Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2021, 08:38 PM

Self enclosed RV van. I overnight in truck pull-overs, highway stops, empty right-of-ways, 'day-use' picnic area lots, Historical Site markers, off logging roads - anywhere but private property. It helps that I'm hard-of-hearing so idling transport trucks don't bother me! As long as I'm not setting up a fire pit, awning & chairs, I don't get any problems. If people insist, I tell them I'm on all sorts of meds, get tired easily, and don't like driving on the same highway their wife and kids are on - when I'm that tired. And, it's the truth.
Or, I want to be fishing the water at dawn, and don't like driving in pre-dawn dark conditions with all the animals about. Or, I fish until dusk and will be off in the morning when it's light out.
I don't try to 'hide' the vehicle, but I do park in an out-of-the-way corner.
I've had some discussions with concerned people - usually in a rural area where they're afraid of crime - but people are generally pretty good. I've had some people knock on my window at 3 a.m. to 'check on my welfare' ! I've even been invited to park on their property and once offered dinner! Sometimes I've offered to take photos of any suspicious activity or vehicles I see!
There's a spot I like that has a wild, night-blooming lily nearby that I like to photograph in the middle of the night. I've explained that to a couple of sun burnt ranchers before! And a 250 lb old guy chasing insects with a pink butterfly net to photograph, is bound to attract some attention - but people are surprisingly lenient to let you overnight just about anywhere!