Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-10-2020, 12:26 AM

Default Ruger compact in 243..

Hey Fellas,
Toying with idea of compact bolt gun and saw this https://ruger.com/products/HawkeyeLa...ets/17108.html
They also make a compact “Ranch” bolt gun with detachable magazine but it doesn’t come in .243. Think its 5.56 and 7.62x39, 350 and 450... want something to toss on the UTV, in the truck, that’s quick handling, accurate for predators, deer.
Thoughts?
Old 07-10-2020, 04:58 AM

I’m not sure what the velocity would be for a 243 out of a 16.5” barrel, but I suspect extremely lack lustre. I hope some one that has one can pipe in. The shortest I’ve gone with 243 is 18”. If I remember correctly the fastest I could get it (with H4350) before pressure signs was 2900fps. I think the accuracy load for that rifle was around 2800fps, or right under 2900, I can’t remember right now but I’ll check my notes.

For the use you are describing I would perhaps suggest one of these:
https://ruger.com/products/americanR...eets/6908.html
Half the price (so you don’t have to feel bad if something happens), still pretty compact and with the 18” barrel you should get a little more velocity. The Americans have a good rep for accuracy.

If you are really wanting a 16.5” barrel, I would suggest going with 308 as it’s velocity is less negatively affected by barrel length.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:27 AM

Notes checked:
Federal poweshok 100 grain, average 2800ish fps
Winchester super x 100 grain, average 2840ish fps
Handloads, Hornady 100 grain interlock, h4350, (accuracy load was 38.6 grains, pressure at 39 grains, federal cases) average 2880fps
All from a 18” barrel.

To be fair I don’t know if I shot this one enough to break in the barrel? It might have picked up a little more speed with more firings, it might not have either.

It was slow for 243 standards but it was darned accurate.

If velocity and muzzle blast are irrelevant to you, the Hawkeye is more compact and a much nicer rifle. I’d say the only plus for the American is the detachable magazine, as carrying a loaded firearm in a utv / truck is a no no.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:30 PM
Banned

ruger american ranch rifle in 6.5 grendel would be a good choice, not sure if it has the compact (short lop) stock option for this chambering, but i have this rifle and the whole thing with adult length lop is 36" long, big game legal, modern equivalent to a .243, will handle all your big game needs to 300 easily, holds 1800 fps impact velocity to 450 yards, 123 gr bullet, .252 sd and .5 bc, very efficient use of 29.6 grains of powder, about a 0-240 yard pbr
Old 07-13-2020, 06:03 PM

I own an American compact in 7mm-08. Its the most accurate rifle I own.
I would have a look at one and also think 7mm-08 would be a better choice
Old 07-14-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
ruger american ranch rifle in 6.5 grendel would be a good choice, not sure if it has the compact (short lop) stock option for this chambering, but i have this rifle and the whole thing with adult length lop is 36" long, big game legal, modern equivalent to a .243, will handle all your big game needs to 300 easily, holds 1800 fps impact velocity to 450 yards, 123 gr bullet, .252 sd and .5 bc, very efficient use of 29.6 grains of powder, about a 0-240 yard pbr
Sorry. It would be silly to buy that gun unless one reloads. Ammo choice would be close to nil for such an uncommon cartridge. No good reason to buy that particular round.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2020, 12:10 PM
Banned

Factory Ammo Availability for 6.5 Grendel:

Hornady (4 types), eld-m/sst/american gunner/frontier
Federal (4 types) gold medal match/fusion/american eagle
Nosler (4) trophy grade(2)/ballistic tip/varmageddon
Remington (2)
Barnes (1)

that's for the main players, is there a gold medal match load for .243's
above you've got quite a range of hunting/match/varmint loads, accubonds/ttsx etc.

then there's quite a few other players

Alexander Arms has a bunch of different loads, lots with nosler bullets
Underwood
Wolf
HSM
Privi Partizan

There's lots of economy bulk 200-500 round bucket options in the above also.

I haven't found it hard to talk to local suppliers i buy from and order up some cases of normal brand stuff. I realize it's not going to be super common north of the border here but i can find it on the shelf in Calgary.

Now...the OP didn't specify 'factory ammo availability off the shelf in canada' in his ask either. My response was perfectly tailored to his original ask. Just sayin...
Old 07-14-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Factory Ammo Availability for 6.5 Grendel:

Hornady (4 types), eld-m/sst/american gunner/frontier
Federal (4 types) gold medal match/fusion/american eagle
Nosler (4) trophy grade(2)/ballistic tip/varmageddon
Remington (2)
Barnes (1)

that's for the main players, is there a gold medal match load for .243's
above you've got quite a range of hunting/match/varmint loads, accubonds/ttsx etc.

then there's quite a few other players

Alexander Arms has a bunch of different loads, lots with nosler bullets
Underwood
Wolf
HSM
Privi Partizan

There's lots of economy bulk 200-500 round bucket options in the above also.

I haven't found it hard to talk to local suppliers i buy from and order up some cases of normal brand stuff. I realize it's not going to be super common north of the border here but i can find it on the shelf in Calgary.

