Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2021, 08:38 PM

Default Dry Sauna vs steam room.

Didn’t want to detail the other thread so thought I’d ask here.
The gym here has both.
What are the health benifits of each one?
This is the first week using them.
From what I can tell in difference is that the steam room is a more intense heat, and it clears out my nasal and lungs.
Sauna makes me sweat.
Not sure if the steam room is making me sweat though. I’m soaked in the sweat room too but that could be just from the steam.
Anyone know the health benefits of each?
Google wasn’t much help.
Ps. I enjoy the steam room more.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:44 PM

I have been using sauna, steam rooms and the combination of both all my life. But I am not an expert, lol! Here is what I can tell you I a nutshell.
The main difference is the temperature. Dry sauna tends to use the temp between 80 to 100C. You choose the right temp that you can comfortably tolerate so you can spend 15-20 min in a sauna room.
The steam room temp usually is lower, between 60-80C depending on the amount of steam it produces. It is usually easier to tolerate the steam room temp for the people that don’t use it often. Your skin will feel nice and hot in a steam room because of the steam and not a temp.
My personal favourite is the Russian style sauna where you splash the water on a rocks creating the amount of steam you desire. But that is usually is not available in your typical gym. Their heating stoves are electric and aren’t designed to get water on it. There are special heaters thou for that purpose.
If you ever happen to be in Edmonton, I can take you to the real (as real as it gets here) Russian sauna and show you the “proper” way of enjoying it.
And no, no drinking vodka there either, lol!
Old 11-22-2021, 01:15 PM

Don't think it will be a health benefit but I have a dry sauna. If you have a cold or flu use it, either one. It does make a difference for a bit. While your in either one it will help you breathe. Helps sweat out the no goods in your body. I usually pour some water over the hot rocks in my dry sauna and it gives some great steam and instant high heat. Usually set at 100
Old 11-22-2021, 08:33 PM

A nice evening sauna. Drink a couple cups of water and hit the bunks. Sleep all the way till morning.

Hot and cold tubs along with sauna and steam rooms are good for blood flow and a host of other things. Good for muscles and aches and pains etc.

Rejuvenation. Rest and relaxation. Lowers stress levels. Etc
Old 11-23-2021, 08:56 AM

At our remote cabin, we have built a sauna that sits near the shore of a crystal clear lake.
We had milled the lumber for the build including the cedar in the sauna room.
The stone hearth where the sauna stove sits is made from selected local river run rock and amethyst.
The sauna is wood-fired, fed from outside to keep the debris outdoors.
Our sauna was built to have a means of washing up after a day on the trapline, hunting, or chasing walleye on the ice.
A true 4 seasons bathhouse.
You will not get any cleaner than the deep clean achieved from the cleansing of pores from steam from the rocks.
After a hot sauna, you can sit on the covered porch overlooking the lake or dive off the dock to cool down if desired during the summer months.
During hard water season sometimes the boys cut a hole in the ice for those vigorous enough to take the polar bear plunge.

Built off the rear is a solar-powered on-demand propane water heater outdoor shower. Much easier to hose off the kids after a day of fun on the lake or the trails. Through design, we are able to use the shower year-round as well.
As you are coming off the lake either on the boat or on the sleds can smell the cedar and birch burning in the stove.
Belly full of walleye, hot sauna with or without steam from the rocks, couple cold ones and sleep like a baby.
Can't beat 'em for winding down at the end of the day.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I have been using sauna, steam rooms and the combination of both all my life. But I am not an expert, lol! Here is what I can tell you I a nutshell.
The main difference is the temperature. Dry sauna tends to use the temp between 80 to 100C. You choose the right temp that you can comfortably tolerate so you can spend 15-20 min in a sauna room.
The steam room temp usually is lower, between 60-80C depending on the amount of steam it produces. It is usually easier to tolerate the steam room temp for the people that don’t use it often. Your skin will feel nice and hot in a steam room because of the steam and not a temp.
My personal favourite is the Russian style sauna where you splash the water on a rocks creating the amount of steam you desire. But that is usually is not available in your typical gym. Their heating stoves are electric and aren’t designed to get water on it. There are special heaters thou for that purpose.
If you ever happen to be in Edmonton, I can take you to the real (as real as it gets here) Russian sauna and show you the “proper” way of enjoying it.
And no, no drinking vodka there either, lol!
Russian banya vs Finnish sauna. The Finns win.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:16 PM

Just one thing to maybe remember when done with your sauna, if you want to continue doing things after, cool down with some cold water or you might or will become a vegetable. That heat will bring you down to very lethargic. Enjoy which ever you choose but watch your alcohol content.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Russian banya vs Finnish sauna. The Finns win.
Not for me pal, not for me! Russian banya is way better and some people can even say that it is healthier….

I invite anybody who wants to try real Russian style banya and who is happen to be in Edmonton to join me - I will be happy to show you the ropes…. Edmonton has a very nice place on a north west, it’s $100 per hour with a minimum of 2 hours. So bring a friend or 2.

Last edited by KGB; 11-25-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Not for me pal, not for me! Russian banya is way better and some people can even say that it is healthier….

I invite anybody who wants to try real Russian style banya and who is happen to be in Edmonton to join me - I will be happy to show you the ropes…. Edmonton has a very nice place on a north west, it’s $100 per hour with a minimum of 2 hours. So bring a friend or 2.
Hola! 100 bones an hour to have a sauna. As long as a guys happy at the ending?
Old 11-25-2021, 06:53 PM

Gonna have to have a look around here in bc for one.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:39 PM

I could gather a few friends that would be into it for $100 an hour but there'd have to be booze. And maybe some servers. And I don't mean Russian dudes.

I haven't been in an actual sauna since I was a kid. How much maintenance does a home setup need?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Hola! 100 bones an hour to have a sauna. As long as a guys happy at the ending?
Dirty moose! Bad moose! Shame on you!
We usually go there with another couple, 4 people in total. And we all leave happy. Your body releases a lot of endorphins during the steam process. Trust me, you will enjoy it. I introduced my Canadian friends to it and they all loved it.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:22 AM

Steam all day!