Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2020, 10:44 AM

Default Moose hunting survey

Hi everyone!
Long time reader, first time poster (almost, been way too long first my last posts). I'm a moose hunter and a programmer. I've been hunting moose for roughly a bit more than 10 years and I wanted to possibly develop an application to help out other moose hunters. I've had my share of frustrations and problems while hunting, which is why I want to help others overcome them as well. The first step is to confirm that others have the same frustrations.

In order to do so, I have composed a survey about hunting. It would really help me out if you could take a few minutes and answer it.

Many thanks to all those that participate!

Survey link: https://forms.gle/bWL8h1v4uKRD48Re9

David

PS: I've cleared the posting of this survey with AO (Paul) before posting.
Old 11-10-2020, 01:20 PM

Default survey

Sorry. Too painful.
I started the survey with good intentions, but it is chalk full of questions that I assume pertain to you and your group of buddies?
YOu make many assumptions that a group of people go every year and what works for them. What about us guys that hunt solo and only get drawn every 10 years (or more) here in the south? WMU 400 has about a 18 year priority wait right now!
Many of the techniques you question are situated around the rut. None of my zones I hunt are open at that time.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:01 PM

Same here
Old 11-10-2020, 02:51 PM

Hi guys! Great to hear from people outside of Québec. I'll confess, I don't know a whole lot how it works out West as I've only hunted in Québec. Here, as long as you have your hunter's certificat, we just buy a permit every year and can go moose hunting. Our system isn't based on coming up in a draw. I might of assumed that people go every year. Thanks for bringing it up.

I just checked the questions...you're right. Hmm, how to salvage this...Can you guys see the questions as "out of the number of years where you do go moose hunting, how many times..." kind of deal? That was the real intention. If you go 3 times in 9 years and you taged once, I would want to know you tag 1/3 of the time, not 1/9 of the time.

I'm unsure if I will be able to change/modify the questions with some answers already coming in. Google Forms might prevent me from doing so.

Also, in Québec we need 2 tags per moose, so there are no solo hunts. We might go hunting during the day on our own. But there's always a buddy that's nearby. Shooter must put his tag on the animal right away and you have until midnight that day to put the second tag on it (unless asked by a wildlife agent to put it earlier).

No specific questions related to rut though. Are you asking because some of the question are about "calling" moose in? I think the question still apply. No matter what the season, moose are very vocal animal and will communicate with each other. I agree that during the rut, it's like an opera out there though hehe.

Thanks for pointing out a couple of gotchas! Really hope you can find the time to complete the survey. It'll give me a great window into moose hunting out West.

Cheers and happy evening,

David
Old 11-10-2020, 02:55 PM

If you want to know about hunting out west for moose just ask, that's what the forms for. I'll tell you right off the bat you need to start applying for the draw in Alberta and you'd need a hunter host, are you can hire and Outfitter.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2020, 05:40 PM

14 years in the area I hunt to get a draw, I just passed 11 and hoping like hell I get drawn while I can still deal with a downed moose.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:38 AM

Hi everyone! Thanks to all those that participated to the survey, Only a few days left and I'll be compiling the results.

Any new later comers to the survey are more than welcomed!

Cheers!

David
Old 11-17-2020, 09:02 AM

I’d rather see a questionnaires put to the quebec government on why they block our pipelines
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 AM
Gone Hunting

I tried to do the survey but found too many questions demanded an answer that wasn't applicable to me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-17-2020, 02:48 PM

I couldnt accurately finish it. Sorry
Old 11-18-2020, 09:07 AM

I completed the survey, however most of the questions referred to deer hunting and had nothing to do with Alberta moose hunting.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
14 years in the area I hunt to get a draw, I just passed 11 and hoping like hell I get drawn while I can still deal with a downed moose.
I was P7 when I pulled mine. Shot the first legal bull I saw. (Antlered)
This was the only bull ,in fact , only moose we saw in 6 days of hunting, calling and walking. Prime time first week of October. I was getting nervous
Old 11-19-2020, 01:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I tried to do the survey but found too many questions demanded an answer that wasn't applicable to me.
yup....need a comment section per question to carry on with survey therefore we can explain why this question does not or can not be answered...good intentions though.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...