Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2021, 01:25 PM

Default Has this happened to you before?

I'm just 68 yrs old and not totally out of the game yet I think, but about a week ago I decided to break out my old rototiller and work up the gardens, my old tiller is a beast but I got it done..The next morning however when I got out of bed I could hardly walk and my left shoulder felt like it was dislocated and my right shoulder wasn't much better,I decided to take some ibuprofen 200 mgs, and see what happens, the next day my right shoulder was much better but the left was not easy to move and with excruciating pain.My legs at this point were not great, I could walk but very slowly, I decided that I needed to exercise them so I went for a walk about a mile at the end I was tired ,that night was the worst ,I thought that I wouldn't walk again without a cane or crutches I took ibuprofen again twice during the night and the next day I felt much better and got up and made breakfast and hobbled around although slowly..Today I'm feeling better but I still have trouble sitting and getting up again, I almost plop down in a chair and struggle to stand again.I hope this passes soon I would like some normalcy again. Maybe I should be taking some kind of vitamin I'm not sure as there are so many products tho choose from. One thing is for sure ,,no more rototilling for me. If something like this has happened to you I would like to know about your experience or if someone has any helpful information I would appreciate your imput,thanks and take care ,,David.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:34 PM

Getting old really really sucks.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:46 PM

Sounds like you may of just over-done it for a day? Rest, relax, and take er easy next time. I am not quite your age but as I enter mid aged burnout I find it easier to wreck myself physically. Stuff like raking leaves, shoveling snow, or a intense workout seems to hit me harder than my 20's. The day after I hop out of bed a feel like an old man as I shuffle across the floor.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:50 PM

When anything like that happens to me >> I leave it alone..take hot bath, relax, let the body
do it's healing thing, etc.

I tried all the 'stretch it out, work it, exercise it' stuff, results were always worse off after. Just leave
it alone for 2-4 days, take vit c, calcium, fish oil things and see where you are at then is my recommend.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:14 PM

^^^ This.
Vitamin C or fresh fruit, Calcium or milk, some Vitamin D.
And lots of water. I know if I am not getting enough water my joints start to seize up. That's the first sign and it's downhill from there if I don't address it.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:26 PM
Banned

You’re normal.
Just hit 67.
I’ve got the mind and ambition of a 30 year old...the body however just won’t cooperate 😂
Old 05-02-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
Getting old really really sucks.
but it still beats hell outta the alternative
Old 05-02-2021, 01:35 PM

Stretch it out. I attribute most of my discomforts to a lack of stretching.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:50 PM

NBR--Normal Body Rot. Bucked up a few logs last week, don't remember the saw weighing that much and was reaching for the ibuprofen with a rum chaser and a hot shower but for the most part no broken body parts. I find pacing myself works, as it all doesn't have to be done in a day.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:40 PM

Hey Fish along, it seems to me your joints are going. It sneaks up on ya without warning.

I'm 69, and I need both a knee and hip replacement. Double whammy.
They both happened suddenly outta the proverbial clear blue within a month of each other, last September.

Get to your doctor NOW and explain what's going on so he can refer you to the Hip and Knee Clinic right away - or whatever clinic is appropriate.

The wait-time is currently "forever minus a day" and I'm still waiting for my replacement surgery. I got an "acknowledgement" from 'em, but nothing else.

In the meantime take whatever pain killers your doctor gives you, although I found 4 aspirins a day and glucosamine work best. I'm currently on crutches and a walker.

BTW, those "injections" don't work for me, but they might for you.

Good Luck!
Old 10-17-2021, 10:22 AM

I'm bumping this for the sake of Fish along and landowner.

I thought my hip and knee were both cr#pping out, but it turned out to be just my hip.
The surgeon told me that the only problem with my knee is mild arthritis, normal for my age. He said everyone with a hip problem is "fooled" because the nerve impulses travel to the thigh, then to the knee which make the knee feel painful.
They also travel sideways and make the back feel painful.

Anyway I had my hip replacement Oct 3rd. The surgeon took another look at my x-rays and decided that my case is an "emergency" because the ball and socket were almost non-existent.
Without surgery I stood a good chance of becoming permanently crippled, so he went ahead.

The pain was horrendous afterwards, but "different" somehow. There's no such thing as "good pain" but it seemed to indicate healing. That's the only way I can explain it. Sorry.

The pain has been easing, even if I miss a pain-killer dose, and I'm almost walking with a cane although I usually still use a walker. Looks like its healing well. I have an appointment with the clinic for more x-rays and I think I'll get good news. I hope to be walking normally in a few weeks.

The bottom line is get it done because its probably the smartest move you can make.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ee+replacement

Old 10-18-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
I'm bumping this for the sake of Fish along and landowner.

I thought my hip and knee were both cr#pping out, but it turned out to be just my hip.
The surgeon told me that the only problem with my knee is mild arthritis, normal for my age. He said everyone with a hip problem is "fooled" because the nerve impulses travel to the thigh, then to the knee which make the knee feel painful.
They also travel sideways and make the back feel painful.

Anyway I had my hip replacement Oct 3rd. The surgeon took another look at my x-rays and decided that my case is an "emergency" because the ball and socket were almost non-existent.
Without surgery I stood a good chance of becoming permanently crippled, so he went ahead.

The pain was horrendous afterwards, but "different" somehow. There's no such thing as "good pain" but it seemed to indicate healing. That's the only way I can explain it. Sorry.

The pain has been easing, even if I miss a pain-killer dose, and I'm almost walking with a cane although I usually still use a walker. Looks like its healing well. I have an appointment with the clinic for more x-rays and I think I'll get good news. I hope to be walking normally in a few weeks.

The bottom line is get it done because its probably the smartest move you can make.

Im glad to hear that your surgery was successful although much pain. i have a friend who recently had a hip replacement and loads of pain afterwards as well but hes doing better every day. All the best to you sir.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.