Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2021, 06:31 AM

Default Dog Prices WTH

I have noticed that people are wanting a kings ransomed for mutts. These used to be given away. I see lots of impossible prices out there, do people not realize they can get a papered dog for the same money? Just one example.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-dogs-puppies...eft/1588477741

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-15-2021, 06:33 AM

A saying comes to mind, " there is a sucker born every minute"
Old 10-15-2021, 07:02 AM

My dog was free. Surprise litter.
You just don't see that very much any more.
But I don't think people want free dogs.
It seems to me that people only want a dog that they can tell people how much it cost.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:11 AM

I was looking for a dog last winter, prices, especially on kijiji were very high. People seem to be paying these high prices though. I remember seeing border collie /poodle cross puppies advertised for $3000.00. I would have called that a whoops and probably gave them away free or for the cost of the food. Any type of cattle dog pups I saw for under $400 were usually spoken for in a few hours
Old 10-15-2021, 07:32 AM

I just went through this nonsense 5 weeks ago when my dog suddenly died. I was floored at the prices i was seeing. For example, $2500 for GSP's with no testing or even papers for the sire and dam.
Did what i did last time and just bought out of the states, 2 more weeks and ill have another pointer at the border.
Shop smart and shop kennels, not kijiji.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:04 AM
Banned

Yeah, prices went thru the roof but I wonder if Covid didnt help, with people needing companionship...Dogs are a close second to whatever might be first.
A lot of ARC's are MT with no dogs available..Not sure about cats
Old 10-15-2021, 08:09 AM

Amazing to me, our shelters are over flowing and yet we're importing mutts from abroad to "save" them. Even one of those will set you back several hundred bucks. Price you pay does seem to be a bragging point for some people.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 10-15-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:21 AM

Wow, I have two "without papers" Golden Retrievers that I paid $750, each. They are as pure as it matters to me (parents/grand parents were papered), I'd hate to pay for a mutt. But this is all cause of covid, probably. Everyone bought little pets so they could have a buddy while they work from home or the kids can have a buddy while they home school. ****es me off too cause the vets are a lot busier now because (I assume) there's more of an influx of people taking their dogs to the vet.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
My dog was free. Surprise litter.
You just don't see that very much any more.
But I don't think people want free dogs.
It seems to me that people only want a dog that they can tell people how much it cost.
It seems people want either a “rescue” puppy (somehow these puppies are “rescued” in time to be all sold by 8 weeks?) or some designer dog. They feel good about themselves for buying a puppy that was “rescued” or they want some tiny fuzzy thing, it seems there’s also a million “doodle” dogs out there these days.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:40 AM

Default Designer vs Pure bred

Seems to be the mixed breeds are getting premium. We have 2 Portuguese Water Dogs that we paid a good price for that we bought from a reputable breeder with testing shots and all the good measures. We get asked constantly about them being Doodles, we say no we didn't pay overpriced for designer mutts, LOL. That being said the doodles have been saturated and unfortunately the backyard breeders are out in full force. Doesn't matter what dog you get, when using a good breeder there are cost associated with a good breeding program. I will pay a price to know the mother and father full history, expats being done, shots, check ups, ultrasounds and premium care for adults and pups. We still paid less for our pups than any local breeder for a doodle, was shocked.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:13 AM

Yah it’s crazy for sure. Our dog is a Golden Doodle and we did get him for “free” if there is such a thing. Coworker/friend got injured in a car crash at work and they held a raffle to raise money for his family. Wife bought 3 tickets for entry on the dog and we won a puppy. The rest of the litter was selling for $2300 males and $2500 females. To be honest I would have never bought a Golden Doodle but Winston is an amazing dog and opened our eyes to a breed we would never have considered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57DABB16-5F7F-4FFB-AF4F-C391C4192491.jpg (26.2 KB, 126 views)
Old 10-15-2021, 09:19 AM

