Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2021, 09:32 PM

Default Is your favourite restaurant safe to eat at?

How often do you check?

https://ephisahs.microsoftcrmportals...ntinspections/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-15-2021, 08:32 AM

Lol one of my favorite pizza places no one has food handling training, not even the owner at the time of Oct 21, 2020

Surprisingly the local Pizza Hut has zero violations.

Another in the town I live in has quite a few yet people rave about the place. My wife and I won't eat there and this reinforces that lol.

Smoke and Ash BBQ, one of my favorite places, no violations.

Great post OP, sure is interesting some of the violations places get.... Yuck
Old 10-15-2021, 09:12 AM

Last edited by Brankon; 10-15-2021 at 09:19 AM. Reason: dumb brain
Old 10-15-2021, 09:58 AM

I haven’t looked at the list, you know as a “pro” is disgusts me that not every damned employee in a restaurant isn’t required to have advanced food handling knowledge.

I’m so bloody careful about food handling but I’ve been in the back of some establishments that I’d never eat a single thing in. As a customer I notice things that you wouldn’t with the “untrained” eye, I’ve never been in a single establishment that doesn’t do something “improperly.” It’s the little things adding up accompanied by time and temperature that cause problems.

You know what though? Most of us get food poisoning from home, we do it to ourselves.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:59 AM

If you’ve ever had to do any maintenance work in a restaurant kitchen, you’d have a hard time eating in one again! 🤢🤣
Old 10-15-2021, 10:43 AM

I invite people who must eat at fast food places to not just walk in and order, observe the guy who
prepares the food (in an unnoticeable way). Just over a week ago, watched as the food prep guy put lettuce
on a burger, then proceeded wiping both palms on the sides of his fancy, shiny, black company pants, picked up the burger
& placed it into the take out bag with napkins & the customer was none the wiser..imagine this guy
doing this all dam day? Needless to say, I bolted out the door disgusted.

In these covidian times, I keep hearing over PA store speakers: "Wash your hands", I say: "Watch their hands"!
Old 10-15-2021, 10:47 AM

Gave that up years ago prices got to high, found the food was not good, service and wait times drove me out of my mind, and with the noise in a restaurant couldn’t talk to someone if i wanted to. That and the fact we raise our own beef, grow our own garden and hunt and fish. Table fair at home is much better and prepared in a clean kitchen by our hands.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
If you’ve ever had to do any maintenance work in a restaurant kitchen, you’d have a hard time eating in one again! 🤢🤣
Yup. Did all the air ducts in an east side Mario’s one time after hours. Really turned me off. Surprisingly my boss said it was one of the better ones.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:16 AM

You think the restaurants are bad, check out the butcher shops. For those hunters in Strathcona County who don't process their own meat :
Butcher Block
https://ephisahs.microsoftcrmportals...0-000d3af49c44
Charlie's Place ( former Butcher Bus)
https://ephisahs.microsoftcrmportals...e-000d3af49373

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-15-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Amen to that.

Had a friend who worked for a company that put in the computer systems (kind of like the Squirrel computers).

The stories he told of the kitchen conditions were awful. Like the cooks having bets on how long the mice and roaches would live after being stuck to the glue traps.

I did enjoy eating out with him, though. He knew exactly which restaurants were good to eat at, and from time to time, we would get a free dinner if he did a quick maintenance/debug on their systems.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
You think the restaurants are bad, check out the butcher shops. For those hunters in Strathcona County who don't process their own meat :
Butcher Block
https://ephisahs.microsoftcrmportals...0-000d3af49c44
Charlie's Place ( former Butcher Bus)
https://ephisahs.microsoftcrmportals...e-000d3af49373
Wow, the number of violations, gross lol I'm gonna have to check the place we use for our cattle.

Tofield Packers, zero violations. Nice.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:

It does tend to make you selective, especially Chinese ones.

Grizz
Old 10-15-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Wow, the number of violations, gross lol I'm gonna have to check the place we use for our cattle.

Tofield Packers, zero violations. Nice.
When I worked at Gainers in Edmonton we had the inspectors give us 2-3 days notice for an inspection. All cleaning was done in a day to make it spic and span. It was not the normal conditions but inspection was passed.

I wonder if butcher shops and Tofield Packers also get a warning ahead of time.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-15-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
When I worked at Gainers in Edmonton we had the inspectors give us 2-3 days notice for an inspection. All cleaning was done in a day to make it spic and span. It was not the normal conditions but inspection was passed.

I wonder if butcher shops and Tofield Packers also get a warning ahead of time.
Maybe, probably unless there was a big issue that needed the surprise visit.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:32 PM

Even eating at a friend's place gives me the chills sometimes. It's amazing the amount of people that don't wash their hands after taking a dump.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Even eating at a friend's place gives me the chills sometimes. It's amazing the amount of people that don't wash their hands after taking a dump.
Place I used to work at had one of those bird bath type sinks in the washroom. When you left one of the stalls you basically had to walk around this sink to have to leave the washroom. Numerous people were seen leaving the stall and walking around the sink and heading to the coffee room without washing their hands. Stopped buying sugar cubes, better to pour sugar from a container than have dirty fingers touching all the sugar cubes. Some people are surprisingly gross. I remember a friend of mine was in the washroom at a local restaurant and watched a cook leave without washing his hands, just like that Seinfeld episode
Old 10-15-2021, 03:37 PM

This summer we stopped in the clubhouse after a round of golf and witnessed the young girl making the Caesar salad, licking her fingers during the process. Needless to say I don’t miss eating in restaurants that much now!
Old 10-15-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
This summer we stopped in the clubhouse after a round of golf and witnessed the young girl making the Caesar salad, licking her fingers during the process. Needless to say I don’t miss eating in restaurants that much now!
I’ve seen that a lot.
They are usually staring intensely at me and going in slow motion though…
Old 10-15-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I’ve seen that a lot.
They are usually staring intensely at me and going in slow motion though…
Hooters? 🤣🤣
Old 10-15-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:

My question is: How do you know?....
Old 10-15-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
It's amazing the amount of people that don't wash their hands after taking a dump.
With all the technology advancements and safety updates over the last 30 years, it’s not even necessary anymore. Waste of time.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So has anybody else looked at the URL and gone 'Whisky Tango Foxtrot???'?

Why exactly is this AHS information being hosted on a MicroSoft website?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:28 PM

Default Is your favourite restaurant

I’ve done electrical work before in restaurant kitchens that would make you gag. I worked in a Chinese restaurant in Edmonton once that you could practically stick your linesman pliers to the wall, it was so greasy and filthy in there.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
My question is: How do you know?....
Listing of problems that include E Coli.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:50 PM

I was in a hotel in Varadero and it was a set up where they had different food stations. Lined up and got your chow.

I was in line for grilled chicken when I saw the guy using the flipper to carry fresh chicken from a bucket to the grill…then without washing it use it to scoop up chicken and serve it. He also wasn’t wearing gloves and handled raw chicken and touched the fresh chicken with his hands. Then went to the garbage can…with his hands stuffed the garbage down and went back to flipping the chicken.

Needless to say I had the shrimp stir fry.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:55 PM

I got sick at another place in Cubs after ordering lobster. Found out later that they take the lobster off the grill and slice it down the middle on the cutting board. The same cutting board they cut the raw chicken on.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I have a bit of OCD when it comes to washing my hands right before I handle food. And if I touch another kind of food or any BBQ dials or anything like that the hands get washed again.

For an average BBQ I'll wash my hands with soap half a dozen times.

My friends give me a hard time about it but also thank me for it.

Even grosser for me is someone cooking with dirt and who knows what else under their fingernails. I'll just leave it at that.

Great link OP
Old 10-16-2021, 08:14 AM

Ever notice that there seem to be a lot cooks and servers are smokers, they stand out back having a cigarette, hope they wash their mits after a f.g before preparing your food.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Lol one of my favorite pizza places no one has food handling training, not even the owner at the time of Oct 21, 2020

Surprisingly the local Pizza Hut has zero violations.

Another in the town I live in has quite a few yet people rave about the place. My wife and I won't eat there and this reinforces that lol.

Smoke and Ash BBQ, one of my favorite places, no violations.

Great post OP, sure is interesting some of the violations places get.... Yuck
Smoke and Ash is excellent, also they are great for takeout for large groups.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 10-16-2021, 08:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

I think ya gotta get a little grim and stuff in a meal....keeps your body on a even keel.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...