Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Nikanit

Default Hunters that claim to be so called "metis"....

Hi everyone,
I was told by a yound fellow in Alberta there about some idiot hunters that abused the metis rights and killed so many bighorns that it put the herds back 150 years. I am Metis myself, I've never taken a dime nor taken advantage of any program in place for Metis people. In fact I've donated my services($$$$) on a regular basis to help out my community. I belong to a non-political Metis organization that is more into the social & traditional aspect of my culture. There is so much corruption in the bigger Metis Organizations, it's not funny. These so-called metis hunters are morons! They probably don't even know anything about the actual culture or traditions. I was so appalled and ashamed of the Alberta Metis, and the greediness involved. I promise that I will always buy a license like anyone else, and if I choose to hunt, I will hunt to provide for my family, nothing will be wasted. That's what the original metis did. I'm into the more spiritual side of this life, and it teaches you to respect nature, and what it provides for you. I would have really liked to have confronted these guys and asked them what the hell they were thinking. They will pay for that disrespect of nature in the end. I still have greedy family members trying to get the family records from me (I'm the only holder of the family tree)so they can abuse the system, it makes me sick and ashamed! But I cannot deny my heritage, at least I'm a respectable Metis lady that would never take advantage of anything. So please don't ever sour out on me when you discover my heritage, I'm a good & kind person. Thats just my 2 cents folks, I'm so sorry all you have to witness these atrocities!!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:25 PM
honda450

Default Re: Hunters that claim to be so called "metis"...

High five to you. I wish you well.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:32 PM
lilsundance

Nikanit, not to worry. There are a lot of members here who think and act just like you do. For you and them, I have nothing but respect. For any other person who chooses to disrespect the wildlife in this province, well I lump them all into one group. And that group is poachers, doesn't matter what race or color your skin is, to me they are nothing but poachers and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. It is unfortunate that some only get a slap while others get the punishment they deserve.
God bless you for thinking of our fish and wildlife first and your interaction with it second.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:43 PM
honda450

Well said lilsundance. We just got to get more people to think on the same wave.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Tucumseh

Nikanit,
I admire and respect what you stand for. As for the other so called Metis hunters who abuse our resources, they are nothing more than legalized poachers. Lets hope that will soon end.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Boss442

The sheep that were taken in the Crowsnest Pass proven to be Metis hunters? If not someone should use thier brain before speaking. If you are even what you claim to be metis!!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Nikanit

yes I am, and the guys were card carrying metis hunters. I understand they actually mocked the other hunters. It was also known over here in BC and written about in the newspaper.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Tucumseh

Isn't it funny how some react to her statement. I wonder why?:rolleyes
Old 04-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Northern Hunting Mom

It is great to hear a common sense ethical voice from your side. I know there are many others out there that need to coome forward. I can understand how dangerous it can be for you to make a larger voice. Good for you.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Nikanit

Thanks everyone,
I am quite a fearless gal for what I believe in.

I want my son to be able to enjoy seeing wildlife, as well as my future grandchildren (next year, YAY!!! ). I've taught both of my kids (Grown daughter) to respect all earths creatures and the environment. I've been fishing for almost 35 years, and I've learned these lessons from my Metis grandfather, who provided for his own family (they all did) when he was a boy in Lebret, Sask. They never took more than what they needed, and he taught me everything he knew. Strangly enough, I have 4 brothers who never fished or hunted. HA HA
Old 04-07-2007, 09:31 PM
SnowRoad

(This message was left blank)
Old 04-07-2007, 09:35 PM
honda450

No. I don't think he missed the boat. He said what he thought and I agree.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:09 PM
SnowRoad

(This message was left blank)
Old 04-07-2007, 11:08 PM
Mackaylake

As far as I know, nobody has been charged with the poaching and waste of the sheep in the crowsnest pass. If you can enlighten us, Nikanit, your story would be more believable. Until then your just disturbing some feces!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:40 PM
jrs

There were sheep poached with an investigation ongoing and seperate harvest by metis harvesters. Different incidents.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Mackaylake

Thanks jrs, I am glad that you know what she is talking about.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:49 PM
hornhunter

nobody said anyone was charged! the point is these so called sustinace hunters are wiping out herd numbers for pleasure!
Old 04-08-2007, 03:25 AM
Boss442

Tuc, I just call "BS" like I see it. Same old thing, rumors, innuendo's and BS with no facts:eek
Old 04-08-2007, 09:38 AM
bruceba

Old 04-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Mackaylake

"nobody said anyone was charged! the point is these so called sustinace hunters are wiping out herd numbers for pleasure!"

Exactly "nobody said anyone was charged!" So how can you blame anyone!!!!!!!!!!

"the point is these so called sustinace hunters are wiping out herd numbers for pleasure!"

