay Bob? Maybe I'm off? Weird that you'd post something I agree with!
OMG, am I loosing my grip on reality 😂
In the early stages I was most definitely of the opinion of ‘better to be safe than sorry’.
But now that we know more, and know who is most at risk and how to protect them...we don’t have to shut down the economy. Another total shutdown is going to kill a lot of businesses, bankrupt individuals and cause deaths through suicide.
Maybe part of me is crossing to the dark side 😂
Old 11-10-2020, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Here are the healthcare workers stats from the government:

2158 healthcare workers have gotten C19 and recovered? How can this be true? With a mortality of 0.1% at least 2 should have died.....or is there other factors at play?
Old 11-10-2020, 05:26 AM

Berger, wouldn’t that be as simple to explain as cancer affects (x%) of people but in Whatever town we wish to observe, its way less?
Old 11-10-2020, 05:35 AM

Just throwing this out there, not trying to initiate a $$it show but it seems that the number of health care workers that are either in self isolation or forced isolation has tripled or quadrupled since they had their little wild cat job action and were ordered back to work.

Could be just a coincidence or maybe a statement to Kenny, wouldn't be the first time that a union had something like this going on, food for thought.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Most of the new cases have been shown to be originating from informal gathering in homes...not in public.
People have to step up and do the smart thing in their homes.
Can’t fix stupid!!! There is absolutely no common sense anymore.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
How come whenever something doesn't go right its immediately the current politicians fault. What would have you done? Are you considering all of the implications of anything or just at one slice of the problem? Its really easy looking back and seeing where someone went wrong, its much harder to make decisions that will have a positive outcome when the direction of something new like this is unpredictable. Let me know the time and place of a 160 class Whitetail for Wednesday please, or if you don't you have bungled and are a PETA wannabe.
Yes there is a time and a place to complain ,but if things are so bad and so many people have to knock the government why don't you try running and doing a better job, it's a free country you could even become Prime Minister if you tried hard enough, stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2020, 07:30 AM

Let those that want to, hide under their beds...personal choice. Those that choose to live life, make a living and contribute to society can sign a liability waiver. Just a silly idea.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacty View Post
Let those that want to, hide under their beds...personal choice. Those that choose to live life, make a living and contribute to society can sign a liability waiver. Just a silly idea.
There are those of us who live life, make a living, and contribute to society who don't want to contract COVID, nor do we have the luxury to hide under our beds. In order to do this, it takes cooperation from everyone to follow the guidelines set out by health officials. Thankfully, I live in a community where people have consideration for their neighbors, and most respect the guidelines with mask-wearing, social distancing, and sanitizing so that everyone can continue to live life.

Those who are screaming about having their freedoms infringed upon are actually infringing on my freedoms when they flout the guidelines. Why should I have to quit my job and stay home and "hide" just to accommodate someone who doesn't want to wear a mask or social distance? In fact, half of the people I know who are complaining about the guidelines aren't even working. Must be nice to sit at home, collect CERB, all the while telling me that I should be hiding under my bed.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:39 AM

Right from the Gov website this morning. 192 people in hospital across ALL of Alberta and 39 in ICU. How is this remotely close to overwhelming Alberta Hospitals. Case count is way up, so is testing. Case count has been up for at least two weeks, very little increase in hospitalizations yet there are still all kinds of people who can't get treatment for very serious conditions. I don't say do things that will cause you to catch Covid, but locking down the economy again is NOT the answer, nor is letting people die from not getting proper medical attention.

current hospitalizations
current ICU
total deaths ⚱
active cases
active cases, Edmonton Zone
82 years
average age at death
Old 11-10-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Not how I see it... for months Alberta (Kenney) was applauded as handling Covid better than most.
We are in the second wave, as predicted.
We can’t shut down the economy again... that has been shown to kill as many people (suicides) as the virus.
Most of the new cases have been shown to be originating from informal gathering in homes...not in public. Shutting down the neighborhood restaurant isn’t going to solve the problem.
People have to step up and do the smart thing in their homes.
Just want to add that the survival rate is 99 percent.

BW
Old 11-10-2020, 10:21 AM

I saw it on CBC news lol.

Guess it wasn't credible, go figure

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-10-2020, 11:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Not sure where you're getting your info, but there were 7 deaths today.
This is a good place to look for accurate and up-to-date information.
https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...statistics.htm
7 deaths too many.....easy rules to follow but many don't get it so the rest gotta pay the price up to including death....sad how we can be so selfish sometimes.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-10-2020, 11:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacty View Post
your missing the point its not about a personal choice when it impacts others...minimize gatherings, wash hands and wear a mask when required etc...we all new this was coming with colder temps etc....much more indoor activities...we just gotta do whats best for all overall and if we cant then yup we will be forced to lockdown or have tighter restrictions applied....simple rules...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-10-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
7 deaths too many.....easy rules to follow but many don't get it so the rest gotta pay the price up to including death....sad how we can be so selfish sometimes.
How many of those 7 deaths had underlying health issues already? You see you will never know that answer as the government doesn't want us to know
Old 11-10-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
How many of those 7 deaths had underlying health issues already? You see you will never know that answer as the government doesn't want us to know
Exactly. In all sincerity to those that have passed, no one dies from old age anymore, or the underlying condition they may have.

BW
Old 11-10-2020, 01:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

You are absolutely right. Shame on people for not doing everything the were supposed to.

I read the other day that 290 health care staff from one Calgary hospital have had to self isolate because, well it must be that they didn't follow the rules it seems.

Since there is no way one can get the Vid if one follows the rules.
That is what you are saying isn't it?

Of course I realize that no one that follows all the rules has ever caught it.

So I have to agree with you. It's totally irresponsible of anyone to get this virus.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-10-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
What are they hiding?! What don’t they want us to know?!

No one is hiding anything. All information is there for those interested, right on the government website. Or maybe I am the only one who can see it?

Old 11-10-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
How many of those 7 would have died from the regular flu? How many were already very close to or above the average life expectency? How many already had serious health problems?

This is data.that needs to be shared in order for people to form opinions.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:26 PM
Banned

Default Covid.....

It’s a flu and as such until there’s herd immunity or a vaccine it’s going to continue to spread, why can’t people understand this???

Outside of a total lockup, none of the restrictions will stop it and as long as kids are going to schools the spread will continue. You can do all the precautions in the world but as soon as your kid brings it into your house, all the hand washing, all the masks, all the social distancing in the world won’t stop it from entering your home.

Face reality, healthy people will get it, get over it and move on. Most will have little to no symptoms. Some will have a moderate list of symptoms, and the people with weaker immune systems will have a tough go, these are the facts.

In summary, if you want to have a meaningful effect on slowing the spread? Enforce a 100% lockdown for two weeks, otherwise if you leave the kids in school and keep businesses open, learn to deal with having the flu.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Outside of a total lockup, none of the restrictions will stop it and as long as kids are going to schools the spread will continue. You can do all the precautions in the world but as soon as your kid brings it into your house, all the hand washing, all the masks, all the social distancing in the world won’t stop it from entering your home.
Of course!

That is why there were no cases until the kids went back to school.

How irresponsible of our government to allow kids back in school!

But you are right about one thing, aside from a total lock down, nothing will stop it.

A total lock down that means you can't go out to get groceries, you can't go to hospital to seek treatment. No one goes outside for any reason.

That would stop this virus, and it's the only thing that will.

If washing hands, social distancing, and wearing masks actually worked we wouldn't have 290 hospital staff in just ONE hospital, in isolation because they got infected.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-10-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to understand your point here. It's well known that those with underlying health issues are more susceptible to COVID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
How many of those 7 would have died from the regular flu? How many were already very close to or above the average life expectency? How many already had serious health problems?

This is data.that needs to be shared in order for people to form opinions.
Again, what is the point? That they would have died sooner or later anyway so no biggie?

Quote:
It’s a flu and as such until there’s herd immunity or a vaccine it’s going to continue to spread, why can’t people understand this???
It doesn't take 3 experimental drugs and hospitalization to treat the regular flu. Why can't people understand that the idea is not to overwhelm the healthcare system? Maybe the reason why Canada is doing better than the US is because the majority of Canadians are taking precautions.

Last edited by Sporty; 11-10-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Of course!

If washing hands, social distancing, and wearing masks actually worked we wouldn't have 290 hospital staff in just ONE hospital, in isolation because they got infected.
I didn’t see the stat so I will ask, are they infected or were they just in contact with someone who was or possibly was and needs to quarantine?
Old 11-10-2020, 01:55 PM

Default People Just Don't Get It

Quote:

Face reality, healthy people will get it, get over it and move on. Most will have little to no symptoms. Some will have a moderate list of symptoms, and the people with weaker immune systems will have a tough go, these are the facts.

In summary, if you want to have a meaningful effect on slowing the spread? Enforce a 100% lockdown for two weeks, otherwise if you leave the kids in school and keep businesses open, learn to deal with having the flu.
Why don't people get this???? This virus will not stop spreading as long as people are out and about. As far as deaths go, i feel sorry for the elderly and people with underlying health issues as they are most likely going to die from covid. As long as people from outside of nursing homes come and go, the virus will get in and take whomever is weakest. We can only hope for a vaccine that is proven to be safe and actually works other wise this will continue for a long long time. REALITY CHECK
Old 11-10-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Actually a false statement.

Friends of ours is an example. Hubby caught Covid at work. Felt bad and got tested. Was positive. As soon as he felt ill he hung out in the basement. His family looked after him. Made sure he had stuff to eat and drink. Wore masks when coming to see him in the basement and he wore a mask also. They all washed their hands well. His dishes went straight into the dishwasher. None of the other 4 in the household caught it.

Following the recommendations helps immensely.

Cheers

Sun
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-10-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I didn’t see the stat so I will ask, are they infected or were they just in contact with someone who was or possibly was and needs to quarantine?
Logic is fun
Old 11-10-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Actually a false statement.

Friends of ours is an example. Hubby caught Covid at work. Felt bad and got tested. Was positive. As soon as he felt ill he hung out in the basement. His family looked after him. Made sure he had stuff to eat and drink. Wore masks when coming to see him in the basement and he wore a mask also. They all washed their hands well. His dishes went straight into the dishwasher. None of the other 4 in the household caught it.

Following the recommendations helps immensely.

Cheers

Sun
Huge sample size. Lol
Old 11-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
If they were told to isolate due to simply having been exposed, no hospital staff could treat or even test any patient who might have the virus.
If they did it, would take very few cases to shut down the entire health care system.

And it would make a mockery of the measures they take, which is far beyond what we are told to take.

So it has to be that they tested positive. As for stats, good luck finding any.
We only get to see the stats that fit the narrative.

George Bernard Shaw