Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2021, 09:43 AM

Default Mule or Donkey

Daughter is getting a horse in the spring and I am thinking of getting it a companion for the field. Don't have use for a second horse but I had heard donkeys and mules might work. I could also train it for packing.

Hoping someone might have experience on what could work as a companion and serve as a pack animal - elk size game.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:58 AM

I looked at donkeys as "lawnmowers" for my place and learnt that they get fat quickly, mini donkeys more so. I would recommend a llama or an alpaca. Good for our climate, it will fight coyotes and kids like them because they are cute and furry. The downside is that the damn things are stubborn and they spit, being cameloids...
Old 11-21-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfisher View Post
I looked at donkeys as "lawnmowers" for my place and learnt that they get fat quickly, mini donkeys more so. I would recommend a llama or an alpaca. Good for our climate, it will fight coyotes and kids like them because they are cute and furry. The downside is that the damn things are stubborn and they spit, being cameloids...
There are some very good reasons, people can't even give llamas away. You won't be packing much on one and meeting other horses could turn into a wreck. Horses are herd animals and happiest when they have a buddy. Get an old plug, broke to death, won't break the bank either.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-21-2021, 01:46 PM

Yup, my buddy wanted me to go shoot his 6 llamas… apparently they were playing hell on his horses. I respectfully declined.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:02 PM

My buddy Clay Newcomb wants me to get a mule.

Is anything wrong with mules?
Old 11-21-2021, 02:24 PM

Whichever you get don't ride it through Yahoo Tinda in the fall.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
My buddy Clay Newcomb wants me to get a mule.

Is anything wrong with mules?
Nothing wrong with mules. They haul tourists and gear in and out of the Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch daily. Long way up and down.They don't use horses or donkeys........
Old 11-21-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bourne View Post
Nothing wrong with mules. They haul tourists and gear in and out of the Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch daily. Long way up and down.They don't use horses or donkeys........
It takes a special personality to live with mules. They have minds of their own.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-21-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
It takes a special personality to live with mules. They have minds of their own.

Grizz
Worse than donkeys? Man why does everything have to be hard. My son follows Newcomb and wants a mule and call it El Chappo
Old 11-21-2021, 03:31 PM

Get a mule. There was good reason for the US Calvary to use mules rather than horses.
And a mule will protect you when the horses have all scattered. I remember reading this story when it first came out about 15+ years ago.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mu...mountain-lion/

Nora Loreto 6:49 PM 8 Apr. 2018
Old 11-21-2021, 03:41 PM

A mule is very smart, if you don’t know how to be mule smart don’t get one. A donkey is great, if you get a great donkey, if not well don’t get a donkey. Also a horse may like the donkey, but a donkey don’t give 2 rips about a horse.

Best thing is an old horse, your daughter’s horse will love the old guy. And the old boy will probably love you daughter.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
A mule is very smart, if you don’t know how to be mule smart don’t get one. A donkey is great, if you get a great donkey, if not well don’t get a donkey. Also a horse may like the donkey, but a donkey don’t give 2 rips about a horse.

Best thing is an old horse, your daughter’s horse will love the old guy. And the old boy will probably love you daughter.
This
Old 11-21-2021, 03:47 PM
Banned

Mules are mule smart if you don’t nt spend time with them. Spend lots of time and they get human smart, just like a puppy dog.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:58 PM

Okay, I'm leaning toward old horse. Presumably an old one costs less.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
Mules are mule smart if you don’t nt spend time with them. Spend lots of time and they get human smart, just like a puppy dog.
Ok, but you got a lot more faith in “human smart” than I do when it comes to mules or horses.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:29 PM

Be sure to check out Horse Heroes Alberta. You might be able to adopt a rescued horse or buy a retired companion horse for cheap. I see they have one young companion horse for 650 bucks presently.

https://horseheroesalberta.com/adoptable-horses
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-21-2021, 11:52 PM

Think vet bills. Old horse, lots of vet bills, Mule, very few vet bills usually. If you spend a lot of time with them, Mules are a great animal and will bond with you and the horse. If you spend no time bonding with the Mule they will still bond with the horse but don't expect much in terms of respect for you. Cheapest option is to board a horse for someone else. Yours gets company, you make some bucks, and all the bills are the other guy's.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Ok, but you got a lot more faith in “human smart” than I do when it comes to mules or horses.
Lol. I guess so. Don’t mean that they are as smart as humans, but they will learn to be faithful and loyal, like a dog. But, not if their full time companion is a fellow pasture pet.

Last edited by huntwat; 11-22-2021 at 12:04 AM.