Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2020, 01:40 PM

Default Alberta hospitals straining dangerously under weight of COVID-19, doctors warn

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nton-1.5793017

I think we should be putting in some provincial restrictions. Even if we did now we would still see cases rise for two more weeks. I'm worried about the health care system. How has Kenney bungled this so bad? He is a Trump wannabe.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:52 PM
Banned

Not how I see it... for months Alberta (Kenney) was applauded as handling Covid better than most.
We are in the second wave, as predicted.
We can’t shut down the economy again... that has been shown to kill as many people (suicides) as the virus.
Most of the new cases have been shown to be originating from informal gathering in homes...not in public. Shutting down the neighborhood restaurant isn’t going to solve the problem.
People have to step up and do the smart thing in their homes.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Not how I see it... for months Alberta (Kenney) was applauded as handling Covid better than most.
We can’t shut down the economy again... that has been shown to kill as many people (suicides) as the virus.
Most of the new cases have been shown to be originating from informal gathering in homes...not in public. Shutting down the neighborhood restaurant isn’t going to solve the problem.
People have to step up and do the smart thing in their homes.
They have stated 50% of transmission sources are unknown. The difference between the two being that it is quite difficult to regulate who can come into your home as opposed to business activity. It's ****ty but its a lot easier for a government to put restrictions on the businesses and centers that are conducive to spread than it is to regulate someone's home life.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:20 PM

I'm still isolating like I was in April, as far as I know, nothing has changed except for those that act like it's business as usual. Don't really care what most folks do, I will continue to look out for me and mine. No more Costco trips for me as I just found out they will deliver to Canmore with no delivery fee if you spend $75.00. I don't think I've ever spent less than $400.00
Old 11-09-2020, 02:33 PM

Most hospitals are not even close to being under strain. Most towns in Alberta have little to no Covid cases and even less in hospital

Now the big cities maybe a different story
Old 11-09-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
You feeling okay Bob? Maybe I'm off? Weird that you'd post something I agree with!
Old 11-09-2020, 05:03 PM

Alberta hospitals straining dangerously under weight of COVID-19, doctors warn

But how can that be? All the google professionals here and Facebook Karens say 'it is just a flu'? And nowhere near as bad as 'a flu'.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2020, 05:08 PM

Mostly the Foothills. It is running rampant among staff.
300 Plus staff one week ago.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-09-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Mostly the Foothills. It is running rampant among staff.
300 Plus staff one week ago.
Are they not following the recommended guidelines, or don't they have/use the proper PPE.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Are they not following the recommended guidelines, or don't they have/use the proper PPE.
Who knows

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-09-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exuberant View Post

I think we should be putting in some provincial restrictions. Even if we did now we would still see cases rise for two more weeks. I'm worried about the health care system. How has Kenney bungled this so bad? He is a Trump wannabe.
Considering the sources (CBC, and Dr. Markland), I may be a bit skeptical. For one, CBC, for the other Dr. Markland. He's been fighting against and complaining about the UCP pretty much since they were elected, is an uber left leaning NDP shill, and checking some of his Twitter feed a narcissistic attention seeker.

See new Tweets
Conversation
Darren Markland
@drdagly
8 consults, 2 end of life discussions, 1 crash dialysis start, 1 resuscitation, ward rounds, and 4 dialysis shifts. I should be shattered but I get to ride my happiness machine through our river valley, and I’m a better man by the time I get home. Slightly smiling face

Sorry Dr. Whiner, but that is the career path you chose.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Most hospitals are not even close to being under strain. Most towns in Alberta have little to no Covid cases and even less in hospital

If your small town patient is sick enough he’s going to the city where the real equipment is. Think long and hard about that one.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

Nope,,, family friend is an ER doc in Edmonton... says is same - not strained or overly busy than usual.

He says Covid seems to be impacting ambulance drivers and ambulance techs. Many are out due to possible contact (not contracted but potential contact with a patient that was potentially positive)

Last edited by Austin; 11-09-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:01 PM
Banned

I never read the link but I was speaking with a nurse. The strain on the system isn’t from covid victims but from staff being quarantined because of possible contact, causing other staff to have to pick up shifts.

It’s a contagious flu without a vaccine. It’s not a death warrant, it’s not even a very bad sickness for most people. Some people get moderately ill and on extremely rare occasions people get extremely ill or die. Almost every case where there’s a death it’s associated with a pre existing condition. It’ll reek havoc in the extended care homes and hospitals, but any flu without a vaccine would.

Is it possible to protect our health care workers? Nope, the only one who can protect them is them. Stopping the world doesn’t seem to be working.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
You feeling okay Bob? Maybe I'm off? Weird that you'd post something I agree with!
I was just thinking the exact same thing!
Old 11-09-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Considering the sources (CBC, and Dr. Markland), I may be a bit skeptical. For one, CBC, for the other Dr. Markland. He's been fighting against and complaining about the UCP pretty much since they were elected, is an uber left leaning NDP shill, and checking some of his Twitter feed a narcissistic attention seeker.

See new Tweets
Conversation
Darren Markland
@drdagly
8 consults, 2 end of life discussions, 1 crash dialysis start, 1 resuscitation, ward rounds, and 4 dialysis shifts. I should be shattered but I get to ride my happiness machine through our river valley, and I’m a better man by the time I get home. Slightly smiling face

Sorry Dr. Whiner, but that is the career path you chose.
Calg Sun reporting 70+ doctors agree with him
Old 11-09-2020, 07:26 PM

the government can put what ever restrictions they want but if they have no one enforcing it its a waste of time and money.

im not a doctor and I don't know the right answers but what were doing is not working.
stay safe
Old 11-09-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exuberant View Post

How come whenever something doesn't go right its immediately the current politicians fault. What would have you done? Are you considering all of the implications of anything or just at one slice of the problem? Its really easy looking back and seeing where someone went wrong, its much harder to make decisions that will have a positive outcome when the direction of something new like this is unpredictable. Let me know the time and place of a 160 class Whitetail for Wednesday please, or if you don't you have bungled and are a PETA wannabe.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:58 PM

I would trade all the $0.50 masks in China for some common decency in people.
Throw your masks in the garbage, use your sanitizer often, keep your distance from others, and for God's sake, if your sick, STAY HOME for 10 days or till you're 100% better, whichever IS LONGER.

That's my guess at what'll help, but I'm not God.

From what I can tell this whole thing has been like throwing darts at a list of choices, except the list changes too often to keep up with.

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 11-09-2020 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I would trade all the $0.50 masks in China for some common decency in people.
Throw your marks in the garbage, use your sanitizer often, keep your distance from others, and for God's sake, if your sick, STAY HOME for 10 days or till you're 100% better, whichever IS LONGER.

That's my guess at what'll help, but I'm not God.

From what I can tell this whole thing has been like throwing darts at a list of choices, except the list changes too often to keep up with.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter as well.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Not proposing a lockdown (though one will probably come eventually), but the suicides “fact” is simply not true. I mean it is true that almost as many people have committed suicide, there have been less suicides this year than the 5 year average.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:21 PM

just on the news- 900+ new cases in Alberta yesterday, 770+ and I think 68 deaths today, thousands of new cases in this province alone weekly.

'throw away the masks, its all a lie'?

I do not understand how some people still feel this way?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Not proposing a lockdown (though one will probably come eventually), but the suicides “fact” is simply not true. I mean it is true that almost as many people have committed suicide, there have been less suicides this year than the 5 year average.

How about overdoses?
Old 11-09-2020, 08:22 PM

^ Probably higher.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Probably higher.

Just a slower version of suicide in my opinion. The same could be said of alcoholism.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
just on the news- 900+ new cases in Alberta yesterday, 770+ and I think 68 deaths today, thousands of new cases in this province alone weekly.

I'm the only one on this thread who has said "throw away the masks", but I never said it was a lie.
Are you quoting me Ken, or someone else?
Old 11-09-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Just a slower version of suicide in my opinion. The same could be said of alcoholism.
In a way, perhaps. Though I wouldn’t say that two are the same at all.

Here is the latest data from Government of Alberta website:

Old 11-09-2020, 08:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Dr. Hinshaw reported 638 new cases today (yesterday) and 7 deaths with 13,000 tests done.......?????

Last edited by hal53; 11-09-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Brother was at the Peter Lougheed last week , sanitation was sloppy and haphazard, they were not impressed. I was at the Caleo health Centre in Calgary, the same and the usual play with your mask and put your hands about anywhere.

Grizz
Old 11-09-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Not sure where you're getting your info, but there were 7 deaths today.
This is a good place to look for accurate and up-to-date information.
https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...statistics.htm