Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2016, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Use the same recipe but I spritz them with pineapple juice, Apple cider and red wine mixture every 45 minutes in a spray bottle during the smoking period. Like to use Apple wood smoke.
I like to make the 2,3,1 method but use smoke on the 1 phase as well because the wife like the fall off the bone effect.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Ok!
Think I went through this whole thread!!

No one here gonna give up their candied salmon recepie!?

I just whipped up one...
I'll be smoking it up tomorrow in the AM

I just smoked some whitefish.... Not bad..

Gonna need to experiment on the brine though..
Too salty
If the recipe is good for a white fleshed fish always cut the salt in half for salmon and trout, they are naturally salty. I smoke mine at 180, skin down, until it lightly starts to separate then paint it with a mixture of maple syrup,corn syrup and chili flakes, let it smoke dry and paint it again, let it smoke almost dry and eat
Old 02-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Son #2 coming for a 1 night visit -asked for a jerky care package for the Shambala concert next week outside of Salmo.

Wanted a shelf stable product he could eat incognito amongst all of those vegan hippies

Cut into short bootlaces for snacking

Of course I am prepared for when he asks as he is leaving-"Dad- Any chance you have some spare back bacon?"

Is it just me or why are almost all of your pics not viewable,, kinda makes me sad, lol
Old 02-18-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Is it just me or why are almost all of your pics not viewable,, kinda makes me sad, lol
Not just you. I cannot see any either.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:38 PM

I'm a crazed smoker myself, have a couple of different kinds and in the process of building a wood cold smoke house.
To obtain the best results with a smoker I strongly recommend researching 'brining'. This will infuse the meat with moisture and the result will be moist tender meat.
There is the issue of what kind of wood to use as well. Fruitwoods work well with poultry and heavier smokes like mesquite work well with red meats.
I would recommend joining a forum and looking for good starter recipes. Besides the forums are free. Google "smoker recipes"
There are fantastic spice rubs, brines, marinades and lots of books out there too. Making your own recipes is much cheaper too. Join an online cooking site for lots of ideas.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindey View Post
I'm a crazed smoker myself, have a couple of different kinds and in the process of building a wood cold smoke house.
To obtain the best results with a smoker I strongly recommend researching 'brining'. This will infuse the meat with moisture and the result will be moist tender meat.
There is the issue of what kind of wood to use as well. Fruitwoods work well with poultry and heavier smokes like mesquite work well with red meats.
I would recommend joining a forum and looking for good starter recipes. Besides the forums are free. Google "smoker recipes"
There are fantastic spice rubs, brines, marinades and lots of books out there too. Making your own recipes is much cheaper too. Join an online cooking site for lots of ideas.
Or,,,, I flew to Phoenix, Texas, South Carolina on vacations and two smoking/bbq courses at each state, it was the best thing ever, learned an amazing amount of stuff. Bbq pit boyz has a great site fir recipes as well, so does Bradley. I prefer injecting to brining except fish. As for the wood, to each their own, I dont think any wood taste different then another, smell different of course and most people mix up taste and smell but that's normal. If you run any kind of pellet smoker, be ware of the brand you choose, treiger pellets are hard wood flavoured with oils and it coats your grill with black tar, gmg pellets are actual flavoured wood.Low and slow is the way, in Canada bbq is a tool, in the southern states it's a life style. Let's not confuse grilling with bbq. What kind of smokers are you running?. I have a Bradley 6 rack with a fan mod and a dual element mod mounted in an insulated shed built for it and two green mountain grills for everything except jerky and cheese. Got an amazing brisket recipe I'd share with anyone that I picked up in South Carolina.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindey View Post
Or,,,, I flew to Phoenix, Texas, South Carolina on vacations and two smoking/bbq courses at each state, it was the best thing ever, learned an amazing amount of stuff. Banquet pit boyz has a great site fir recipes as well, so does Bradley. I prefer injecting to brining except fish and hams. As for the wood, to each their own, I dont think any wood taste different then another, smell different of course and most people mix up taste and smell but that's normal. If you run any kind of pellet smoker, be ware of the brand you choose, treiger pellets are hard wood flavoured with oils and it coats your grill with black tar, gmg pellets are actual flavoured wood.Low and slow is the way, in Canada bbq is a tool, in the southern states it's a life style. Let's not confuse grilling with bbq. What kind of smokers are you running?. I have a Bradley 6 rack with a fan mod and a dual element mod mounted in an insulated shed built for it and two green mountain grills for everything except jerky and cheese. Got an amazing brisket recipe I'd share with anyone that I picked up in South Carolina.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Got an amazing brisket recipe I'd share with anyone that I picked up in South Carolina.
I have been meaning to do a brisket on my Bradley. I would love to try your amazing South Carolina recipe. Do your think the recipe would also work well on a green egg?
Old 03-07-2016, 07:44 AM

"I would love to try your amazing South Carolina recipe."

