Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2021, 11:22 AM

Wish I had gone there when I was in town. Sounds like my kind of seafood place. Sad to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
It’s extremely difficult to eat healthy other than at home.
That's what we find as well.

We really don't go out that much, usually do take-out when we want a grease fix and/or want a night off from cooking.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:32 AM

Our family fave! So sad!!

-Confucius
Old 11-22-2021, 11:43 AM

Default My $0.02 worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I can’t disagree about food quality. But you know what? Food places make what sells. High fat and salt, heaps of sugar, that’s what the “majority” of people want/crave.

We play the game when we’re going out….where can we eat that’s healthy? We usually come up empty. Indian food is good and “can” have some vegetables included but it’s always heavy on the deep fryer and high fat low protein. Sushi is ok but doesn’t to me with vegetables to speak of…and it’s just flavoured rice anyway. It’s extremely difficult to eat healthy other than at home.
We don't go out to eat healthy, we do that at home. We go out to enjoy a unique meal, something we wouldn't necessarily want to make at home. Flavour and quality are the main criteria, followed by perceived value. The health value of the meal comes in at fourth place. Although, other than fish & chips(we like fish & chips), we try to avoid most deep fried options.

Up until 5 years ago, we regularly went out 3-4 times a month to independent restaurants, usually meeting others for dinner. We also ordered takeout for P/U once or twice a week. We started noticing that the flavour and quality declined in direct proportion to the rising prices. Initially we chalked it up to randomness, but it continued to decline. Eventually, we felt it was the culinary equivalent of paying $50/plate for a can of Chef Boyardee or a Big Mac.
Not happening.

I don't know whether the issue lies with the quality of the food supplies from the wholesale suppliers, the training of the Prep and the Line Staff, or decisions made by the owner/manager? But I do know that I am done buying what they are selling.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell