Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
CBR hunter

Default Pigeon Question

Now I'm pretty sure Ryan asked this a while ago but I can't find it and not sure if it's the same type of thread. But I have a fw ? regarding pigeons for training my dogs
- Can I just go and catch wild pigeons and use them for training? How would I do this??
-or can I buy them from somewhere....and where would this be?
- are there any regs as to how I can train my dogs with them...other than the obvious that I can't shoot (don't plan on killing them...just going to dizzy them or tie the wing(s)) at them from my back yard in town...lol
- any retriever tips for the use of pigeons? I've got info from dobbs and evan graham so I have the training protocol....just wondering if anyone has anything else to add to them.

Thx everyone!!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:54 PM
RyanGSP

Yes you can just go catch them. I use a 1 million candle flashlight and a fishing net. I shine the light in the birds eyes and slip the net infront of their nest. If they dont fly off them I just push them into the net then put them in my bag.

You can probally buy them from somone who races them and set up your own loft. It is really easy to do, I built mine in 3 days and it only costed me 150 bucks. Its big enough for 6 pairs and their young. You could also find them at a market or auction but I like having my own for easy access and the fact they will come back so I can reuse them.

I am not sure what the regs are but I have had the cops pull over and ask what I was doing. After I explained to them they stood there and watched me with great interest then drove off. So I take it there is none. My birds were banded racing birds though.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Reeves01

Tip: release all banded birds you catch.

(they belong to someone)
Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 PM
winged1

catch away. You should be able to purchase scruffs for cheap. You might have a problem doing the wing tie thing though. It's a cruelty to animal thing.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Re: Pigeon

winged1 has never trained a dog.

you have the right advice.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:12 PM
waterfowl hunter

Can anyone steer me where I can buy some pigeons, quail, chukars for training around edmonton? I cant find any yet.

Thanks Dale
Old 04-14-2007, 08:27 PM

Try here for chukar www.dirtwilly.com/
Old 04-14-2007, 11:16 PM
RyanGSP

I have talked to rick at Dirt Willy and he would be my only place to buy birds if he were closer. I will however buy some chukar from him nextyear once my flightpen is done.

My pigeons have started laying eggs so once I have a few young birds I will be giving a pair or 2 away if your down south.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:07 AM
waterfowl hunter

Dirtwiily only has chicks and I need birds now for training. He gave me some phone numbers of a few other guys that I am following up on.

Alberta is seriously shy on bird farms.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:10 PM

That is because no one wants to pay what it is worth to actually raise adult birds. I know a few folks who started in the business and quit because everyone wanted birds but wouldn't pay a fair price.

Ever wonder why there are so few pro dog trainers in this province compared to the population?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Reeves01

Quote:
Alberta is seriously shy on bird farms.
I know lots of people in Alberta, but this is the problem :

Quote:
That is because no one wants to pay what it is worth to actually raise adult birds.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Duffy4

I have heard people talking about tucking the birds head under a wing and then gently swinging it around a few rotations to "dizzy it" then placing it in some cover and it will remain there for quite awhile.

Is this true and what is the process called?

Robin
Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 PM

It's called dizzying a bird and you have it in reverse order.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:35 PM
RyanGSP

Ya you spin the bird around then tuck the head. I have also had good success with tucking the head then stroking it on the chest 20 or 30 times.

I wouldnt plant the bird like that if your training labs though the bird wont be able to fly away because it is asleep.