X2
Old 03-07-2016, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I have been meaning to do a brisket on my Bradley. I would love to try your amazing South Carolina recipe. Do your think the recipe would also work well on a green egg?
I will write it out and put it on here for your people, as for the green egg, they are too much work for me when doing a brisket but I have friends that swear by them, a brisket ( for me ) is an 18 to a 22 hour smoke depending on the size so if you can get the egg to hold 220 ish all night then it's all good but I suspect you'll be getting up lots. As for a Bradley, they are perfect for holding temp and the smoke can be shut down after three hours but hard to do a full sized brisket because they are too big and the smoke/heat can't get by the brisket to the stack and they tend to cook from the bottom up. A smaller brisket, maybe just the flat cut to size, but without the cap you lose a lot of taste and basting fat, it's just not the same but still good. I have cut a full brisket in half for the Bradley, not the best but better than just the flat. Watch your smoke on the Bradley, if you smoke more than three hours it will compound on itself and turn bitter, same for all water/electric/propane smokers. The egg or any smoker that uses wood for the Heat are not an issue as the smoke is not nearly as concentrated.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:23 PM

Xbolt, I would love to see your brisket recipe as well. I just did my first brisket this wkd and I am very happy with the results. I use a REC TEC Grill which is a pellet grill similar to a GMG or Trager, just better quality IMO.
Bought a 13.3lb brisket from BonTon, not cheap but I like to splurge on good meat once in a while.
Injected it with Beef broth/soya/Worcestershire.
Dalmation rub on both sides. sat in fridge for 4 hours. (just the way my timing was working out, no other reason)
Friday 9:30pm fire up smoker to 200 deg.
10:00pm put brisket in smoker, drank a Coors in a Stubby btl and hit the hay.
6:00am brisket was at 155 deg. raised temp of smoker to 225 deg.
put brisket in foil tray, added a bit of leftover beef broth mix and covered in foil.
1:00pm brisket temp 190 deg
poured drippings in a saucepan and left brisket in uncovered foil tray to firm up the bark. (I like bark on my meat). Temp back down to 200 on smoker.
Boiled the drippings, then let cool and put in freezer for awhile to let fat float to top and firm up enough to scrape off with a spoon.
3:00 wrap brisket in foil and towels and set in cooler to rest.
4:30 unwrap and separated the point and rewrapped the flat and set back in cooler to continue resting till meal time. I cubbed the point for my burnt ends, put them back in the foil tray and brushed on some broth and returned to smoker along with my almost world famous Mac and Cheese.
6:00 sliced brisket flat and served with warmed up drippings/broth as an Au Jus along with burnt ends, Mac & Cheese and Corn Bread.
Everyone raved about it so I think I have finally conquered a brisket.
I'm computer brain dead so I cant post pics.
I'm always reading up on new recipes so I would be interested in your brisket recipe.

Cheers
SS
Old 03-07-2016, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Xbolt, I would love to see your brisket recipe as well. I just did my first brisket this wkd and I am very happy with the results. I use a REC TEC Grill which is a pellet grill similar to a GMG or Trager, just better quality IMO.
Bought a 13.3lb brisket from BonTon, not cheap but I like to splurge on good meat once in a while.
Injected it with Beef broth/soya/Worcestershire.
Dalmation rub on both sides. sat in fridge for 4 hours. (just the way my timing was working out, no other reason)
Friday 9:30pm fire up smoker to 200 deg.
10:00pm put brisket in smoker, drank a Coors in a Stubby btl and hit the hay.
6:00am brisket was at 155 deg. raised temp of smoker to 225 deg.
put brisket in foil tray, added a bit of leftover beef broth mix and covered in foil.
1:00pm brisket temp 190 deg
poured drippings in a saucepan and left brisket in uncovered foil tray to firm up the bark. (I like bark on my meat). Temp back down to 200 on smoker.
Boiled the drippings, then let cool and put in freezer for awhile to let fat float to top and firm up enough to scrape off with a spoon.
3:00 wrap brisket in foil and towels and set in cooler to rest.
4:30 unwrap and separated the point and rewrapped the flat and set back in cooler to continue resting till meal time. I cubbed the point for my burnt ends, put them back in the foil tray and brushed on some broth and returned to smoker along with my almost world famous Mac and Cheese.
6:00 sliced brisket flat and served with warmed up drippings/broth as an Au Jus along with burnt ends, Mac & Cheese and Corn Bread.
Everyone raved about it so I think I have finally conquered a brisket.
I'm computer brain dead so I cant post pics.
I'm always reading up on new recipes so I would be interested in your brisket recipe.

