Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 09:16 AM

Default Best gas station rewards

Fas Gas has gotten rid of their liter log, sadly. Now where should I fill my work truck? Who has the best program? The truck is almost empty, I need to figure this out.

It truly is a sad day that I will never again purchase a scope, with my liter log money, and mount it to a rifle purchased with Canadian Tire money. Horrible, horrible day.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:45 AM

Low gas prices!
Old 10-18-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Fas Gas has gotten rid of their liter log, sadly. Now where should I fill my work truck? Who has the best program? The truck is almost empty, I need to figure this out.

It truly is a sad day that I will never again purchase a scope, with my liter log money, and mount it to a rifle purchased with Canadian Tire money. Horrible, horrible day.
I split between filling at Calgary Co-op or Costco. There is only one Costco in Calgary that has diesel though, and it’s clear across town so when I go there, I bring jerry cans as their price is generally over a dime/L better. Then I still accumulate member rewards and my credit card rewards. I use a Crappy Tire MasterCard for it, for the same reason you mentioned, there’s only so many rewards programs that can go straight to firearms or tools. Then again most other credit card rewards can be redeemed for gift cards, I usually go for Cabela’s ones when redeeming. Use the GasBuddy app to see where the best prices are near you, and try to enter the prices when you fill up (admittedly, I only remember to do this about 1/3 of the time)
Old 10-18-2021, 09:59 AM

I use Co-OP cause of their payback. I use my mastercard that also gives points/money so its a double hit.
I don't think CO-OP actually pays out the right amount at the end of the year as I use roughly 200G a week of diesel and I know they have never paid me out for the amount I use..

if you have air miles - use Shell
Old 10-18-2021, 10:17 AM

For you guys that buy a lot of fuel, look at getting a cardlock/fleet card. Esso used to have the best deal and a rebate program based on usage. I don't burn much fuel anymore but I still carry a UFA one so I can get gas at midnight in small towns, but it also has the advantage of being cheaper by enough to make a big difference. When we were in Oyen end of Sept, local station was $1.45, UFA was 1.25.

When I lived in Calgary I used Co-op. The member price and rewards were the best deal I could find. When I lived there Co-op was as cheap as Costco because in the long run, no matter how good the reward program even the best one won't make up for a 10 cent a litre price difference unless the one paying the bill isn't your own company. Right now in Edm Costco is 129.9, next lowest is Co-op at 1.329, most others are 1.419 most other places are no lower
Old 10-18-2021, 10:20 AM

Canadian tire, I also use their Mastercard for gas so 5c a liter back in ct money. Otherwise I believe its 3c a litre back in ct money. It adds up fast.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:21 AM

I find that gas & diesel is cheaper at regular Niton service stations than my UFA card in Edson , Whitecourt or Spruce Grove??
Old 10-18-2021, 10:24 AM

Costco, their gas down here is also ethanal free so a little better mileage.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-18-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Canadian tire, I also use their Mastercard for gas so 5c a liter back in ct money. Otherwise I believe its 3c a litre back in ct money. It adds up fast.
Is it different where you are? Here Costco is 129.9, CT is 141.9. The CT money doesn't come close to covering just the cash difference.

Piker

The #1 fuel at Costco is ethanol free here too, don't know about regular. Will have to look at the pump next time I gas up.

BGW

Gas at Costco is cheaper than the local UFA, by quite a bit, so for the big city makes sense to use Costco. Your Niton place must have some real good prices cause in small towns I did not find what you are seeing. I know in Northern Alberta UFA is usually at lest 10 cents a litre cheaper than most of the small town stations, unless you are in GP.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:39 AM

get yourself a CT mastercard and fill up at canadian tire gas stations. 5cents a litre back plus lots of other offers when shopping at CT. not hard to collect $50 bucks a week shopping for daily necessitates
Old 10-18-2021, 11:19 AM

Back when someone else was buying the gas, I'd use petrocan's petro points.
I would get mittful of lottery scratchers twice a year, and enough air fresheners to keep all my vehicles smelling like chemicals all year long.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:33 AM

I use my PC mastercard at Mobile for 7 cents a liter, get 5 at Esso
Old 10-18-2021, 11:34 AM

I get about $.13c/L off at UFA with my card. Plus, 4% back on Visa.

I am not a bulk buyer, just have had the card a long time.

There are UFA's everywhere, pretty hard to beat that deal.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-18-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I can't wait till Costco opens in Lloyd I heard it's being built after the truck bypass is finished
Old 10-18-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Is it different where you are? Here Costco is 129.9, CT is 141.9. The CT money doesn't come close to covering just the cash difference.

