Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I didn’t think about needing a police report. Since it wasn’t a vehicle accident do you still think a police report is needed?

When I read this…

https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance...n-alberta.html

I don’t think my situation qualifies?

Do as you feel but if it was me I would be filing the report if damages are over 2000. If you end up with any issues down the road you may be happy to have it. At minimum I would call the cop shop and check for sure because there is a 400 buck fine for failing to report if required to do so.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:56 AM

Just my opinion, but you seem to be doing a good job of documenting, but I suggest you document more. As others have said Volker will have dealt with this exact thing many times and will be likely to have a process. It will take a bit of time I assume. I would be very tempted to turn the whole thing over to our local Toyota dealer as they will also have experience with this and follow up with cc's to Volker.

In the past when folks / Company's have been slow or reluctant to step up, I have hired a lawyer, supplied them with the documentation I had and copy of the letter I wanted to send under their Letterhead. Allstate was a lot nicer after that and cost was minimal.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Had this happen once and was told to get all repaired, cleaned etc and the company paid all the bills.
I told the glass company and company doing the cleaning and they direct billed the company responsible for the damage done.
Only pain was waiting for the glass replacement which took a few days to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Had this happen once and was told to get all repaired, cleaned etc and the company paid all the bills.
I told the glass company and company doing the cleaning and they direct billed the company responsible for the damage done.
Only pain was waiting for the glass replacement which took a few days to get in.

Did you need a police report?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-06-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Beside Sanling well 16-3-14-20-W4 on HWY 845 just north of HWY 25.

From the first pic the angle he is on I can see how a good size rock could come shooting out from under the side. He might have still been able to lower that side a bit more (if paying attention to contour). From the second pic the mower just sitting there I see the shield on the back of tractor and drop down chains on back bottom of mower. I'm thinking there should have been some chain on the side parts or at least some rubber to stop the projectiles. Just something else to maybe consider if they argue a point. Had that happen many years ago. Thought someone shot out the window.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Did you need a police report?

No, I went to the company who’s grass cutter chucked the rock through my side window and they said they will cover all cost so I went about getting the window repaired etc and just gave them the name, contact of the company which they verified and that was it.
The only part I did was make a few calls and show up which was a bit of a pain but could have been worse.

Old 10-06-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
From the first pic the angle he is on I can see how a good size rock could come shooting out from under the side. He might have still been able to lower that side a bit more (if paying attention to contour). From the second pic the mower just sitting there I see the shield on the back of tractor and drop down chains on back bottom of mower. I'm thinking there should have been some chain on the side parts or at least some rubber to stop the projectiles. Just something else to maybe consider if they argue a point. Had that happen many years ago. Thought someone shot out the window.
I pointed out to them that they could fix their process a little and further eliminate this happening.

You saw the same as I.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-13-2021, 10:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I blew out the side window on a couple of rental cars over the years. The one was a huge rock about 6" in diameter thrown out of the duallies by a flat deck going the other way. I could see it coming but could not get over far enough, did manage to keep it from hitting the windshield. The shotgun pellet effect is 100% the broken glass going down the side of the car at speed. The cost to fix that was a LOT more than the window replacement. You have to paint the whole piece, no way to just touch it up and look right. My Visa had the waiver insurance, it covered both instances. Second time, just lost the window, no paint damage. If it were me, I would not be talking to my insurance unless I ran into issues with Volker. I would however get an estimate on the paint work as if you are over $2000 for glass and paint you must file a report at the police station and technically you need a police report to get it fixed. The report is supposed to be done within a certain time period.
Update. Getting two quotes to fix paint chips. Volker so far seems reasonable to deal with.

Auto body shop had the repair come in over $2000. Said I don’t need a police report as it was not an accident…it was property damage by rocks.

Learning lots.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Update. Getting two quotes to fix paint chips. Volker so far seems reasonable to deal with.

Auto body shop had the repair come in over $2000. Said I don’t need a police report as it was not an accident…it was property damage by rocks.

Learning lots.
Yup that’s exactly what I did, a little leg work and phoned around etc
Got repairs done and the repair company direct billed the mower company.

Everyone was very nice to deal with.

Good luck.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:00 AM

my buddy was starting to combine on closest 1/4 to house and the county mower thru a big rock and smashed the combine big front glass. Yah he had to change his shorts and that combine was down. It happens.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
my buddy was starting to combine on closest 1/4 to house and the county mower thru a big rock and smashed the combine big front glass. Yah he had to change his shorts and that combine was down. It happens.
Yup. I didn’t snap at the guy drive the tractor. It’s a royal pain but stuff happens. Getting worked up doesn’t make it better.

Now if the company doesn’t come through and keep me whole. I will be miffed.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I blew out the side window on a couple of rental cars over the years. The one was a huge rock about 6" in diameter thrown out of the duallies by a flat deck going the other way. I could see it coming but could not get over far enough, did manage to keep it from hitting the windshield.
A woman was killed near here a few years ago by a big rock tossed out of the wheels of a logging truck. Went through the windshield and smashed her head. She was passenger, husband driving, kids in the back. They all must have PTSD.