Cheers
SS
Sounds awesome, the actual cooking of the briskets recipes is usually quite the same for most recipes, I always take mine to 205 degrees and then wrap it in towels and put in a cooler for an half hour, they leak less when they are cut up and stay juicier. Sounds like you got it well figured out. Lol and please don't use the word traiger and gmg in the same sentence lol.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:29 PM
Banned

This recipe will be a three part deal, first the rub, I use this on everything for brisket, hatchcock chicken, pork butt and ribs.

Part one
RUB

1/4 cup smoked paprika
1/8 cup fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp of garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup of kosher salt
1/4 brown sugar
2 tbsp Rosemary
2 tbsp mint

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 03-07-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Banned

Part two

Bbq sauce for making the cap into Texas burnt tips

1-12oz can tomato paste
1-10.5 oz can of beef broth
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 Apple cider vinegar
1/4 prepared mustard
1 tbsp of hickory piqued smoke
1 tbsp Worcestershire
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 beef bullion cube
2 tbsp of garlic powder
3 tbsp of sugar
5 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp of ground red hot pepper
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp parsley
1tsp seasoning salt
1 bay leaf

Place all ingredients in a pot in the order they were listed, stir with a whisk to blend, bring to a simmer. Let it simmer slowly for 1 to 1 1/2 hour until desired thickness is reached, stir often to avoid scorching.
You can taste test at anytime but make no changes for at least 1 hour to ensure the flavours had blended. If you make changes be aware they won't fully be tasted until it's simmered for awhile. If you made it too thick, thin it with beef broth or water. Document changes so it can be repeated
Old 03-07-2016, 09:31 PM

Xbolt7mm

Thanks for posting. NO problem with 220 all night for my egg, BUT I will probably try a smaller cut in my Bradley and then if I ever become wealthy I will try a full brisket in my egg. Brisket used to be cheap but now I think they cost the about the same as rib eye.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Xbolt, sounds like your thoughts of a Trager are the same as mine... LOL
Covey, unless you have the XL or XXL Green Egg, good luck getting a whole brisket on your egg. I was in BBQ Galore yesterday killing time and was looking at the Eggs, Salesmen was going on and on about how great they were. I pulled out my phone and showed him pictures of what I cooked on Friday night and Sat and asked him how he would have fit the 2 tins of Mac & Cheese and the tin of burnt ends on the Green Egg. He said it will all fit on the XXL which I said it might but for $5500 and over 400lbs, I don't expect you will be selling too many. also, let me know how 3 rectangle trays fit on a round grill. Don't get me wrong, I think the BGE cook great but the shape is way too impractical for what I cook. And I'm sure you would have to trim off some of the brisket for it to fit on the XL BGE.
Now, what to cook this wkd??? Pulled Pork, Baby back ribs, stuffed burgers, beef short ribs... decisions, decisions...
Have fun guys, I love this thread.