WRONG, the point of this topic is to blame metis for setting back the sheep herd 150 years.
Like Boss says "Same old thing, rumors, innuendo's and BS with no facts"
Old 04-08-2007, 02:00 PM
lilsundance

I think some of you have missed nikanits point here.
Yes she was told that some metis have abused there rights. Now her point was (as I see it) , because she is Metis she doesn't want to be lumped with these so called abusive hunters and tells us why. Even is what she was told is true or not she doesn't want to be looked upon as an abuser of the resource.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Mackaylake

Well, if that is the case, don't lump me with all the poachers in alta. Because there is some white poachers in alta, so, when you find out I am white please don't include me in the poachers ring.

Why did she post???
Old 04-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Tucumseh

Quote:
I think some of you have missed nikanits point here.
Yes she was told that some metis have abused there rights. Now her point was (as I see it) , because she is Metis she doesn't want to be lumped with these so called abusive hunters and tells us why. Even is what she was told is true or not she doesn't want to be looked upon as an abuser of the resource.
Well said Lil !
No need to call in the troops boys. It seems when anything is said about Metis rights or subsistence hunting we draw a line straight down the middle and take sides. Same ole, Same ole.....

I for one admire what this lady had to say and I wish more Metis seen eye to eye with her. Some don't and are ready to send out the lynching mob to silence one of their own.
I guess if a Metis posts a set of clean ethics and you's don't agree with them, she's this, she's that. Why? I might suggest, perhaps you don't believe in equality (EG: buying a hunting/fishing license) I guess if we are not equal then some must be better than others and deserve special priviledges. How about fair chase. Or maybe your one of those proud Metis hunters who shoot big horns on their winter grazing grounds, net fragile lakes, or even shoot pregnant deer, elk and moose. Well, for those of you that do these immoral acts, you better get out there and fill your boots because your time is drawing near.

Don't be ready to jump on someone for having a good set of ethics and beliefs, especially one of your own.
Hats off to the lady! :hat
Old 04-08-2007, 06:29 PM
grandzillaa

I'm glade she shared her point of view. She is a metis who wants to stand for what she believes to be right.

As someone once said to me...."Any old dead fish float down stream, it takes a live one to swim up stream."
Old 04-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Boss442

I don't have a problem with someone having an opinion of the IMHA, I do as well as any other hunter on this site and look forward to some positive changes. But when it comes to passing on false accusations I can't take it!!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Tucumseh

Boss, if those particular accusations aren't true, there are many that are and you know it. The IMHA as it stands right now is nothing more than a free for all. After July 1st that will change. The agreement should never have been any more than what is written in the Powley case.

Seems Pearl took matters in her own hands on behalf of her people. She very secretively went far and beyond Powley and it's my guess that is why she is no longer Minister of Northern and Aboriginal Affairs. It looks good on here!

Everyone remember to take 5 minutes and write a letter to
Guy.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Tree Guy

Well said Nikanits. Your statements create a standard to which every hunter must aspire to, white, Metis, native or anyone else. Thank you for being one of the good guys and ignore the unnecessary crap from those just looking for a fight.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Sporty

Funny thing is that all Metis in Alberta were thrown into one category as soon as the IMHA went public by posters on this board here. We were all abusers, poachers and leachers of the government systems even though many expressed their disapproval of the agreement. The same way that all Treaty First Nations are driving big trucks, own brand new houses, have free education and healthcare and never once payed taxes. I find it hypocritical that those that don't want to be stereotyped do exactly that, streotype someone else. I agree with Boss that accusations shouldn't be thrown around without proof. I find it hard to believe that any herds in Alberta were set back 150 years by anyone in this province let alone Metis hunters and hearing somthing from someone doesn't make that an absolute truth, that is how rumors get spread. As for lynch mobbing and it being dangerous to voice an opinion, come on now, we are in Canada, not Iran and no one is going to be burning crosses on the lady's front yard in the middle of the night just because she posted here. The only reason people are so quick to believe the first thing they hear about Metis hunters is because of the hard feelings the IMHA invoked in people. If I came on here and told ya's that a friend of a friend of a friend of a young guy told me that all the poaching in Alberta was done by white guys would you all be so quick to believe? I don't think so.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Medicine Hat

Default Medicine Hat

Not sure about the poached rams but there were a couple other rams registered in Medicine Hat by these so called subsistence hunters and that is a fact. Seems a long ways to drive to get some subsistence meat.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Tucumseh

Well, well, well, hello there Sporty. Long time no see. I'm not sure if the topic is related to stereotyping, I think it's more about the ladies ethics and how disgusted she is with the Metis poachers who abuse this agreement. Whether the episode in question is fact or fiction are you going to say that not a one Metis hunter ever abused this agreement? Come on now, I think we all know the answer to that one, including you.

You say, "The only reason people are so quick to believe the first thing they hear about Metis hunters is because of the hard feelings the IMHA invoked in people." I don't know about that, there are good and bad in any race of people and I don't think they are looked down upon. I'm sorry you feel picked on. If it were true you can thank M's Calahasen for that.
Have a nice day Sporty and come back and join us more often.
I miss you! :\