Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 PM
jrs

Default Re: Hunters that claim to be so called "metis"...

"Not sure about the poached rams but there were a couple other rams registered in Medicine Hat by these so called subsistence hunters and that is a fact. Seems a long ways to drive to get some subsistence meat."

There were rams shot by Metis from Medicine Hat in WMU 400. I'm still against this but they were seperate from the poached sheep where just the capes and heads were removed (nothing removed from ewes). Sounded to me like a fair number of sheep perished collectively this year, between metis harvest, subsistance harvest, poaching, and natural mortality.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Rob Miskosky

In the two + years since the IMHA was brought into effect, the compulsory registration records maintained by Fish and Wildlife shows that 29 sheep, 1 grizzly bear, 2 cougars and 2 goats were registered by Metis hunters. There are no figures regarding moose, deer, elk or other creatures.

These figures were gathered by Jim Struthers (retired former head of enforcement) and reported on in the March issue of Alberta Outdoorsmen.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 PM
gunslinger

wow i woudl love to see what the count was before the last two years as far as the numbers compulsory registered were and the differeence
Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Jamie Hunt

Gun, they couldn’t keep any sort of records. There was no deal 2 years ago. All these animals would have been taken under regular rules and tags. Its very unfortunate about the goats. There are so few tags available anyhow.
I hope the new deal will address these types of issues.
There should be
No Sheep Hunting
No Goat hunting
NO GB hunting
No Cougar Hunting

Only antlerless hunting of Moose, Elk, Deer around established
settlements. Perhaps if the need to hunt (from a traditional standpoint) is wanted so badly Métis Card holders could receive free antlerless tags in under subscribed areas that are in need of some reductions.

Jamie
Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 PM
prairieboy

The Powley case did not allow Metis to have special hunting rights in the entire province.It limited them to specified land around Metis settlements.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Sporty

Hey Tuc!

Been very busy lately as I'm co-venturing a small business with a friend, don't have time to spend in front of the PC or other recreation as much as I'd like to.

I don't disagree that there have been abuses to this agreement, IMO this agreement in itself was an abuse and should never have been allowed to begin with, that being said I'm not so quick to believe the first thing I hear because of it. There has been many accusations that have been unfounded and I've spoken to many life long Metis that disagreed with the IMHA right from the start. I've also spoken to many people that had no idea what Metis was prior to this agreement that were suddenly interested in getting thier cards so it comes down to a person's intergrity and character regardless of race.

My hopes with the new agreement is that those that are truly in need of subsistance provide proof and they are issued a tag to hunt during regular hunting seasons, maybe 2 depending on who they are hunting for and sharing with (large family or elders). I think it will be impossible to regulate anything else such as hunting around Metis settlements. Settlements are a touchy issue as not all Metis can move into or hunt on a Metis settlement, most settlements are strict on who can live there and are largely occupied by long time families that keep it in the family so to speak. That being said we all know the Gov't and political powers don't like to do things the easy way so they'll be coming up with some long winded agreement which will be hard to regulate and that will be open to interpretation.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Tucumseh

Bump
Old 04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Tucumseh

Sporty,
I respect your opinion and reasoning. I know you have always objected the agreement.

G'luck with your business venture. What type of business are you starting if you don't mind me asking. Feel free to PM me if you rather not say on the board.
All the best....
Old 04-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Duffy4

Thanks Rob (and Struthers) for some concrete numbers from the mandatory registration. This kind of data is far better than "I heard somewhere that..." kind of rumors.

I don't think any resonable politician can ignore the fact that hunters taking these trophy animals are not doing so to feed themselves and family.

I fear that Alberta hunters may be moving "the line in the sand" from "we don't agree with a special group getting special hunting rights" to "I think they should only be allowed to harvest moose,elk and deer".

I have nothing against someone who is poor and in need of meat, harvesting an animal out of "regular season" and without a "regular hunting licence" but a poor White, Asian, or African should have as much right to do so as a poor Mix/breed (Metis) or Indian.

Robin
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 PM
walleyes

Very well put Duffy,, I don't think there is anyone on this board that has a difficulty with subsidence hunting, if it is needed and properly recorded, and not just because of race.. If food is needed anyone should be able to approach the proper authorities and get a permit to feed themselves and or family regardless of time of year,, again I say IF NEEDED.. It is the reason these animals exist,, it is to feed us...
Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 PM
metis poacher ????

Default metis poacher ????

Hey Tuk metis poacher is an oxymoron. Its either a white poacher or a metis substinance harvester
Old 04-11-2007, 02:54 AM
brownbomber

Default oxymorons

wallslammer
the bookful blockhead ignorantly read, with loads of learned lumber in his head
that's a oxymoron too. since the english lit class seems to be in session, try juxtaposition next.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:04 PM
kanonfodder

Default Re: oxymorons

:rollin :rollin oooh nice BB word of the day toiletpaper makes a great gift......
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 PM
oxymoron

Default oxymoron

Wikipedia-Oxymoron is figure of speech that combines two normally contradictory terms
Wikipedia-Juxtapositionis a logical fallacy on the part of the observer, where two items placed next to each other imply a correlation when none is actually claimed.
Good Grief!! Brown Bomber it looks like its almost exactly the same difference, I guess we can agree to disagree.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 AM
brownbomber

Default clarity

sorry for any confusion. i was asking you to give us a example of juxtaposition. i realize what a oxymoron is. sorry for any confusion. and kanonfodder, sorry but it wasn't from word of the day toiletpaper. i think it was grade ten english for the qoute from alexander pope, or it could be oxford dictionary of qoutes i think he's in there over 200 times. anyway hope the imha changes no male animals would go a long way to making things right again.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Nikanit

Default Re: clarity

How about them canucks....(just trying to lighten things up guys)