Cheers,
SS
Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 AM

Xbolt, thanks for posting your rub recipe and your bbq sauce recipe. I will have to try them...
Old 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Banned

Part three

Brisket

1,,,,,14-16 lb brisket, cap on
1 jar of beef bullion paste
Prepared mustard
Basic rub recipe
Bbq recipe
Injector

Remove the brisket from the butchers wrap and place in fridge for 24 hours, trim off the hard fat being careful to leave at least 1/4 inch of fat. Mix up some bullion paste with water (about 5-6 cups) and three heaping tbsp of the rub and mix it all together and bring to a simmer and let cool. Take the brisket inject it with as much of the bullion as it will take, remember to not needle right through the cap into the middle fat layer. Pat dry and coat the entire brisket with straight bullion paste then dust lightly with the rub, put back in the fridge for around eight hours, remove from the fridge and set on counter for four hours, inject it again then coat it with mustard and as much rub as will stick to it. By now the smoker should be at 220 degrees. Be prepared for a long cook, about 1.5 hours per pound. Depending on the brisket, it should climb to 150 ish fairly quick and will stall right there,DO NOT EVER RAISE THE TEMP. Some briskets will stall there for up to 8 hours while the collagens are breaking down. We will get to moping in a bit. Once the temp starts move off the stall it should start to leak, catch these drippings is a pan and at 170 put the brisket in the pan and add a cup or two of the bullion rub mix, cook covered until 190 degrees the remove from pan and continue to 205. Remove and wrap tight in Saran Wrap then wrap with towels and place in a cooler for 1/2 hour. Remove the cap, chop it up into pieces, role in the bbq sauce and turn up the smoker to 300 but the bits it a pan and on it goes until the tips start to crust up and they are done
Now, mopping and injecting during the cook.
If you are using any electric or propane smoker that has a pan for chips or pucks then you should have a water bowl put bullion in the bowl and keep it full, every time you open it to fill the bowl the mop it with juice/ bullion/rub mixture and give it a couple of needles full as well. Only 3/4 hours of smoke with these machines or the smoke compounds on itself and goes bitter

If your using any other kind of smoker that uses wood to make to heat then make sure you mop every half hour after the first 3 hours, just don't wash off the rub, that's why you wait for a bit for it to crust up inject it every hour as well.

I'm sure everyone will change this a bit with their own spices but the cooking and resting is important to remain constant and remember which smoker you have and the mopping methods for each one, you Bradley people, my Bradley is on steroids, extra burner and a circulating fan so remember if your its hopped up like mine, be quick when the door is open, they recover slow, if your lookin you ain't cookin and in the Bradley, more than two briskets and you will blow you fusible link.
The other smokers recover way quicker so mop, mop and more mop, then mop some more so make sure you make enough to mop and inject.
Hope this helps
Old 03-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Banned

Default Smoked baked Beans

I'm on a roll so I will give up my best recipe. This stuff is what marriage proposals come from.

Smoked Baked Beans

1 lb of dry navy beans white
1 lb of lean ground beef, cooked and drained
1lb of harvest bacon diced and lightly browned ( never a sin to add more bacon)
1 medium onion diced
2 cups of beef broth
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
1- 15oz can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup of molasses
2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp of Tabasco or franks
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp of hickory liquid smoke
1/4 cup of yellow mustard
1/4 cup of ketchup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup of bbq recipe posted earlier or your favorite
1 cup of minced bell peppers
Big assed ole pot that can go on the smoker

Sort out any rocks and black beans from the package and soak for at least 12-14 hours, then simmer the beans at a low boil for at least 3 hours, drain the beans and add everything else including the bacon grease, stir up real good and put on the smoker in covered. ( maybe with the brisket) at 220 for around 6 hours, stir occasionally and put on a lid once you have reached the desired thickness. These can be done in the oven but still cook it the same way. Everyone who has tried a slow cooker with this recipe has failed, same with the oven if the temps are raised above 220 ish

This is on of my favorite smoker recipes, right up there with my meat loaf, coming soon
Old 03-08-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Covey, unless you have the XL or XXL Green Egg, good luck getting a whole brisket on your egg. I was in BBQ Galore yesterday killing time and was looking at the Eggs, Salesmen was going on and on about how great they were. I pulled out my phone and showed him pictures of what I cooked on Friday night and Sat and asked him how he would have fit the 2 tins of Mac & Cheese and the tin of burnt ends on the Green Egg. He said it will all fit on the XXL which I said it might but for $5500 and over 400lbs, I don't expect you will be selling too many. also, let me know how 3 rectangle trays fit on a round grill. Don't get me wrong, I think the BGE cook great but the shape is way too impractical for what I cook. And I'm sure you would have to trim off some of the brisket for it to fit on the XL BGE.
Now, what to cook this wkd??? Pulled Pork, Baby back ribs, stuffed burgers, beef short ribs... decisions, decisions...

