Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2021, 07:11 PM

Default So what’s the odds of getting a rock throw a side winder by a Volker Stevins ditch tractor mower?

Ummm.

For me 100%

What a pain. A two hour drive with no back window…followed by vacuuming out glass from everywhere.

Looks like a couple small shotgun blasts to the side of the car as well… like all chipped up from other rocks or maybe the exploding glass,

And yes…the window exploded. I thought side windows would be shatter proof.

The sound of the glass blowing out sounded like someone firing a gun from the back seat.

Anyone deal with Volker Stevins and this sort of thing? I had to special order a new window in and it’s not getting here until Thursday.

I made phone and email contact with Volker. No insurance paperwork yet.

Also…anyone have experience with shattered glass in the car? I vacuumed it lit as best I could. Still felts a few chards then vacuumed some more. Any trick to getting glass out or should I get a professional to do a once over?

As for the paint chips… I guess an auto body shop in Calgary. Any good suggestions?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-05-2021, 07:12 PM
Banned

Very high
Old 10-05-2021, 07:14 PM
Banned

Side windows are tempered glass
Stonger until it blows up to a million pieces by design
When I worked for the city we had claims like this all the time
Glass easy to determine
Rock chips probably not so much
Old 10-05-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Glass easy to determine
Window is $578 plus tax it appear. Window completely shattered and gone.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-05-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Glass easy to determine
Yup. I’m worried about that.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:55 PM

Where were you when the event occured?
Old 10-05-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Where were you when the event occured?
Beside Sanling well 16-3-14-20-W4 on HWY 845 just north of HWY 25.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:58 PM
Banned

sue....sue....SUE! broken glass, rock chips, loud noise!. maybe you could get a million or two for ptsd.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
sue....sue....SUE! broken glass, rock chips, loud noise!. maybe you could get a million or two for ptsd.
You are hired. You must be a great lawyer.

I am going to go over the seat and carpet with tape tomorrow. See if there are any Chards left. Maybe a lint roller will work? If not I’ll just wrap duct tape around my palm.

Then I want my window repair and not to be out of pocket. Looks like about $600.

Then what to do about all the chips. Basically a quarter panel.

You seem triggered. You okay?
Old 10-05-2021, 09:10 PM
Banned

What’s the vehicle?
Old 10-05-2021, 09:16 PM
Banned

my wife had the same thing happen.....the rear side window knocked out. that was three years ago and we're still finding glass particles when we vacuum the car. pita
Old 10-05-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
What’s the vehicle?
It was a tractor pulling a grass cutter

Old 10-05-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
my wife had the same thing happen.....the rear side window knocked out. that was three years ago and we're still finding glass particles when we vacuum the car. pita
That is what has me triggered the most. Ran my hand lightly down the seat and ended up with lots of ouchies.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It was a tractor pulling a grass cutter
Your vehicle 🤦*♂️
Old 10-05-2021, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is what has me triggered the most. Ran my hand lightly down the seat and ended up with lots of ouchies.
Tempered glass.. it happens. Take it to a detailing place if your really really worried
Old 10-05-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Your vehicle 🤦*♂️
Oh. Lol. 2017 RAV4.

Lots of glass in the door for the techs to pull out.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I am going to go over the seat and carpet with tape tomorrow. See if there are any Chards left. Maybe a lint roller will work? If not I’ll just wrap duct tape around my palm.
I find packing tape works well for that sort of thing. But I don't know that you ever get it all.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Your vehicle 🤦*♂️
Quote:
Tempered glass.. it happens. Take it to a detailing place if your really really worried

Surprised it exploded. You can see the floor of the vehicle.

It reminds me of when we dropped a Corelle plate. We had a zillion little identical sized pieces all over the floor.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:26 PM
Banned

we were lucky. she has leather seats, so mostly we find it in the carpet. sure did turn into a lot of pieces though.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:39 PM

Lost a side window on my camper a few years back. Only thing I could think of was waiting to turn onto the highway I caught a rock from a passing vehicle. Then later that week I went weed whacking and it hit me my string trimmer threw a rock and I broke it myself. You are correct that glass gets everywhere and is sharp!

