Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHW View Post
My '98 Ram was stolen for the 2nd time 3 mths. ago - key ignition pounded out. Found it 2 days ago (Sept15). Body damage to both rt. & left sides - donated to Kidney Foundation. "White male" thief known to police (video from "gas & dash"). Was told by an Officer that Calgary has 5 to 6 thousand vehicle thefts/yr. Unless there is someone injured, they don't look for the vehicle. And if caught & brought to court, charges usually don't stick (judicial system + defense lawyers).
Yes, It's the defense lawyers fault. It has nothing to do with the police, the prosecutor or the judge.
You do know that all lawyers do is present facts? right?
They don't and aren't allowed to make stuff up and decide who is guilty
or not.
They also have very little to do with sentencing.
Your problem lies with the people that make the laws, create sentence structure and the judges that make the decision who is guilty and how
they are punished.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:40 PM

Going threw the settlment now....intact insurance .
Truck was written off .

Very surprised what they pay out on what was added to the truck after it was bought.

Truck has half the millage it should have $100 credit
Remote Car starter installed a few years ago $30 credit
Running boards $10. credit
Trailer hitch and under the truck bars for camper. $20.00
Old 10-01-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Going threw the settlment now....intact insurance .
Truck was written off .

Very surprised what little they pay out on what was added to the truck after it was bought.

Truck has half the millage it should have $100 credit
Remote Car starter installed a few years ago $30 credit
Running boards $10. credit
Trailer hitch and under the truck bars for camper. $20.00
Fixed it for ya
Old 10-01-2017, 02:06 PM

Seeing a lot of these stolen vehicle posts lately.

Decided to call my insurance company (TD Meloche Monnex) to ask if my $3000 Leer Canopy would be covered in the event the truck gets stolen or written off.

Had to talk to the Underwriting Department, who made a "note" of it on my file. Was told as long as I notify them of accessories added to my truck (air bag suspension, remote starter, light bar etc) they would be covered.

I am still a little bit hesitant to believe them as I am distrusting of insurance companies in general.

So I would suggest that guys at least notify your insurance company of upgrades you've made to your vehicles to get clarification of your coverage.

Nothing worse than finding out you are not covered, after you need to make a claim.

My 2 cents
Old 10-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty99 View Post
Seeing a lot of these stolen vehicle posts lately.

Decided to call my insurance company (TD Meloche Monnex) to ask if my $3000 Leer Canopy would be covered in the event the truck gets stolen or written off.

Had to talk to the Underwriting Department, who made a "note" of it on my file. Was told as long as I notify them of accessories added to my truck (air bag suspension, remote starter, light bar etc) they would be covered.

I am still a little bit hesitant to believe them as I am distrusting of insurance companies in general.

So I would suggest that guys at least notify your insurance company of upgrades you've made to your vehicles to get clarification of your coverage.

Nothing worse than finding out you are not covered, after you need to make a claim.

My 2 cents
All good points ^ and worth noting, But . . .

In the event of a total loss or write-off, all you'll be covered for is the ACV (Actual Cash Value) of the accessories. And just like the OP found out, ACV on used accessories; Ain't Worth Much O' Nothin'.

Something else a person can do to document accessories for insurance purposes, is keep all receipts and take photos of the installed accessories on the vehicle. It may not be worth much in dollar value, but the more documentation and proof you have, the better.

Parting Shot ...
The Best Insurance we can have, is to do all we can
to prevent the loss from happening in the first place.
We need to 'Govern Ourselves Accordingly', but
most don't.

Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 10-01-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:20 PM

Smile Oops !!!

Double post!

Haven't done that in a looong time!

Selkirk
Old 10-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Default 10 cents on the dollar

They cover it all.......,but at 10 cent to the dollar on what I paid for the add on .
Paid over $400.for trailer hitch and belly bars for truck camper ,they giving me $30.

My truck damges were $14,000. over the worth of the truck.
Front fender,drivers door ,door post and box was all smashed in about 4 inches.
It was like they hit a wall side ways at 100 km hr.

Truck only had 160,000 km on it .
Old 10-01-2017, 03:40 PM

well.........
Old 10-01-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
All good points ^ and worth noting, But . . .

In the event of a total loss or write-off, all you'll be covered for is the ACV (Actual Cash Value) of the accessories. And just like the OP found out, ACV on used accessories; Ain't Worth Much O' Nothin'.

Something else a person can do to document accessories for insurance purposes, is keep all receipts and take photos of the installed accessories on the vehicle. It may not be worth much in dollar value, but the more documentation and proof you have, the better.

Parting Shot ...
The Best Insurance we can have, is to do all we can
to prevent the loss from happening in the first place.
We need to 'Govern Ourselves Accordingly', but
most don't.

Selkirk

Sounds like I need to make another call to TD Meloche Monnex to clarify if I my canopy will only be covered for "Actual Cash Value" or Replacement cost. Good point Selkirk.

Is it possible that different insurance companies like the OP's Intact Insurance would cover the same truck differently compared to say mine? I found major differences in available policies when shopping around for house insurance. For example Intact Insurance gave me policy limit for sewer backup and overland flooding. But TD Meloche Monnex would only provide max $50,000 for sewer back up only, would not cover for overland flooding.

Anyway I suppose the answer is yes. Different companies will have different policies and coverage for vehicle. I will report what I find out once I clarify with mine.

Last edited by rusty99; 10-01-2017 at 05:07 PM.