Was looking for a saint but the prices are to much so we decided to hold off.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
Seems to be the mixed breeds are getting premium. We have 2 Portuguese Water Dogs that we paid a good price for that we bought from a reputable breeder with testing shots and all the good measures. We get asked constantly about them being Doodles, we say no we didn't pay overpriced for designer mutts, LOL. That being said the doodles have been saturated and unfortunately the backyard breeders are out in full force. Doesn't matter what dog you get, when using a good breeder there are cost associated with a good breeding program. I will pay a price to know the mother and father full history, expats being done, shots, check ups, ultrasounds and premium care for adults and pups. We still paid less for our pups than any local breeder for a doodle, was shocked.
I know of people buying Bernese mountain dog doodles for 5 grand, I know they don’t shed and all but that was ridiculous. The breeder had 4 dames and sold 4 litters last year, I couldn’t believe that people would spend that much on a dog that is purely a pet without any traits being bred for other than good natured dogs who were good around kids. They aren’t hunting dogs, guard dogs, tracking dogs, herding dogs, just dogs without a particular skill or genetic leanings to a skill. It sure was a good year to be a breeder though, I suspect the prices will drop soon enough as those wanting a companion already got one.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:25 AM

I would like to get back into another GSP pup, been too long since my last one left. I feel they are a fair price for a family pet/bird dog.

Then for giggles I look at what the wife's long hair chihuahua(rat dog as I call it) sell for as a pup. Pretty much double what I hear shorthair pups sells for.

Crazy what they are asking for lap dog breeds.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I know of people buying Bernese mountain dog doodles for 5 grand, I know they don’t shed and all but that was ridiculous. The breeder had 4 dames and sold 4 litters last year, I couldn’t believe that people would spend that much on a dog that is purely a pet without any traits being bred for other than good natured dogs who were good around kids. They aren’t hunting dogs, guard dogs, tracking dogs, herding dogs, just dogs without a particular skill or genetic leanings to a skill. It sure was a good year to be a breeder though, I suspect the prices will drop soon enough as those wanting a companion already got one.
I'm willing to bet that at least 3/4 of the "hunting breed" dogs out there aren't being hunted with.
I'm guessing the vast majority of dog buyers don't care about hunting or herding instincts, they just want a dog for the sake of having a dog. So being good with kids, and not shedding are probably the number one things they're concerned with.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:37 AM

there's more of an influx of people taking their dogs to the vet.

And vets are the big winners in this.

Grizz
Old 10-15-2021, 11:42 AM

I have been waiting until I move out of town into the country to get a dog (will be for hunting mostly, in a couple of years), and I cannot believe prices of just dogs in general as well. My wife wants a dog to play with kids, so when I get a dog, she will get a dog too. My cousin just paid $800 for a mutt. She's a nice dog, but I wouldn't have paid anything.

As with all things in life, I will try to find best value (and price) and be happy to brag about that. I have never been one to brag for spending the most on something, I don't understand that. I will sure brag up and down the street when I buy something for much less than my neighbor did. I'd rather tell people about my ability to find a deal, vs telling about how much I am willing to overspend.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
there's more of an influx of people taking their dogs to the vet.

And vets are the big winners in this.

Grizz
Most vets in my area are not taking new clients and based on the number of animals selling this is only going to get worse. If vets are slammed you can expect prices to go through the roof. I'm considering what I'll do when the current crop of furry friends move on. Can't think of life without pets but man is it going to get exceedingly expensive (if you can even get treatment) and you will be pretty much handcuffed to pay extorsion prices to keep your new friend healthy.

I would add the entry of pet insurance hasn't helped either like it doesn't help for dental prices. When institutions know bills are backed by big money prices don't tend to go down LOL. Premiums soon follow in a vicious upward cycle. Hey worry not about excessive vet prices your pet can be covered for only $400/mo to infinity...oh phew dodged a bullet!
Old 10-15-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Most vets in my area are not taking new clients and based on the number of animals selling this is only going to get worse. If vets are slammed you can expect prices to go through the roof. I'm considering what I'll do when the current crop of furry friends move on. Can't think of life without pets but man is it going to get exceedingly expensive (if you can even get treatment) and you will be pretty much handcuffed to pay extorsion prices to keep your new friend healthy.

I would add the entry of pet insurance hasn't helped either like it doesn't help for dental prices. When institutions know bills are backed by big money prices don't tend to go down LOL. Premiums soon follow in a vicious upward cycle. Hey worry not about excessive vet prices your pet can be covered for only $400/mo to infinity...oh phew dodged a bullet!
You are correct in that insurance has not helped vet prices do anything but go up.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2021, 02:04 PM

We just picked up a puppy… he wasn’t cheap, but he is an ultra rare breed and will be used as a stud when he is older.