Cheers,
SS
I think my egg is just a large, anyway it has an 18 inch circular grate. I have cooked brisket on it before as well as very large pork butt and I was able to do over 18 hours without fussing with the heat. I am a little bit paleo and I usually only do the meat on the grill. Unless I am doing steak, I very seldom put anything else on the grill until after the meat is off and resting. Anyway my egg cooks low and slow better than my Bradley, but I have a use for both.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:02 PM
Banned

Wink Google chefs

The BS is thicker than smoke on here today. The best is whatever you have, and the worst is what the other guy has. LOL
Running down other smokers is the first sign of inexperience . Your BS is entertaining if nothing else.

Last edited by gtr; 03-08-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
The BS is thicker than smoke on here today. The best is whatever you have, and the worst is what the other guy has. LOL
Running down other smokers is the first sign of inexperience . Your BS is entertaining if nothing else.
You're right! All one has to do is do a Google search and they will see that smoking can be done with anything from shoe boxes to **** houses
Old 03-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:

Cheers,
SS
The only reason I don't like the traiger is it only hits 450, for smoking it's as good as any but without grill plates it grills poorly, and it takes a big smoker to get a whole brisket on, they are over two feet long. Tons of people love their eggs too plus they have no trouble grilling a steak
Old 03-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Xbolt7mm

Thanks for posting. NO problem with 220 all night for my egg, BUT I will probably try a smaller cut in my Bradley and then if I ever become wealthy I will try a full brisket in my egg. Brisket used to be cheap but now I think they cost the about the same as rib eye.
1st time I ordered a whole brisket did I ever get a shock, I always thought it ment just a piece with the cap on it. It was enough to fill four racks on the Bradley and was 26 lbs
Old 03-08-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
1st time I ordered a whole brisket did I ever get a shock, I always thought it ment just a piece with the cap on it. It was enough to fill four racks on the Bradley and was 26 lbs
Well the biggest shock of one that size is the price! Another reason to go for a smaller cut or a big chunk with the fat cap. Brisket used to be an economical cut but not so anymore. In recent times when I splurge I go for really thick rib eyes or strip loins done T Rex style.

But I do hope to try your recipe. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:32 AM
Banned

Wink Old cow

Quote:
I think you should change butchers. That big of a brisket was off an animal that was ground up for burger, not prime meat for smoking.
Sounds like you have about the same amount of experience with briskets as you do with Traeger's or any other smoker.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:45 AM
Banned

Default Good Butcher is key.

Quote:
Well the biggest shock of one that size is the price! Another reason to go for a smaller cut or a big chunk with the fat cap. Brisket used to be an economical cut but not so anymore. In recent times when I splurge I go for really thick rib eyes or strip loins done T Rex style.

But I do hope to try your recipe. Thanks!
Your right about the size of the brisket as well its important to have your butcher trim it to your liking. Its between 5 and 6 dollars a pound for something they used to grind into burger. We all know they used to throw chicken wings out with the guts. Supply and demand I guess. Good luck
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Xbolt7mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I think you should change butchers. That big of a brisket was off an animal that was ground up for burger, not prime meat for smoking.
Sounds like you have about the same amount of experience with briskets as you do with Traeger's or any other smoker.
First off it wasn't me complaining about any smokers and you have no idea about anyones experience. Second if the point is still attached to the flat that would make it a full brisket and not a packers brisket. Thx for insulting me and my butcher as well as showing everyone what you are and your experience with brisket oh and thx for all the recipes you gave , none. We now see what you contribute to a thread, sarcazim and rudeness, kinda makes a guy really want to take ten minutes to type a recipe on here,,,

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 03-09-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:21 AM

Gosh, I hope that no one thinks I am complaining about others choice of smokers. I have two eggs and one Bradley and an amaze-n smoker that I can use in my rusty old Cambodian Tire propane bbq. None of these tools have feeling and really care about what others think and I like em cause they all work for me and for my taste, produce some of the nicest meat I have ever eaten.

I appreciate anyone who is willing to post a favorite recipe.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Banned

Wink Live and learn

Usually when you hear bad things about different kinds of smokers, its from people that have little hands on experience. Operator error is never the cause. LOL Lots of recipes to be found, more about starting out with good meat, and paying attention to detail. Usually more is learned with actual experience, but we have to start somewhere. Most people have made their own rubs, or have found the ones they like one way or another.