Now...the OP didn't specify 'factory ammo availability off the shelf in canada' in his ask either. My response was perfectly tailored to his original ask. Just sayin...
I really expected the Grendel to take off, and really giv'er in the AR rifles. Seemed like the way to go over the 6.8 SPC. Which I also don't hear much about these days, but it was theoretically thought to have better terminal performance, but I don't know about that; at least on paper, the Grendel looked like the better performer to me.

Be a nice choice for a ranch gun.

I was surprised again that the Creedmore did so well. Not that it isn't a really nice cartridge, but there was already a couple nice .264 cartridges around that speed.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!

Last edited by Tactical Lever; 07-14-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I really expected the Grendel to take off, and really giv'er in the AR rifles. Seemed like the way to go over the 6.8 SPC. Which I also don't hear much about these days, but it was theoretically thought to have better terminal performance, but I don't know about that; at least on paper, the Grendel looked like the better performer to me.

Be a nice choice for a ranch gun.

I was surprised again that the Creedmore did so well. Not that it isn't a really nice cartridge, but there was already a couple nice .264 cartridges around that speed.
The Grendel is very popular south of the border, it's becoming more so up here, ask Clay at Prophet River how many he's flipped, i bet he couldn't tell you. He's been bringing in howa/cz/ruger Grendels for awhile and they don't stick around too long.

Anytime a .243 thread comes up, chances are pretty good i'll bring up the Grendel as a consideration. Here's why.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=344204
Old 07-14-2020, 02:25 PM

For predator/deer. I like the 243 , it doesnt get much love though. That Rugers almost too nice for a beat around rifle, but the quality looks much better than a H&R or similar.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
The Grendel is very popular south of the border, it's becoming more so up here, ask Clay at Prophet River how many he's flipped, i bet he couldn't tell you. He's been bringing in howa/cz/ruger Grendels for awhile and they don't stick around too long.

Anytime a .243 thread comes up, chances are pretty good i'll bring up the Grendel as a consideration. Here's why.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=344204
I don't need much selling on the Grendel. Though, I probably wouldn't have one unless it was in an AR. I am a big fan of the 6.5x55 though.

Never really wanted a .243 until not too long ago, either. I really wanted a 22-250, though. But doing a comparison with varmint bullets in both, and considering game laws, and component prices sold me on the .243. Same sort of deal comparing it with the 6.5 bullets. The .243 is the medium long range critter killer that the 22-250 wishes it could be.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-16-2020, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the insights and links fellas. What bent my eye was the compact size in the Hawkeye and it’s a visually nice looking package in SS & laminate stock. As I have a B78 high-wall in 243 that I load for, would be fairly easy to load and shoot Ruger. Not so keen on banging the high wall about as it’s kind of a pet. 260, 6.5x55, 7-08 are all excellent rounds as I have a M70 in .270 don’t really need extra HP. Will look closer at the Grendel.. thanks again.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:08 AM

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye compact stainless laminate in 7mm-08. Its a great little rifle and I’ve shot a bunch of deer and one bull moose with it. Zero issues and the only downside in my mind is the lack of a detachable mag, although once you leave the truck it’s a moot point...

Old 07-17-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye compact stainless laminate in 7mm-08. Its a great little rifle and I’ve shot a bunch of deer and one bull moose with it. Zero issues and the only downside in my mind is the lack of a detachable mag, although once you leave the truck it’s a moot point...

That’s a sharp looking rifle you have there.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post

Yes that’s a beauty.... detachable mag is not a big deal to me either way.
Thanks for posting image really nice looking rig for sure.
j
Old 07-17-2020, 08:23 PM

I have a Remington 783 compact chambered in .243. It has a 20-inch barrel and 12 3/4 inch length of pull so its handy.
The length of pull is a bit short for me but not it's to bad when you have a winter jacket on.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:48 PM

I bought one in the .260 Rem chambering and it is the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned. It is my go-to deer rig and packs around like a hunting rifle should although it is a little heavier than expected.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:54 AM
Banned

So i was talking to Clay at Prophet River recently and queried him on how many Grendels he thought he's sold between the ruger/cz/howa's and he said on the CZ's '100 or so' and Howa's '50 or so' and rugers '25 or so'.

So for being where we are regionally (north of the border), and considering Alberta's reluctance to accept new things lol..i'd say that's pretty good. Likely a couple hundred from just one dealer here. I'd wager the count in Canada has made it into the 1000's based on that info.

It's hard to keep a good cartridge down.

Slowly but surely it will keep gaining traction. Hopefully some of the more mainstream rifle manufacturers start chambering it, anyone that chambers a .204 or .223 should definitely be adding it to the list, and hit the 6 ARC while they're at it. What's that line from the old movie...'build it and they will come'.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:04 AM

If there were more bolt options for the grendel, Id take one over a .243 as a deer gun for youth but there isnt...

Most shooters will not wear out a barrel or have the accuracy to even know its worn out.

Most don't shoot over 100 yards either.

I think the .243 is a great choice in a compact package but barrel is a little short considering its case capacity so a little loss in efficiency but that doesnt matter much to anyone.

Ive shot a .25-06 with a 20" barrel and the bullets still fly out the end.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk