Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Food

Default Food

All my german shorthairs started out with proplans dry puppy food and progressed to their chicken and rice adult food. Never had one problem with three dogs and my vet ok'ed th food before I ever gave it too them. Just my two cents. My neighbor feeds his german sheps the raw food log and they seem just fine.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Tucumseh

Default Re: Food

I've given my G.S. raw meat too and it doesn't seem to effect him. Of course he's got a cast iron gut and can eat just about anything.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:23 AM
RyanGSP

IMO the amount of work preparing the food or the cost of premade raw food it just isnt worth the benifits than a quality kibble. I also like the fact I just scoop some dog food into my dog food bag when im camping, I dont need a entire seperate cooler for the dogs food as well.

I hunt, train, and my breeder's dogs are on the raw diet. So far the only difference we have seen between our dogs is the coat dryness. During the winter my GSP get slot more dandruff than her dogs but I cure it with some fish oil. Hers get dandruff as well just not as bad as mine of I dont supplement the fish oil.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 AM
CBR hunter

Ryan,

That's why we go with a 'no grain' kibble...essentially raw in a kibble form. Works awesome and my cats are on it as well.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Heybert

Default Dog Food

Both my dogs are on a raw diet (Mountain dog food: chicken, fruit, veggie mix; and chicken w/bone). I have a Lab X and a Jack Russell. We started on the raw diet for our lab when she was about a year old because she was having problems digesting her proteins. We have friends who've fed raw to their wolfhounds for years so we thought we'd try it. Our Russell started with natural puppy food and then we moved him to the raw food at about 8 mths. Our Lab is currently 7 and the Russell is 3. They both have great coats and are very active. Absolutely no hip problems at all.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:22 PM
RyanGSP

Default Re: Dog Food

CBR I tryed Innova but found it gave my guy the runs so I threw him on the Acana sport mix. I am going to wait a little while longer and talk to some people on that Orijen food. If its as good as all the hype I might switch him.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:02 PM
CBR hunter

Default Re: Dog Food

Ryan,

Orijen is awesome stuff if your guys can handle the proteins. Like I said my guys can't do the chicken thing. It's made by Champion Pet Foods, same company that make Acana, so I think they'll do well. I took a tour of the plant this fall and they are really top notch in what they do!

Just make sure you take about 2 weeks to switch your dogs over very slowly to ensure that their bodies adjust to the higher protein low carbs. You will notice an improvement and I like all the nutriceuticals that they've added in to make a really good holistic food.