Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Just wondering, what do people think the guy can do to help the economy?

Edit: beside the obvious stuff, like handling protestors, etc, lol.
Helicopter money, Trump is going to make sure people don’t miss a pay check if they’re asked to quarantine. Meanwhile PM Trudeau didn’t and won’t shut down travel to infectious countries, and has done nothing for Canadians. He’s useless
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 03-09-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How about stop attacking the oil industry, and and stop making it as difficult as possible for new projects that would provide employment? And yes, stop the protests, which cost the country millions, if not billions. And stop giving away billions to foreign countries, keep the money in Canada, for Canadians.
Everyone needs to start doing their part to keep the money in Canada for Canadians.

Here in Alberta we are liquidating a non-renewable asset and then squandering the cash on vacations in Las Vegas etc.

The people of those destinations are not in turn flocking to Alberta to spend the same amount here. So why give that multiplier effect spending does for job creation to the foreign destinations and not to our own economy?
Old 03-09-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Everyone needs to start doing their part to keep the money in Canada for Canadians.

Here in Alberta we are liquidating a non-renewable asset and then squandering the cash on vacations in Las Vegas etc.

The people of those destinations are not in turn flocking to Alberta to spend the same amount here. So why give that multiplier effect spending does for job creation to the foreign destinations and not to our own economy?
It has to start at the top, promote Canadian industry, instead of attacking it while importing oil from Saudi Arabia. Provide incentives to projects in Canada, instead of to projects overseas. And there is not even a carbon tax applied to imported oil, yet we charge a huge tariff on imported dairy products.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
It has to start at the top, promote Canadian industry, instead of attacking it while importing oil from Saudi Arabia. Provide incentives to projects in Canada, instead of to projects overseas. And there is not even a carbon tax applied to imported oil, yet we charge a huge tariff on imported dairy products.
Using foreign oil is frigging insane ! I think every gas pump in Canada needs to have a sticker saying what percentage of the gas being pumped is Canadian and then let consumers choose.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Helicopter money, Trump is going to make sure people don’t miss a pay check if they’re asked to quarantine. Meanwhile PM Trudeau didn’t and won’t shut down travel to infectious countries, and has done nothing for Canadians. He’s useless
Trump is full of sh**.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Trump is full of sh**.
Trump is NOT full of sh☆t
Trudeau is useless like t☆☆s on a bull!
Old 03-09-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Trump is full of sh**.
Sure he is, lol, but his **** doesn’t stink somehow and our’s idiot stinks like hell!
Old 03-09-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Why does it have to start there?

You can start it yourself. And your dollars will help people around you in your own local economy.

Waiting for government to act is generally not recommended for any change. :-)
Old 03-09-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Trump is NOT full of sh☆t
Trudeau is useless like t☆☆s on a bull!
Let me be more clear. Trudeau is completely useless and is hurting the Canadian economy , but Trump is a dangerous idiot (but not near as stupid as his followers) that is hurting not only his country, but many others.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Let me be more clear. Trudeau is completely useless and is hurting the Canadian economy , but Trump is a dangerous idiot (but not near as stupid as his followers) that is hurting not only his country, but many others.
Is Justin competent?
Or Just Incompetent?
We agree on this.
Trump might be dangerous, but he is very smart other wise he would never be where he is now.
He is very good for the US, but not for any other country.
Why would he? He was gonna make America great again, not the rest of the world.
I wished we had this kind of a leader.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:31 PM

Funny how it all falls into place, the Greta thing. Investors bailing like crazy protesters up the Ying then what next? Total market crash and oil price tanks over nite. Perfect storm but the world demand for oil won't peak for 20 years yet and the Saudis and Russians flood the market even more. Kinda feels like we are under attack here in the west. Our wallets getting hit with missiles. What's next? Cyber attack?
Old 03-09-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:

You can start it yourself. And your dollars will help people around you in your own local economy.

Why make asinine assumptions, that I spend my money in Vegas, instead of in my own province? I haven't been to Vegas in over 25 years, and I spend the vast majority of my money in my own province. And if our federal government keeps stopping projects, and keeps attacking our oil and gas industry, Alberta residents won't have any extra money to even afford our outdoor pastimes, let alone vacations outside of our local community. If they keep increasing the carbon tax, some of us won't even be able to afford to heat our homes, or drive our vehicles.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Sure, what a great idea. I already spend most of my earnings in my own local economy for about 49 weeks of the year. It's in the form of shelter, utilities, transportation, food, and oh yeah most of all "taxation". Taxes on income, shelter, utilities, transportation, food etc. If I choose to save what I may have left over to spend 3 weeks elsewhere to get away from 6 months of winter, so be it.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Is Justin competent?
Or Just Incompetent?
We agree on this.
Trump might be dangerous, but he is very smart other wise he would never be where he is now.
He is very good for the US, but not for any other country.
Why would he? He was gonna make America great again, not the rest of the world.
I wished we had this kind of a leader.
Please tell me when you listen to him speak you can tell he really is an idiot?
He sounds like a handicapped teenager when he talks about how perfect the letter was every friggin time.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Please tell me when you listen to him speak you can tell he really is an idiot?
He sounds like a handicapped teenager when he talks about how perfect the letter was every friggin time.
Ever think he's telling you exactly what you want to hear and you're lapping it up, just like the media? Do you care what he does, or just what he says? The vast majority I talk to have a very difficult time explaining what policy's he's implemented, or pushed for, that they dislike so.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I guess the silver lining will be that a lot of Trumps brain addled followers will lose their shirts over this and start wondering if he has in fact been telling the truth all along.
I don’t think that will ever happen with many/most of the “fans”. But there could be a silver lining and it’s this:

AP: Trump wants payroll tax relief to calm virus-spooked markets

The president himself dove into handshakes with supporters earlier in the day, when arriving to headline a fundraiser in Longwood, Florida, that raised approximately $4 million for his reelection campaign and the Republican Party.