Good luck the worst they can say is no. I have often wondered myself while passing similar highway workers.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:11 PM

If they say this dosnt happen often ask them why they have the shield covering the back of the tractor. I would at least expect them to cover the window. They have to have insurance for this being a contracter
Old 10-05-2021, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
This
Old 10-05-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed View Post
If they say this dosnt happen often ask them why they have the shield covering the back of the tractor. I would at least expect them to cover the window. They have to have insurance for this being a contracter
The tractor operator didn’t give me any flack. The crack was so loud and we stopped so fast that the guy knew what had happened. Didn’t argue. He and I talked to the Volker guy.

I’m not one to freak out at the guy. Stuff happens. More to worry about than an accident.

My post was more just what was the odds. Bad luck is all. Now some running around and no car for 2 days until the window is fixed. Not sure though how it will all work with their insurance. Hopefully not a big hassle as that will get me riled up. 😡
Old 10-05-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
This
Anyone know a few good detailers in south Calgary?
Old 10-05-2021, 11:38 PM
Banned

The City if Edmonton would spend a boat load of money sweeping all of the rocks from winter sanding programs to reduce these

It happens
As long as no one got hurt it not a big deal
The ditches and meridians aren’t very level and you’d be surprised the things you hit and how far they go
Old 10-06-2021, 01:01 AM

Just ahd the little triangle window in hte side of my wifes forester taken out by a ditch mower. They said they will pay to replace but we will see.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:25 AM

Before replacing the window find out if they are also covering the body damage. The chips might also be little dents, requiring repair before paint. In some cases the window has to be removed for a quality repair. This may not be the case in your situation, I don't know.

Does your Toyota dealership have a body shop? Is that where you ordered the glass from? Just leave your car there and let them take care of everything. Including cleaning up the mess. Get a courtesy car.

If they aren't going to cover it, are you paying out of pocket? Or going through insurance? Comprehensive coverage should cover your damage with a small deductible. And won't affect your premiums.

And don't worry about cleaning up all of the glass. I'm sure you'll still find some a couple of years from now.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:02 AM

Thanks for all the advice folks.

Question.

Should I report this to my insurance company?

Edit. Just called them. They said hold off and only call the. If Volker is a problem.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 10-06-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:30 AM

I blew out the side window on a couple of rental cars over the years. The one was a huge rock about 6" in diameter thrown out of the duallies by a flat deck going the other way. I could see it coming but could not get over far enough, did manage to keep it from hitting the windshield. The shotgun pellet effect is 100% the broken glass going down the side of the car at speed. The cost to fix that was a LOT more than the window replacement. You have to paint the whole piece, no way to just touch it up and look right. My Visa had the waiver insurance, it covered both instances. Second time, just lost the window, no paint damage. If it were me, I would not be talking to my insurance unless I ran into issues with Volker. I would however get an estimate on the paint work as if you are over $2000 for glass and paint you must file a report at the police station and technically you need a police report to get it fixed. The report is supposed to be done within a certain time period.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I blew out the side window on a couple of rental cars over the years. The one was a huge rock about 6" in diameter thrown out of the duallies by a flat deck going the other way. I could see it coming but could not get over far enough, did manage to keep it from hitting the windshield. The shotgun pellet effect is 100% the broken glass going down the side of the car at speed. The cost to fix that was a LOT more than the window replacement. You have to paint the whole piece, no way to just touch it up and look right. My Visa had the waiver insurance, it covered both instances. Second time, just lost the window, no paint damage. If it were me, I would not be talking to my insurance unless I ran into issues with Volker. I would however get an estimate on the paint work as if you are over $2000 for glass and paint you must file a report at the police station and technically you need a police report to get it fixed. The report is supposed to be done within a certain time period.
I didn’t think about needing a police report. Since it wasn’t a vehicle accident do you still think a police report is needed?

When I read this…

https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance...n-alberta.html

I don’t think my situation qualifies?