LC
Old 10-15-2021, 03:35 PM

What a disservice we do to mutts. Most mutts make good family pets, great farm yard dogs, and very loyal companions to their owners. Now people are making them a special breed, or x-breed I guess. News flash, they have been special for years just been mutts you gave away to an average family Joe.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:04 PM

For sure the prices went through the roof. All the people who worked and schooled from home figured it was time to get a pet. Kept the kids busy playing and walking while the adult had some down time. Did not pay any money for vacations, travelling and what ever, cause had to stay at home. They had extra income, all kinds of time. Sure hope they realized it was supposed to be a life commitment and not a filler of time. I have a feeling and not a good one that when most get back to their so called normal, go to work, kids go to school and in sports, they might (and I sure hope not) not have the time or the use for their beloved companions. Us who have had or still have our life companions know what it takes to gain their love and companionship. Is there gonna be some not so young pups and untrained ones trying to find other homes in the near future? Oh ya my BRUTUS was a mixed mutt breed. Great buddy and fishing partner.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:18 PM

It all depends on what people are looking for. One thing I didn't see anyone post (might have missed it, getting old here lol), but with the increase in theft, many people are looking for a deterrant. We have a decent security system, but moving out to the country, we're upgrading. We have the wife's chi-hooah-hooah (the arlarm part of the system) and then a larger Border Heeler that doesn't even trust the son-in-laws. Found another Border Heeler that we will be bringing home in two weeks.

Designer dog? Yeah....but so is every breed out there, descended from European wolves originally. Found one for $400, decent deal if you know what Border Heelers are. But I also found some online for almost $2200.

Nuts.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:23 PM

We’re an English Bulldog family. Our last guy passed about 4yrs ago. We now have three. They don’t come cheap. Standard price from a reputable breeder is about $2500. But if your familiar with the breed there is a lot of costs in breeding (AI, C-Section births, etc..). If you’re paying more than that then you are getting ripped off. Our breeder has been doing this for over 20yrs and had the #1 bulldog in Canada (our boy is one of his pups). She sell bulldogs all over the world and has never upped her prices and says she won’t. I’ve seen pups go for over $10k. It’s nuts what people will pay to have a “designer” dog (people think we’re nuts for what we pay). Lots of it’s for certain rare colours that actually are not even recognized by the CKC. So essentially a mutt
Old 10-16-2021, 10:16 AM

Default Caveat Emptor

The cheapest part of a dog is the purchase price. What you want is a healthy dog! The best way to increase your odds are to buy a working dog breed, not a show dog, and the pedigree should IMO maximize the gene pool.

Just my experience.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:30 AM

It’s not 1978 anymore. People won’t show up to work for minimum wage.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:12 PM

I wound up in a funny situation due to me not spending more time looking. I was looking for a Kangal pup to be a companion for my dog. I thought I found a 4 month old one that wasn't working out for a family, and it was claimed to be a kangal. To me, the pup looked probable to be a kangal pup that was distressed, and bought sight unseen.....

For the first 2 days I had him, he looked like a Kangal. Now, with some good food in him, he looks like a GSD/Belgian Malinos cross to me. As he shows no interest in being with livestock, or paying attention to them, I'll have to find a home for him. Really great pup, and really smart. Loves people and kids. Seems to learn fast. He's good with my dog.

So, I just want the $600 I spent on him, and if you want the new collar I bought, an extra $20. If anyone here is looking for a GSD type, let me know, and I can send pics. I'd prefer people to come here, as it's easier to get a read on how the pup reacts to people if the pup isn't distressed from a car ride.

I'm limited to 2 dogs, or I'd keep him. He's such a happy little fellow now.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:57 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
... I'm limited to 2 dogs, or I'd keep him. He's such a happy little fellow now.
How old is he?

Lost our big Wolf Hybrid Boogs a year and a half ago now.
Can't find any hybrids at this point despite some hard searching.
Now perhaps considering alternatives...

Nog
Old 10-16-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
We just picked up a puppy… he wasn’t cheap, but he is an ultra rare breed and will be used as a stud when he is older.

LC
Just like his daddy!
Old 10-16-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Just like his daddy!
Lol… well the dog and I are both still “intact” :

LC