Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 08:14 AM

Default How long should the tires on my RV last?

I think that it is 30 feet long has 4 tires and is parked outside. I have decided to get a new set of 204/75/15 next week and we want to haul it to Whitehorse. Oh and it says 65 psi in each tire. I'll have to pump them up before I take it to O.K. tire here in Cochrane for new rubber.

Where is Tirebob when I need him?
Old 04-26-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I think that it is 30 feet long has 4 tires and is parked outside. I have decided to get a new set of 204/75/15 next week and we want to haul it to Whitehorse. Oh and it says 65 psi in each tire. I'll have to pump them up before I take it to O.K. tire here in Cochrane for new rubber.

Where is Tirebob when I need him?
5 1/2 years
Old 04-26-2024, 12:37 PM

Default Thx.

Thank you
Old 04-26-2024, 12:39 PM

Just checked my records. Bought the 30' 5th wheel new in 2012, weighs approximately 8500 lbs. Original set of tires ran through until spring 2016. Rotated them every year, but they were done by 2016. Total milage was 9800 km.

Replaced the original set in spring 2016 with load range D tires (original were load range C) and got 14600 out of that set, replacing those in 2021. Rotated those every 2 years. Replaced them with a different brand in 2021, so far have 9980 km on this set and they still look new? I expect to get better mileage out of the current set, rotate them every 2 years as well.

I keep all the tires aired up to 65# as that's what the rims are rated for. I also am religious about monitoring them whenever we stop (fuel, groceries, etc.) for immediately checking the temperature on the tire. If they all feel about the same temperature relative to each other and my truck tires, no worries. However, I did have one of the originals feel warmer than usual and it turned out I had a bad wheel bearing that was warming things up. Caught it before anything drastic could happen.

I also am a big believer in keeping things at 100 kph max. What I've read and been told is that trailer tires (specifically) are only rated for usage to 65 mph. Anything above that would prematurely heat the tires up if left unchecked and potentially cause a really bad day. Besides - If my truck and trailer are hooked up it means I'm on time off and I'm not in a rush to get anywhere. Handling a weaving trailer with a blown tire is much easier at 100 kph rather than some of the speeds I see others travelling at - but to each their own.

J.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:44 PM

To answer your question, they claim anywhere up to 10 years the tires are good, depending on if they have been protected from UV or not.

You are pretty close to Tire Bob's shop. I would go see him for the new tires if I was that close.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Just checked my records. Bought the 30' 5th wheel new in 2012, weighs approximately 8500 lbs. Original set of tires ran through until spring 2016. Rotated them every year, but they were done by 2016. Total milage was 9800 km.

Replaced the original set in spring 2016 with load range D tires (original were load range C) and got 14600 out of that set, replacing those in 2021. Rotated those every 2 years. Replaced them with a different brand in 2021, so far have 9980 km on this set and they still look new? I expect to get better mileage out of the current set, rotate them every 2 years as well.

I keep all the tires aired up to 65# as that's what the rims are rated for. I also am religious about monitoring them whenever we stop (fuel, groceries, etc.) for immediately checking the temperature on the tire. If they all feel about the same temperature relative to each other and my truck tires, no worries. However, I did have one of the originals feel warmer than usual and it turned out I had a bad wheel bearing that was warming things up. Caught it before anything drastic could happen.

I also am a big believer in keeping things at 100 kph max. What I've read and been told is that trailer tires (specifically) are only rated for usage to 65 mph. Anything above that would prematurely heat the tires up if left unchecked and potentially cause a really bad day. Besides - If my truck and trailer are hooked up it means I'm on time off and I'm not in a rush to get anywhere. Handling a weaving trailer with a blown tire is much easier at 100 kph rather than some of the speeds I see others travelling at - but to each their own.

J.

I pretty much maintain my tires as you do. I added a tire pressure monitor to my 5th wheel tires, and it give me pressure and temperature of the individual tires right in the cab of my pick up.

BW
Old 04-26-2024, 01:34 PM

Visibile cracks & i think there is a date stamped somewhere on the tire[mfg].Your trailer may of been 2015 say but tires were made in 14 4years is a safe time to replace IMO
Old 04-26-2024, 01:40 PM
AO Sponsor

Too many variables to be accurate. Cheap china entry level versus Goodyear Endurance are completely different. Is the trailer towed super long distances at a time and where is it towing? Arizona will wear tires faster than Alberta because of the heat and the use of concrete rather than asphalt everywhere. How heavy you tow... How fast you tow... How diligent you are with air pressures versus load... Etc etc etc. it will all affect wear. Some guys get 5K out of a set of trailer tires and others get many multiples of that.

Predictability is not the same as a standard car driven in a standard way.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23