On his flight back to Washington he was accompanied by Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz, who later went into a voluntary quarantine. He was one of several GOP lawmakers who were exposed to a person at last month’s Conservative Political Action Conference who tested positive for the virus. His office said he was “mid-flight” on Air Force One when CPAC informed his staff that he had been in contact with the attendee who had the virus.

Once the plane landed, Gaetz was immediately tested.

Vice President Mike Pence, who also spoke at CPAC, said he has not been tested for the virus. White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said Trump has not been tested because he has not had “prolonged close contacts” with any patients and “does not have any symptoms.”

On Monday, Rep. Doug Collins, R-Ga., and Gaetz put themselves in voluntary quarantine because of their contacts with someone at the Conservative Political Action Conference.

Both said they did not have any symptoms but would wait out the remainder of the 14 days since the contact at home. Gaetz last week wore a gas mask to the House vote on the emergency funding bill for the virus response and said he wanted to highlight how Congress could become “petri dish” for the virus.

Collins had met with Trump last Tuesday night at the White House and shook hands with him Friday when the president visited the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Atlanta headquarters.

Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., whom Trump named Friday as his incoming chief of staff, also went into self-quarantine. “A precautionary test came back negative & he feels great,” his spokesman tweeted late Monday. Meadows has not yet resigned his congressional seat and has not yet assumed his new role at the White House, but he is a frequent visitor.

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., also placed themselves in quarantine after coming in contact with the same person at the conservative conference.

Rep. Julia Brownley, D-Calif., said she met last week with a person who has since been diagnosed with the virus. She closed her office and said she and her staff are “self-monitoring and maintaining social distancing practices.”

Old 03-10-2020, 12:07 AM

Oil is up about 7% on average so far. Should be of some help tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:26 AM

Last time the market started to tumble in 2008 out came Bernie Madoff who now wants early release because he says he is dying, 50 billion he stole and I bet people he stole from died from his moves from to much stress.

They should have brought him to the worst prison and let him go in general population. Or just a nice round hole between the peepers. Over 500 people to this day are still finding things in others names and selling them to recoup there loses .

I bet he will tell all his secrets now that he is dying. They should agree to let him out then shot him after he gives up the info. His son died at 48 years of age from cancer.The stress Bernie gave him probably had something to do with it. What a terrible thing to do to your family.

He is dying for kidney failure and has around 18 months to live, stick an I V in him and pour the Ever clear vodka on a fast a drip .

This time the markets has way more funds and way more cash, specially out of China .how many will be running down Hollywood boulevard with million dollar painting's, greed got them all into this mess.

How many Bernie Madoff's has this market created, specially with way more computer techs out there. The dark web is darker then ever and since this virus started how much of it is being watched.

Just a thought and maybe nothing more, we will see.

Go ice fishing and let mother nature cure your body.

Cheers

JD
Old 03-10-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Wow.... this type of thinking is so narrow... basically calling half of America stupid... good one
Old 03-10-2020, 08:48 AM

The markets opened strong on the news that governments will be taking action to help out, but they have already lost half of those gains.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Wow.... this type of thinking is so narrow... basically calling half of America stupid... good one
It's the keyboard way
Old 03-10-2020, 08:51 AM

Suckers rally if I've ever seen it
Old 03-10-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Let me guess, you watch CNN?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-10-2020, 09:07 AM

Can we please keep this thread about the markets.

I think we know how politics threads wind up

Thank you
Old 03-10-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
and dowwwwn she goes
Old 03-10-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
and dowwwwn she goes
Yes Sir! There is however money to be made! Cash is King!
Old 03-10-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Some people want to believe the worst is over, so they are diving in. At this point, I have adjusted my buy in points even lower. This could easily be a 25% decline, and 30% wouldn't shock me.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
and dowwwwn she goes
I bought big today. And an oil company!
Those dividend yields are huge. But are they sustainable?
Depends on their books.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
I bought big today. And an oil company!
Those dividend yields are huge. But are they sustainable?
Depends on their books.
1st quarter coming up, those dividends are doing to be a fraction of what they were. Pretty hard to sustain paying a dividend when you are losing money on every barrel you produce. Most will be shutting in wells. Not much profit on a shut in well either. I wouldn't touch any producers maybe the odd enbridge or Pembina or trans can but that's just my 2 cents. 😉
Old 03-10-2020, 10:12 AM

25% puts the DOW at 22,000, thinking 30% at around 20,000 looks better. Mind you if 20,000 doesn't hold......