FWIW, logging truck drivers are supposed to check all wheels before going on the highway.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
A woman was killed near here a few years ago by a big rock tossed out of the wheels of a logging truck. Went through the windshield and smashed her head. She was passenger, husband driving, kids in the back. They all must have PTSD.

FWIW, logging truck drivers are supposed to check all wheels before going on the highway.
That nearly happened to me outside of Hinton. Can't remember if it was a logging or gravel truck, but the rock that hit my windshield filled the entire cab of the vac truck I was driving with glass shards, and a 4" wide rock chip on the glass right in front of my forehead.

I didn't get all the shards out of my hair for a week or 2. Cut myself on glass shards trapped in my backpack months later. Closest I have come to death in my estimation. Elevated heartbeat for the next 7 hours until I made it home. Windshield was toast when I got back, soft to the touch, and there must've been 6-7 cracks full width of the windshield that spidered out. Rocks on highway are no joke in any capacity, especially those mowers. No amount of being careful can prevent catching a rock, timing just doesn't work out sometimes.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan15 View Post
That nearly happened to me outside of Hinton. Can't remember if it was a logging or gravel truck, but the rock that hit my windshield filled the entire cab of the vac truck I was driving with glass shards, and a 4" wide rock chip on the glass right in front of my forehead.

I didn't get all the shards out of my hair for a week or 2. Cut myself on glass shards trapped in my backpack months later. Closest I have come to death in my estimation. Elevated heartbeat for the next 7 hours until I made it home. Windshield was toast when I got back, soft to the touch, and there must've been 6-7 cracks full width of the windshield that spidered out. Rocks on highway are no joke in any capacity, especially those mowers. No amount of being careful can prevent catching a rock, timing just doesn't work out sometimes.
i can relate. in 1986 i was living in cochrane and driving home on the 1a in my brand new car.....met a gravel truck and a big rock fell off the load. it came bouncing down the road and all i could do was watch it come. it all happened so fast i couldn't avoid it, and it hit the front passenger's headlight. smashed it all out. extremely lucky it hit the headlight right on and didn't do any body damage. followed the truck to the worksite and got his details. after talking to the office people, i had a hell of a time getting them to come up with the 600 dollars for the damage, but prevailed and finally got paid for it.

if that rock would have hit the windshield in front of me, i don't think i'd be around to tell the story.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Learning lots.
Sounds like it is working out. Glad you didn't need the police report, in my case the Rental Car company insisted I phone one in, I was already back home. They said the body shop they use wouldn't fix their car without it. Wasn't a big deal, took maybe ten minutes on the phone with the Ft Mac RCs.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Sounds like it is working out. Glad you didn't need the police report, in my case the Rental Car company insisted I phone one in, I was already back home. They said the body shop they use wouldn't fix their car without it. Wasn't a big deal, took maybe ten minutes on the phone with the Ft Mac RCs.
That could make sense that as you are not the owner they wanted proof it wasn’t in accident and the police report as a legal document would accomplish that. Could of also been a requirement under the rental policy.

Even so it is good to know that someday when I go someplace and rent a car. When renting in Iceland they tried really hard to sell you up on insurance for windblown volcanic ash damage.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:20 PM

Default Update

Told today they will pay for glass and paint damage.

So just let the painting place know.

So far it’s been a royal pain however, except for some communication delays they seem to be moving along and doing the right thing.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Told today they will pay for glass and paint damage.

So just let the painting place know.

So far it’s been a royal pain however, except for some communication delays they seem to be moving along and doing the right thing.
Good news
Old 10-26-2021, 08:29 PM
Banned

Glad this is getting resolved
Old 10-26-2021, 10:01 PM

Glad it went fairly smooth. Bad enough getting the damage, at least u aren't having to fight tooth and nail for compensation.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Glad it went fairly smooth. Bad enough getting the damage, at least u aren't having to fight tooth and nail for compensation.
Yup. Just signed off on the release. Painting and windows are fixed.

Auto body shop was paid directly by the company. They need to reimburse me for the window replacement. Then we are done.

It was a pain but Lou’s Autobody was easy to deal with.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:15 PM

Missed this thread.

'Throw a side winder'?

Were you typing with your toes sun?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Missed this thread.

'Throw a side winder'?

Were you typing with your toes sun?
Lol. I missed that typo. Shhh. Don’t tell anyone.

Still. The rock did get thrown from a tractor and came in from the side… and caused lots of extra wind er in the car.

It’s very annoying driving down a highway with a window missing.

Not sure what causes that wind thumping noise pulsing your ear drums.

Yuck.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:24 PM

They got me with a guy just weed whipping blew passenger side window out, they make a claim so hard you just …..cant swear.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 11-09-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
They got me with a guy just weed whipping blew passenger side window out, they make a claim so hard you just …..cant swear.
You should have called me

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....