Piker

The #1 fuel at Costco is ethanol free here too, don't know about regular. Will have to look at the pump next time I gas up.

BGW

Gas at Costco is cheaper than the local UFA, by quite a bit, so for the big city makes sense to use Costco. Your Niton place must have some real good prices cause in small towns I did not find what you are seeing. I know in Northern Alberta UFA is usually at lest 10 cents a litre cheaper than most of the small town stations, unless you are in GP.
Our Costco regular is no ethanol. Might change as I heard somewhere ethanol will be legislated in.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-18-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Piker

BGW

Ya closest Costco is an hour away.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

Can anyone get a UFA card? I almost got stuck needing a fill up and only a UFA in town. Luckily a couple nice older chaps put $20 in my tank and I gave them cash.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-18-2021, 12:51 PM

Get a Husky card and then pay for your gas with your CT Mastercard. You double dip. Husky gives you their points. Your CT card accumulates at the regular rate. Win win
Old 10-18-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Can anyone get a UFA card? I almost got stuck needing a fill up and only a UFA in town. Luckily a couple nice older chaps put $20 in my tank and I gave them cash.
YES

membership is $5

You get dividends, when you retire/move whatever, like co-op

I have 4 cards on the go, family all uses them.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-18-2021, 01:05 PM

My work truck averages about 250 liters per fill. At Fas Gas that was $7.50 in my pocket.

I need to use a fleet card so I can't double dip my CT credit card.

Petro Can will give me $2.50 for the same fill.

Husky isn't exactly clear but I'd say $1.35 for the same fill as Fas Gas.

I hate airmiles but may have to settle for that. Its 95 airmiles for $10. At 12 miles per 250 liter fill, thats $1.25 per fill. Screw it, airmiles is out.

Esso is changing to PC points. 10 points per liter but I must be a member to see what the points can turn into.

Man I miss Fas Gas so much already.

Last edited by HyperMOA; 10-18-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:45 PM

Why has nobody mentioned PC points, most super stores has a fill up station, I like my PC points for any groceries I want.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:02 PM

Gasbuddy app Has saved me a lot of cash.Especially travelling btwn provinces.Coop sucks,they send your earned rewards in to CRA.Then you get dbl,triple taxed,on the fuel
Old 10-18-2021, 03:50 PM

Co-op, you get a cheque once a year plus the profits stay in western canada if that part is important to you
Old 10-18-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Why has nobody mentioned PC points, most super stores has a fill up station, I like my PC points for any groceries I want.
7 cents liter with the PC mastercard at SS any Esso 5 cents pays the December grocery bill when I worked in the patch I would have over a $1000 some years
Old 10-18-2021, 04:40 PM

Default PC points

Do you scan your card at the pump?

How does this work?

Superstore and Esso?

The new Fas Gas thing is not going to do me any good.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:50 PM

I fuel up at superstore ( mobile ) don't have the PC Mastercard so I only get 3.5 cents and also get it at Esso it's nice to get free groceries with your points, they do add up.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Do you scan your card at the pump?

How does this work?

Superstore and Esso?

The new Fas Gas thing is not going to do me any good.
With PC mastercard you just tap up to $100 at Esso or mobile you also get points at Marks, Shoppers and Sportchek
Old 10-18-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
For you guys that buy a lot of fuel, look at getting a cardlock/fleet card. Esso used to have the best deal and a rebate program based on usage. I don't burn much fuel anymore but I still carry a UFA one so I can get gas at midnight in small towns, but it also has the advantage of being cheaper by enough to make a big difference. When we were in Oyen end of Sept, local station was $1.45, UFA was 1.25.

When I lived in Calgary I used Co-op. The member price and rewards were the best deal I could find. When I lived there Co-op was as cheap as Costco because in the long run, no matter how good the reward program even the best one won't make up for a 10 cent a litre price difference unless the one paying the bill isn't your own company. Right now in Edm Costco is 129.9, next lowest is Co-op at 1.329, most others are 1.419 most other places are no lower
We've been telling our drivers to stop using their PetroPass cards and fill up at Co-Op as there is a $0.30/L difference.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
We've been telling our drivers to stop using their PetroPass cards and fill up at Co-Op as there is a $0.30/L difference.
Jesus. At 30 cents a liter difference I would fire anyone that filled at Petro canada to get a few bucks of reward dollars for themselves. Even when the company paid my gas I looked for the best deal I could find and if there was a benefit like aeroplan miles or cash I could collect then that was a bonus. I would have NEVER screwed the company I worked for to put money in my pocket. Would have switched companies long before that!