Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2021, 04:25 PM

Default Wild boar in Saskatchewan

Interesting news blip in the weather channel. I don't know how to bring it over here. If I knew how to find some, my freezer might not have quite so much room in it.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:32 PM

We already have wild boar in Alberta they’re an invasive species so if you see one they’re fair game.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:09 PM

There's a few folks doing research into this, even mapping them. One is/was a member here.

Here's one:
https://www.facebook.com/WildPigResearch
Old 10-14-2021, 06:58 PM
Banned

Driving into Saskatoon For Sunday dinner we spotted a group of about 20, including some juveniles, in a mud bog along side highway 14 in Asquith. These were the first I've ever seen but apparently they've been around since before I moved here in '09. I've heard that the pressure put on them by hunters has driven them to become nocturnal feeders.

The story is some farmers thought they would make a great addition to the bottom line until they ran off for greener pastures and fewer throat cuttings.

Free
Old 10-14-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Driving into Saskatoon For Sunday dinner we spotted a group of about 20, including some juveniles, in a mud bog along side highway 14 in Asquith. These were the first I've ever seen but apparently they've been around since before I moved here in '09. I've heard that the pressure put on them by hunters has driven them to become nocturnal feeders.

The story is some farmers thought they would make a great addition to the bottom line until they ran off for greener pastures and fewer throat cuttings.

Free
I’m hunting about 1/2 hour away if you can drop a pin😁
Old 10-14-2021, 07:38 PM

I’m driving in the asquith/Perdue area quite a bit this time of year just wishing for an opportunity like that. Wow
Old 10-14-2021, 07:47 PM

There’s a group by south end turtle lake sask sneaky buggers only come out at night
Old 10-14-2021, 08:08 PM

Article posted yesterday on the CBC:

Quote:
Ryan Brook of the Canadian Wild Pig Research Project, based out of the University of Saskatchewan, said that while the Elk Island sightings hit the headlines, there are more wild pigs in Saskatchewan than anywhere else in Canada.

"We are well on track to have more wild pigs than people here in Saskatchewan," Brook said.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ewan-1.6209851

Wild Boar are smart, I can believe that hunting them like a typical prey animal would be counterproductive to controlling their numbers.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-14-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Free
I was at a farmer's market in Saskatoon on Saturday. I bought some wild boar bacon. I believe the farm was somewhere in that vicinity. Or, was that the bison farm I bought some steaks from? I'm not super familiar with Saskatchewan. I do know there is a hunt farm near North Battleford for hogs.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:58 PM

Apparently they are rampant in some parts of SE SK. Carlyle and Wawota areas.

I had some meat given to me from the Maple Creek/Cypress Hills area about 15 years ago and I still can hardly forget the smell of that garbage cooking let alone the taste of it.

It was putrid.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

my experience with these wild boars is they taste awesome...I guess it depends where they are routing around and eating but man some great cuts off them.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-15-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
my experience with these wild boars is they taste awesome...I guess it depends where they are routing around and eating but man some great cuts off them.
I believe you are right, but I think the boys can be kinda rank, I think the girls are safer.

I used to run iron around this area, I had a customer with hogs, I bought a pig. there was a stink to that meat. We got through some of it, the rest went to the dog.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Article posted yesterday on the CBC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ewan-1.6209851

Wild Boar are smart, I can believe that hunting them like a typical prey animal would be counterproductive to controlling their numbers.
This is the article I had read, I don't know how to post it.

I would like to thank you.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
I’m hunting about 1/2 hour away if you can drop a pin😁
Eastbound: turn left to go into Asquith or turn right into the mud hole- now dried up and uprooted by the big black hogs. NO shooting!!
Old 10-16-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I believe you are right, but I think the boys can be kinda rank, I think the girls are safer.

I used to run iron around this area, I had a customer with hogs, I bought a pig. there was a stink to that meat. We got through some of it, the rest went to the dog.
It’s called Boar Taint and it is nasty!

I’m guessing they named it that because it must have smelled/ tasted like a Boars taint?

Who the heck was the guy to figure that out?
Old 10-16-2021, 08:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
It’s called Boar Taint and it is nasty!

I’m guessing they named it that because it must have smelled/ tasted like a Boars taint?

Who the heck was the guy to figure that out?
Every group has a Mikey....and we all sit back and watch

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-17-2021, 11:41 AM

If these hogs get a serious foothold here in Alberta I would hope the F&W will change the regs to allow night time hunting otherwise it"ll get out o control
Old 10-17-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorse Cowboy View Post
If these hogs get a serious foothold here in Alberta I would hope the F&W will change the regs to allow night time hunting otherwise it"ll get out o control
The restriction of night time hunting is a safety issue I think as you may not be able to see what's behind your line of fire in the dark (houses, barns, vehicles, machinery or property never mind livestock and people).

I doubt that will ever be allowed.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post

FIL used to go down to Texas and hunt wild pig. Said it was the stinkiest thing he ever dealt with more so then bear. I know some guys who hunt them on their property down south will bait with a bunch of fruit/veggies for a week or two before they hunt. they say it changes the taste of the meat. I dunno as I don't eat pig so???
Old 10-18-2021, 07:55 AM

I've shot about a 100 of them. Any boars over 60lbs get left in the brush. The sows seem to be okay regardless of age.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-18-2021, 08:12 AM

Shot my share of hogs in Pearsall , Tx . Saturday night was a party and a split pig was on huge grill for hrs that got lowered down a well type cement casing that was about 4' deep and about the same in diameter, full of mesquite wood. The old boy cranked it up and down at different levels. When she was done up on picnic table it went on huge tray and everyone had at er with knife and fork , pulled pork at it's finest. I thought it was excellent. Never heard no complaints.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:18 AM
Banned

One giant was still rooting around in the mud when I drove by Sunday afternoon. There's a report-a-hog hotline in Sask. and I was reading about a farmer near Foam Lake that raises them. He says it is quite a job keeping them penned.

Free
Old 10-18-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The restriction of night time hunting is a safety issue I think as you may not be able to see what's behind your line of fire in the dark (houses, barns, vehicles, machinery or property never mind livestock and people).

I doubt that will ever be allowed.
They hunt them at night in Texas, coyotes too!
Old 10-18-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Shot my share of hogs in Pearsall , Tx . Saturday night was a party and a split pig was on huge grill for hrs that got lowered down a well type cement casing that was about 4' deep and about the same in diameter, full of mesquite wood. The old boy cranked it up and down at different levels. When she was done up on picnic table it went on huge tray and everyone had at er with knife and fork , pulled pork at it's finest. I thought it was excellent. Never heard no complaints.
Not the same animal....Texas hogs are mixed with domestic pigs, there is very little European Boar in their bloodlines. My buddy in McAllen, TX shoots lots of them and they look like domestic pigs in the pictures and he says they taste like domestic raised pork.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
One giant was still rooting around in the mud when I drove by Sunday afternoon. There's a report-a-hog hotline in Sask. and I was reading about a farmer near Foam Lake that raises them. He says it is quite a job keeping them penned.

Free
Alsagers South of Maidstone had ton of them escape back in the 90's we tried to find them along the battle river valley, I never got one a few guys I know knocked over a few.