Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 04:06 PM

Default Econonmically - Canada vs Australia

Interesting article in the Financial Post by Diane Francis with some solid numbers on differences in economic performance -- GDP, Health Care, Income Levels

From the article these two points are telling:

" Two big differences separate the two countries policy approaches in recent years. Exhibit A: Canada’s Liberal government has allowed unprecedented levels of immigration, which has swamped health-care systems and driven housing prices to unaffordable levels.

Australia, on the other hand, has kept immigration relatively steady compared to pre-pandemic levels, admitting around 80,000 permanent residents last year, compared to 471,770 in Canada.

Exhibit B: In 2022, Trudeau dismissed billions in German investment to build a major liquefied natural gas hub in New Brunswick, and he even questioned the “business case” of doing so. German companies have since started doing more business with Australian energy suppliers."

https://financialpost.com/diane-fran...er-than-canada
Old 03-27-2024, 04:25 PM

Funny you bring this up my son is presently looking into visas and options in Australia with the plan of moving next year

So it’s been a while since I have spoken to the few people I know there and discussed the state of Australia vs Canada. Last time I spoke to them cost of living was similar to slightly cheaper, wages are a little higher on average, and economically they were doing better with a strong mining sector. Just like things are different in each Canadian province same goes for Australian states.

My son has been talking to people he knows in NSW and they are saying about the same but jobs are a little slower. These are young guys in the 19-25 age so not always the most knowledgeable age class when it comes to economics in most cases
Old 03-27-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Funny you bring this up my son is presently looking into visas and options in Australia with the plan of moving next year
I have a nephew that got his medical degree in Australia as a foreign student and stayed. He is a surgeon and doing very well.

Our son toured Australia several times and wanted to stay (he had numerous job offers) but his girlfriend now his wife wanted to return to Canada. They are settled here with kids now but with worries on the future here, see the Australia decision now as a missed opportunity.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
I have a nephew that got his medical degree in Australia as a foreign student and stayed. He is a surgeon and doing very well.

Our son toured Australia several times and wanted to stay (he had numerous job offers) but his girlfriend now his wife wanted to return to Canada. They are settled here with kids now but with worries on the future here, see the Australia decision now as a missed opportunity.
I have had job offers in Australia in the past but at the time the wife wouldn’t go and now I am close to Australias 45 year old limit so likely going to be off the table. Promised the wife we would stay in Canada till her mom passes(old and has cancer) so I am here till then as I keep my word. With direction Canada has headed my wife kids regrets that I didn’t take the offers in the past. Really I am up grading my education right now to broaden our options if needed even

We have a decent amount of friends/family that have left Canada for different countries and none are trying to come back

When you know people in other countries it’s even clearer how messed up Canada has become
Old 03-27-2024, 05:09 PM

We're getting left behind thanks to our federal government. From the Bank of Canada via Global News:

"The Bank of Canada is warning that waning productivity growth in the country is an “emergency” that can force higher interest rates and limit rising wages for Canadians. Senior deputy governor Carolyn Rogers gave a speech in Halifax on Tuesday in which she sounded the alarm on Canada's lagging productivity rates."

When I look at my T4 and how little purchasing power I have relative to how much income I have, it infuriates me.

Printing billions of dollars to pay young workers to sit in their basements for 2 years will cost this country a $1000 for every dollar that the feds printed and gave away.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-27-2024, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
We're getting left behind thanks to our federal government. From the Bank of Canada via Global News:

"The Bank of Canada is warning that waning productivity growth in the country is an “emergency” that can force higher interest rates and limit rising wages for Canadians. Senior deputy governor Carolyn Rogers gave a speech in Halifax on Tuesday in which she sounded the alarm on Canada's lagging productivity rates."

When I look at my T4 and how little purchasing power I have relative to how much income I have, it infuriates me.

Printing billions of dollars to pay young workers to sit in their basements for 2 years will cost this country a $1000 for every dollar that the feds printed and gave away.

I think that waning productivity in Canada has very little to do with young workers in their basement. It's more likely due to over regulation, bureaucracy, and an over abundance of "processes" in most corporations. Most private corporations and public entities focus way too much on outdated methodologies driven by less than stellar software. Far too often time is wasted on focusing on outputs instead of actual outcomes. If large corporations and government organizations would focus on hiring the right people for the job instead of focusing on the popularity contest that is inclusiveness and diversity, things would likely become much more productive.

In my 25 plus years with the same corporation, I saw it happening constantly. More and more software and expert analysts were brought in to make the company more "lean" and "agile". The result was predictable, get rid of more front line staff. Customer service would then plummet, quality of work would suffer, consumer confidence would wane and then more analysts would be brought in to try the same stale methods. If share prices edged down, instead of making creative or original changes, the low hanging fruit would be plucked, usually in the form of a cutting front line staff. I literally watched the company change from a traditional pyramid based structure to that of a diamond shape rife with middle management.

Ending up with so many middle managers was way worse than one bad manager, as it led to multiple reporting and decisions, or often no decisions at all. Multiple leaders chased multiple goals and metrics which were often mutually exclusive leading to an indecisive struggle between goals and priorities. This resulted in under-processing or over processing, which in turn nullified efficiency and consistency

When the workforce was being constantly slashed and "outsourced", I always found the questions asked by our leadership via "fair process" completely asinine. We would be asked if we had any ideas why the work wasn't getting done on time, why the customers were not happy with their service and what we thought could be done to improve productivity? Gee, I don't know, maybe because the workforce was cut by about 50% and 25% of the day was now spent utilizing processes that were implemented to find out how to make us more productive. Talk about a department of redundancy department.

I guess the only upside is that I was able to exit the company a few years years early with some extra money in my pocket. But I sure feel for the employees left behind and future employees.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:53 PM

I just told a coworker that if the liberals win the next election then I’m seriously looking at australia.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:06 PM

My wifes whole family is out there. I would be very careful painting it as the land of milk and honey. Where they live house prices are crazy high. Cost of living (wife compares with her sisters on groceries) is more expensive. Though some things ie cell phone plans are cheaper. I also have a sister in Tasmania and it is a similar story. That and in Covid their Gov't went insane and alot of people fully endorsed loosing their rights.
We have looked into it alot and in our current situation we would be worse off but it is also probably quite job dependent.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire