Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2021, 07:11 PM

Default So what’s the odds of getting a rock throw a side winder by a Volker Stevins ditch tractor mower?

Ummm.

For me 100%

What a pain. A two hour drive with no back window…followed by vacuuming out glass from everywhere.

Looks like a couple small shotgun blasts to the side of the car as well… like all chipped up from other rocks or maybe the exploding glass,

And yes…the window exploded. I thought side windows would be shatter proof.

The sound of the glass blowing out sounded like someone firing a gun from the back seat.

Anyone deal with Volker Stevins and this sort of thing? I had to special order a new window in and it’s not getting here until Thursday.

I made phone and email contact with Volker. No insurance paperwork yet.

Also…anyone have experience with shattered glass in the car? I vacuumed it lit as best I could. Still felts a few chards then vacuumed some more. Any trick to getting glass out or should I get a professional to do a once over?

As for the paint chips… I guess an auto body shop in Calgary. Any good suggestions?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-05-2021, 07:12 PM
Banned

Very high
Old 10-05-2021, 07:14 PM
Banned

Side windows are tempered glass
Stonger until it blows up to a million pieces by design
When I worked for the city we had claims like this all the time
Glass easy to determine
Rock chips probably not so much
Old 10-05-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Glass easy to determine
Window is $578 plus tax it appear. Window completely shattered and gone.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-05-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Glass easy to determine
Yup. I’m worried about that.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:55 PM

Where were you when the event occured?
Old 10-05-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Where were you when the event occured?
Beside Sanling well 16-3-14-20-W4 on HWY 845 just north of HWY 25.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:01 AM

Just ahd the little triangle window in hte side of my wifes forester taken out by a ditch mower. They said they will pay to replace but we will see.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:25 AM

Before replacing the window find out if they are also covering the body damage. The chips might also be little dents, requiring repair before paint. In some cases the window has to be removed for a quality repair. This may not be the case in your situation, I don't know.

Does your Toyota dealership have a body shop? Is that where you ordered the glass from? Just leave your car there and let them take care of everything. Including cleaning up the mess. Get a courtesy car.

If they aren't going to cover it, are you paying out of pocket? Or going through insurance? Comprehensive coverage should cover your damage with a small deductible. And won't affect your premiums.

And don't worry about cleaning up all of the glass. I'm sure you'll still find some a couple of years from now.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:02 AM

Thanks for all the advice folks.

Question.

Should I report this to my insurance company?

Edit. Just called them. They said hold off and only call the. If Volker is a problem.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 10-06-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:30 AM

I blew out the side window on a couple of rental cars over the years. The one was a huge rock about 6" in diameter thrown out of the duallies by a flat deck going the other way. I could see it coming but could not get over far enough, did manage to keep it from hitting the windshield. The shotgun pellet effect is 100% the broken glass going down the side of the car at speed. The cost to fix that was a LOT more than the window replacement. You have to paint the whole piece, no way to just touch it up and look right. My Visa had the waiver insurance, it covered both instances. Second time, just lost the window, no paint damage. If it were me, I would not be talking to my insurance unless I ran into issues with Volker. I would however get an estimate on the paint work as if you are over $2000 for glass and paint you must file a report at the police station and technically you need a police report to get it fixed. The report is supposed to be done within a certain time period.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I blew out the side window on a couple of rental cars over the years. The one was a huge rock about 6" in diameter thrown out of the duallies by a flat deck going the other way. I could see it coming but could not get over far enough, did manage to keep it from hitting the windshield. The shotgun pellet effect is 100% the broken glass going down the side of the car at speed. The cost to fix that was a LOT more than the window replacement. You have to paint the whole piece, no way to just touch it up and look right. My Visa had the waiver insurance, it covered both instances. Second time, just lost the window, no paint damage. If it were me, I would not be talking to my insurance unless I ran into issues with Volker. I would however get an estimate on the paint work as if you are over $2000 for glass and paint you must file a report at the police station and technically you need a police report to get it fixed. The report is supposed to be done within a certain time period.
I didn’t think about needing a police report. Since it wasn’t a vehicle accident do you still think a police report is needed?

When I read this…

https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance...n-alberta.html

I don’t think my situation qualifies?
Old 10-13-2021, 10:18 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Update. Getting two quotes to fix paint chips. Volker so far seems reasonable to deal with.

Auto body shop had the repair come in over $2000. Said I don’t need a police report as it was not an accident…it was property damage by rocks.

Learning lots.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I blew out the side window on a couple of rental cars over the years. The one was a huge rock about 6" in diameter thrown out of the duallies by a flat deck going the other way. I could see it coming but could not get over far enough, did manage to keep it from hitting the windshield.
A woman was killed near here a few years ago by a big rock tossed out of the wheels of a logging truck. Went through the windshield and smashed her head. She was passenger, husband driving, kids in the back. They all must have PTSD.

FWIW, logging truck drivers are supposed to check all wheels before going on the highway.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Had this happen once and was told to get all repaired, cleaned etc and the company paid all the bills.
I told the glass company and company doing the cleaning and they direct billed the company responsible for the damage done.
Only pain was waiting for the glass replacement which took a few days to get in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Had this happen once and was told to get all repaired, cleaned etc and the company paid all the bills.
I told the glass company and company doing the cleaning and they direct billed the company responsible for the damage done.
Only pain was waiting for the glass replacement which took a few days to get in.

Did you need a police report?
Old 10-06-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Beside Sanling well 16-3-14-20-W4 on HWY 845 just north of HWY 25.

From the first pic the angle he is on I can see how a good size rock could come shooting out from under the side. He might have still been able to lower that side a bit more (if paying attention to contour). From the second pic the mower just sitting there I see the shield on the back of tractor and drop down chains on back bottom of mower. I'm thinking there should have been some chain on the side parts or at least some rubber to stop the projectiles. Just something else to maybe consider if they argue a point. Had that happen many years ago. Thought someone shot out the window.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
From the first pic the angle he is on I can see how a good size rock could come shooting out from under the side. He might have still been able to lower that side a bit more (if paying attention to contour). From the second pic the mower just sitting there I see the shield on the back of tractor and drop down chains on back bottom of mower. I'm thinking there should have been some chain on the side parts or at least some rubber to stop the projectiles. Just something else to maybe consider if they argue a point. Had that happen many years ago. Thought someone shot out the window.
I pointed out to them that they could fix their process a little and further eliminate this happening.

You saw the same as I.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Did you need a police report?

No, I went to the company who’s grass cutter chucked the rock through my side window and they said they will cover all cost so I went about getting the window repaired etc and just gave them the name, contact of the company which they verified and that was it.
The only part I did was make a few calls and show up which was a bit of a pain but could have been worse.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...