Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
Ive heard this several times and always wanted to give it a try in the walltent overnight. Are you just simply throwing a shovel full in with the coals from a wood fire or half wood half coal?

Thanks
If I were going to burn coal in a stove, I would find a good sized block of firewood split it in half, put it in the stove round side down, top the flat with coal. As the wood burns, the coal lights. You don't get a hotspot on the bottom of the stove.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:21 AM

I would get the same kind of wood they put in my gas fireplace, it never seems to burn out!
Old 10-14-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
I would get the same kind of wood they put in my gas fireplace, it never seems to burn out!
LOL !
Same magical stuff in my elec. fireplace, amazing stuff, bonus is that it's instantly is burning at the flick of the switch.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Bought a cord and a half of birch, it was placed bundeled on my driveway in the afternoon. Someone took it all overnight. Back to scrounging pallets.
That really bites big time. Especially with the price being upwards around here of $1000 or so for a cord. Look on line and a so called big bag is $60. I do all outside burning and if I can I will use apple wood from cut down apple trees. Hard to come by but seems to heat and last.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
If I were going to burn coal in a stove, I would find a good sized block of firewood split it in half, put it in the stove round side down, top the flat with coal. As the wood burns, the coal lights. You don't get a hotspot on the bottom of the stove.
Not a lot of experience burning coal but I did inherit a 50's Sears woodburner with a lot of chrome doodads. There was a hole melted in the back of the cast iron and patched with a 1/4" plate as a result of him burning coal in it. Pretty sure you need refractory if you're burning coal but no expert on that.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Bought a cord and a half of birch, it was placed bundeled on my driveway in the afternoon. Someone took it all overnight. Back to scrounging pallets.
That is brutal! Hope it wasn’t split so they had to work for some of it at least! I bet someone has an add up with wood for sale near you same type and volume.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
That is brutal! Hope it wasn’t split so they had to work for some of it at least! I bet someone has an add up with wood for sale near you same type and volume.
Wasn't split, I actually don't mind splitting, kind of a regular fall task. A shame as it was a good deal.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 10-19-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Has anyone tried tossing in a chunk of coal for the overnight burn? What would be the disadvantages?
Main disadvantage is that it wouldn't burn right, at worst maybe smolder for awhile and be choked by ashes. Coal needs a constant, slow controlled air flow from below, which is why coal heaters are designed a lot differently than wood burners.

Once a bed of coal starts burning from the hot coals of a wood fire, any volatiles in the coal get chased off and then there's very little odor and no smoke anymore. But your coal needs to be dry. Then a clean, constant, hot long-time carbon burn can be precisely controlled by air flow though the grates and whatever other porting is designed into the stove. Burning a mix of wood and coal in a coal stove after coal startup is doable, but generally pointless.

I've been quoted nearly a thousand dollars for just a single cord of seasoned, locally delivered tamarack or birch if you can get it. That price would get me 8 or 9 tons of sized, clean thermal coal picked up from the mine - maybe 15 loads in a modern half-ton pickup. That's a lot of years of comfortable heating.

I'd be really interested in finding some hard anthracite (metal refining) coal for sale. Like wood, the harder the coal, generally the better for heating. It used to be mined in the crowsnest pass and still is in BC's elk valley region by Teck and is exported by rail in the millions of tons. But they don't sell small loads as far as I know.