Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2021, 06:31 PM
Banned

Default Man armed with bow and arrow kills five people

"A man armed with a bow and arrow killed five people and wounded two others in a series of attacks in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg on Wednesday, local police said..."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ay-2021-10-13/
Old 10-13-2021, 06:55 PM

Next thing you know the liberals will take away all our scissors too.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:21 PM

They are going to have to ban military grade assault bows now. Also, no more armor piercing, incendiary, or tracer arrows. There is no place for these types of weapons in Canada.

Recurve and longbows are still okay. Unless they have a draw weight over 65 lbs.

Ok, all sarcasm aside, it's not a joking matter that people got killed by someone with mental issues. It's too easy to slip into sarcasm and forget lives were ended and ruined by this. Which is why I hate it even more when our politicians grave dance on these events.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-13-2021, 07:28 PM

I guess it won't be long before the liberals put restrictions on bows.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:17 PM
Banned

Just one more confirmation of statement: Guns don't kill people, people do.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:21 PM

What a horrible way for a life to be taken. By some sick and twisted coward.

They mention the other guy that killed 77 people at a youth camp in 2011. I hadn't heard about that one. Jeez what the heck is wrong with these people.

I love shooting stuff, and I really don't like most of the people I come in contact with in day to day life. But I would never even consider combining the two together.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:22 PM

Crazy stuff. Quiet little village approximately 80 km out of Oslo. God Bless. 🙏.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:55 PM

Default Too soon?

This tragedy could have been prevented if only he had been carrying his binos.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-13-2021, 10:27 PM

Too soon Urban R,

TBark
Old 10-14-2021, 06:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Wednesday’s attack, which is being considered an act of terrorism, saw five killed – four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70 – and two people were wounded as the suspect walked around shooting people with arrows.

Simply horrible for all involved....brutal.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-14-2021, 07:15 AM

There are some pretty darn sick and deranged people walking among us.

You just don't know what sets them off.

When it happens pretty darn sad
Old 10-14-2021, 07:17 AM

According to BBC, he was known to police.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58910794

The suspect, a 37-year-old Danish citizen, had converted to Islam and there were fears he had been radicalised, police say.

Police fired warning shots when he was eventually arrested, but it is not clear if officers were armed when they first came across the suspect. Norwegian police do not usually carry guns on them - weapons are stored at police stations or in their patrol cars.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
"A man armed with a bow and arrow killed five people and wounded two others in a series of attacks in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg on Wednesday, local police said..."

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ay-2021-10-13/
"The only purpose for these weapons is to kill a handful of people in a few minutes."
Old 10-14-2021, 03:39 PM

Sad day for sure as you don’t want to see that happen to anyone anywhere. I’d be curious how many people were injured/killed after the police showed up who were unarmed? If they had a duty side arm readily available they could have ended this attack sooner.

People can say why they want about police carrying but all it would have taken is 1 person to end an event like this earlier preventing more loss of life/trauma. It’s like home owners insurance, most of us pay into it our entire lives and never use it. Fired a warning shot? What good is that going to do for an active shooter/killer situation ? No different than standing by waiting for back up when a school shooting is taking place. Rule #1 run to sound of screaming Rule #2 shoot to kill!

A lot of good having your police carry guns now is Norway! I’d be angry if I was a citizen there!
Old 10-14-2021, 03:51 PM

Default Man armed with bow and arrow kills five people

Ford
Your rules apply to those trained to do so…even if the average Joe can carry he or she has not the mindset nor training to engage…every situation is different.
At the end of the day this is tragic
Bugger is in custody and should be hung….your type works hard to put them away but the justice system lets them prance around better of then the average citizen while locked up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-14-2021, 06:31 PM

Firing squad by arrows until dead. Don't care what set him off (the devil made me do it). After the first one hit and continues with more deaths, there is no rehab for this individual. One week later, eliminate him and all the bleeding hearts and not the tax payers can pay for his funeral from their pockets. It was cold blooded and planned to kill. No sympathy here what so ever. MY OPINION
Old 10-14-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I’d be curious how many people were injured/killed after the police showed up who were unarmed? If they had a duty side arm readily available they could have ended this attack sooner.
According to the local police chief, the killings occurred after the initial contact with the police.

Quote:
The attack was first reported at 18:13 (16:13 GMT) on Wednesday. Police confronted the man six minutes later, but he shot several arrows at them and escaped. He was eventually caught about 30 minutes later.

It was during this time, between being first approached and then arrested, that the victims were killed, the police chief said.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-14-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ford
Your rules apply to those trained to do so…even if the average Joe can carry he or she has not the mindset nor training to engage…every situation is different.
At the end of the day this is tragic
Bugger is in custody and should be hung….your type works hard to put them away but the justice system lets them prance around better of then the average citizen while locked up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I totally disagree with you on that. Since 2005 I've been employed carrying a gun in one form or another from the Army to Law Enforcement. I have seen my fair share of people that are "trained" as you put it, both military and LE who can shoot expert at a paper targets but when rounds are coming back at them or the paper target is replaced with a live human, they freeze. Nobody knows how they will react until faced with that situation but saying only the trained can perform as such is ridiculous. I've seen plenty of people who have received little/no training in use of force situations that I would gladly go to a gun fight with. True training helps the mindset but life experiences goes hand in hand with how one will react.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
And I totally disagree with you on that. Since 2005 I've been employed carrying a gun in one form or another from the Army to Law Enforcement. I have seen my fair share of people that are "trained" as you put it, both military and LE who can shoot expert at a paper targets but when rounds are coming back at them or the paper target is replaced with a live human, they freeze. Nobody knows how they will react until faced with that situation but saying only the trained can perform as such is ridiculous. I've seen plenty of people who have received little/no training in use of force situations that I would gladly go to a gun fight with. True training helps the mindset but life experiences goes hand in hand with how one will react.
I totally agree with you on this post.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I am saying average Joe is all...be it with or without a badge, rank etc.....if there is an issue it will surface once all hell breaks loose...sometimes that mindset takes a bit to develop hopefully quicker when required....I think we can all agree that this fella should not be behind bars.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertip View Post
There are some pretty darn sick and deranged people walking among us.

You just don't know what sets them off.

When it happens pretty darn sad
We're all abnormal people, living in abnormal circumstances, it's called over population and leads to abnormal behavior.

Grizz
Old 10-15-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I am saying average Joe is all...be it with or without a badge, rank etc.....if there is an issue it will surface once all hell breaks loose...sometimes that mindset takes a bit to develop hopefully quicker when required....I think we can all agree that this fella should not be behind bars.
agreed, he should be in a morgue. Interestingly he admitted to the murders... and people are quick to question mental health, not the weapon. If it was a gun would they still question mental health or automatically blame the question?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

KONGSBERG, Norway — The man accused of killing five people and wounding two others with a bow and arrow in the small Scandinavian town of Kongsberg has confessed to the rampage, his defense lawyer said in an interview on Friday.

Espen Anderson Brathen, 37, a Danish citizen and local convert to Islam, “admits to committing the acts he is charged with,’’ said his lawyer, Fredrick Neumann, adding that his client was also undergoing a mental health evaluation “by doctors and health personnel.”

Mr. Brathen, who has been charged with murder has not yet pleaded in the case, despite his admission of guilt. Following a court hearing on Friday, his detention was extended as investigators continue to assemble their case, following a horrifying killing spree earlier this week that spread fear in this town of 27,000 people and shocked the entire country.

Mr. Brathen was arrested on Wednesday evening after he entered a Coop Extra supermarket in Kongsberg and began firing arrows from a hunting bow at shoppers, the authorities say. He then stormed through the streets, at one point eluding police and firing arrows in multiple directions, leaving a total of five people dead and two others wounded.

The authorities have said that the attack had the hallmarks of “an act of terror.” Mr. Brathen was a convert to Islam but police have not yet offered a motive for the attack. They are also examining past incidents in which Mr. Brathen exhibited violent tendencies.

Last year, the suspect was given a six-month restraining order at the request of his parents. According to court records, his parents called the police after Mr. Brathen refused to leave their house, threatened to kill his father and left a Colt revolver on their sofa. Mr. Brathen was previously convicted of theft and drug possession.

“We are all shocked by what happened,” said Kongsberg’s mayor, Anne Sand, in a Friday news conference. “It is a tragic event, and we as a society will have to carry it with us for many years.”

Norway’s new prime minister, Jonas Gahr Store, who took up his post on Thursday, is expected to visit the town soon.

In the town center on Friday morning, residents milled around a memorial of candles and flowers commemorating the victims. One woman, 75, who declined to be identified, described the killings as a tragedy and questioned whether Mr. Brathen had fallen through the cracks of the local mental health system.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
According to BBC, he was known to police.

The suspect, a 37-year-old Danish citizen, had converted to Islam and there were fears he had been radicalised, police say.

Police fired warning shots when he was eventually arrested, but it is not clear if officers were armed when they first came across the suspect. Norwegian police do not usually carry guns on them - weapons are stored at police stations or in their patrol cars.
If only one of the citizens had been armed? the story would/could/should have been totally different. But never fear the police are only minutes away or so we have been force fed for the last 60 years or more which is about 300 seconds to late.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:08 AM

So the bottom line, is that five people are dead, because although the police responded in time, they were not capable of taking the suspect into custody.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:21 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
agreed, he should be in a morgue. Interestingly he admitted to the murders... and people are quick to question mental health, not the weapon. If it was a gun would they still question mental health or automatically blame the question?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

KONGSBERG, Norway — The man accused of killing five people and wounding two others with a bow and arrow in the small Scandinavian town of Kongsberg has confessed to the rampage, his defense lawyer said in an interview on Friday.

Espen Anderson Brathen, 37, a Danish citizen and local convert to Islam, “admits to committing the acts he is charged with,’’ said his lawyer, Fredrick Neumann, adding that his client was also undergoing a mental health evaluation “by doctors and health personnel.”

Mr. Brathen, who has been charged with murder has not yet pleaded in the case, despite his admission of guilt. Following a court hearing on Friday, his detention was extended as investigators continue to assemble their case, following a horrifying killing spree earlier this week that spread fear in this town of 27,000 people and shocked the entire country.

Mr. Brathen was arrested on Wednesday evening after he entered a Coop Extra supermarket in Kongsberg and began firing arrows from a hunting bow at shoppers, the authorities say. He then stormed through the streets, at one point eluding police and firing arrows in multiple directions, leaving a total of five people dead and two others wounded.

The authorities have said that the attack had the hallmarks of “an act of terror.” Mr. Brathen was a convert to Islam but police have not yet offered a motive for the attack. They are also examining past incidents in which Mr. Brathen exhibited violent tendencies.

Last year, the suspect was given a six-month restraining order at the request of his parents. According to court records, his parents called the police after Mr. Brathen refused to leave their house, threatened to kill his father and left a Colt revolver on their sofa. Mr. Brathen was previously convicted of theft and drug possession.

“We are all shocked by what happened,” said Kongsberg’s mayor, Anne Sand, in a Friday news conference. “It is a tragic event, and we as a society will have to carry it with us for many years.”

Norway’s new prime minister, Jonas Gahr Store, who took up his post on Thursday, is expected to visit the town soon.

In the town center on Friday morning, residents milled around a memorial of candles and flowers commemorating the victims. One woman, 75, who declined to be identified, described the killings as a tragedy and questioned whether Mr. Brathen had fallen through the cracks of the local mental health system.

So many issues to take into consideration when something like this happens, mental health, hate, addiction but what upsets me is the time spent on the one that did all the damage and not so much for the victims.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So the bottom line, is that five people are dead, because although the police responded in time, they were not capable of taking the suspect into custody.
Here we go again....

Old 10-16-2021, 09:13 AM

I was just thinking they’d ban bowhunting in Norway but I went on google and it’s already illegal…
Old 10-16-2021, 10:11 AM

Default Untreated Mental illness

I think what we are seeing here is the very sad effects of untreated mental illness. We have had/have the same thing here in Alberta. As sad as it is humans are subject to mental illness and we need to treat it or we will get more of this sort of thing. Suicide falls into the same class as a serious mental illness. Some one attacked a number of people in Calgary yesterday with a machete, the solution is obviously not banning knives but more available and aggressive methods of treatment.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:05 PM

Some one attacked a number of people in Calgary yesterday with a machete,

Not the first time something like this has happened, usually just gets skimmed over in the Media. Downtown Calgary harbors a concentration of street people, many with serious mental illnesses. Some claim it's because safe injection sites bring them there, you take your life in your hands there after dark.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8