Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-30-2020, 06:52 PM

Default Help me choose...optic

I have a Savage 10TR in .308. With Hornady Black (Amax) 168gr ammo, sub-moa is routine. I have thought of upgrading my optic, just a small upgrade that is, for a while now.
I presently have a Hawke on it but bumped into quite the deal on a Cabela's scope today. I bought it. I am having an impossible time deciding which to use on my Savage. The Covenant is brighter but the resolution is hardly better. The Hawke is highly underrated in North America and is a great entry scope-for the price or otherwise. What is your favourite feature that may sway and simplify the decision?
..and no, I am not going to buy a 'better' optic. These are what I have:

Hawke Optics Eclipse 30mm tube Side Focus 6-24x50 Illum reticle 2nd focal

Cabela's Covenant 7 34mm tube Side Focus 5-35x56 1st focal
Old 07-01-2020, 12:20 AM

Not to be rude but it is a bit like picking which Turd is shinier or smells less. I have no advice except to buy a lower cost Burris, which will be no more money, may even be less, and is it at least a 5 times better scope than either of those.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:49 AM

It’s unfortunate you already received one reply saying exactly what you asked not to hear... some people just can’t click the back button and get on with their lives... anyways to answer your question...

I personally don’t have experience with either of these scopes. In a nutshell, I would be putting the “more appropriate” reticle choice on the rifle for what you you intend to shoot. If you’re working long range (600-1000m) then I’d suggest the first focal plane with higher magnification. Under 600m I think you’d have way too much scope with the higher magnification, although they are both plenty of scope for under 600m.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:21 AM

I much prefer ffp scopes myself for shooting at distance.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the advice on the scope dean. You didn't like your hawke? I surely hope you have had one....

Deadeye and wally, thank you. I am working on getting to 600 for sure. 300 is my max on the range right now. Would love to try 1k but would need a higher moa rail than my stock one anyway.

‘Overscope’ is ok with me, obviously lol. I think i have a 22 around here for the loser of this one! I mostly shoot from the bench and sometimes mess around with friends. No hunting or competitions but the latter may be tried.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
It’s unfortunate you already received one reply saying exactly what you asked not to hear... some people just can’t click the back button and get on with their lives... anyways to answer your question...

I personally don’t have experience with either of these scopes. In a nutshell, I would be putting the “more appropriate” reticle choice on the rifle for what you you intend to shoot. If you’re working long range (600-1000m) then I’d suggest the first focal plane with higher magnification. Under 600m I think you’d have way too much scope with the higher magnification, although they are both plenty of scope for under 600m.
I was actually trying to be helpful. The Covenant scope he bought is $650 regular price, don't know how good a deal he got but overall not a low priced scope. Take a look through one on the higher powers, resolution and clarity is pretty bad, they move POI when you change power settings, the clicks on the turrets are mushy and have a fair amount of play. These are not a quality scope, despite the price. They are Chinese junk that I would never put on a gun I need to rely on. Cabela's will take the scope back, they took back the 3x21 I tried on a 17H, if he hasn't had it too long. With the money he spent for it he can buy a 4.5x14 Burris Fullfield. They are currently $580 at Cabela's. The Leupold VX3I is $699 at Cabelas. They are both a far better scope in terms of optical clarity, quality and toughness for a hunting rifle. I did not say spend more, I said you can get FAR better scopes for the same money he already spent.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:24 AM
Banned

In truth I’d stay with Hawke.
I have the Sidewinder https://us.hawkeoptics.com/sidewinde...flescopes.html on a heavy barrel .222REM that will shot 1” at 200m.
It performs the box test perfectly....meaning I can zero at 100 m, dial out to 200 or 300m and when I reset to 100m it’s bang on.
There are a lot of reviews like this http://www.varminter.com/hawke-sidew...-scope-review/ and in Europe the Hawke line is very popular.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:29 AM

Default Scope

Dean, i got the scope for 45% off. No, i do not think you can get a better deal. You did not know what i spent, so being presumptive does not help. They are what i have, and i am happy with them. My mom can beat up your mom, nananapoopoo.

My hawke has been great, but no, i did not get a chance to compare them. I honestly was caught up in the deal. This may just be one of those situations that can only be resolved by the purchase of a new rifle. Science!
Old 07-01-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
Dean, i got the scope for 45% off. No, i do not think you can get a better deal. You did not know what i spent, so being presumptive does not help. They are what i have, and i am happy with them. My mom can beat up your mom, nananapoopoo.

My hawke has been great, but no, i did not get a chance to compare them. I honestly was caught up in the deal. This may just be one of those situations that can only be resolved by the purchase of a new rifle. Science!
I am not trying to offend you and if you don't want to take my advice, fine, you didn't pay anything for it anyhow. I already said I have no idea how good a deal you got but even at 45% off you are into it for about $350. The one I had would not track properly, the clarity was poor at higher powers, especially as the light got lower, and the POI moved as you changed magnification. What I was trying to do was give you a heads up based on my experience with that series of scope, what to check and potentially be able to take it back for a refund before it is too late. Even for free that is NOT a good scope. Do whatever you like, keep it past the refundable period if you want to and I really hope yours works out better than the one I tried.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am not trying to offend you and if you don't want to take my advice, fine, you didn't pay anything for it anyhow. I already said I have no idea how good a deal you got but even at 45% off you are into it for about $350. The one I had would not track properly, the clarity was poor at higher powers, especially as the light got lower, and the POI moved as you changed magnification. What I was trying to do was give you a heads up based on my experience with that series of scope, what to check and potentially be able to take it back for a refund before it is too late. Even for free that is NOT a good scope. Do whatever you like, keep it past the refundable period if you want to and I really hope yours works out better than the one I tried.
You should try a Hawke Dean, they are well respected and a good scope for the price. On the other hand I have seen a lot of bad reviews of the Cabela’s house brand optics.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:05 PM

Default My Cabela’s covenant story...

Hope your covenant scope works better then mine. Bought one, put it on a 308, worst groups I ever had with any of my reloads. Then it went so blurry after a houndred or so rounds I returned it for exchange. Now this new one isn’t giving me great groups either.
I have it on a weatherby vanguard S2, all my other weatherbys never had an issue like this but they don’t have Cabela’s scopes either. Actually I never had such shi##y groups on any of my other rifles.
Looks like I’m going to have to try another scope to see if it really is the scope. Great reticle and turrets though.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:27 PM

Default scope

There are definitely some Covenant horror stories out there. I have to believe that their warranty and reputation back up their product-at least most of the time! The Covenant 7 is their newest model and I am hoping that it pans out. This could be a life lesson, could be an awesome deal. My rings are on the way and I hope to have some time on the trigger in 2 weeks. It should be interesting for sure.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:15 PM

Default Covenant

Well i found some 34mm rings and threw the covenant on. I hope to get out in the next few days. This may turn into a covenant review. The hawke will end up on a new 223.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:04 PM

I know you didn’t ask for this but... in the future, You should check out the Riton Optics offerings, Tundra Supply and a few other local Alberta places are carrying them. Really good glass for the price, I put them well above Vortex and they have an even better warranty if you ever have to use it.

LC
Old 07-09-2020, 05:49 PM

Default Well

Never heard of them. Happy to look when next in need.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:50 AM

Where are you buying the Hawke scopes
Old 07-13-2020, 05:01 PM

Go with the hawke the cabelas house brand has a reputation to fall apart or fail internally.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:36 AM

Default Scope

My hawke came from wolverine in red deer or north pro in saskatoon. I cannot remember, but they are both still stocking them to my knowledge.

Ordered a 24” remington 783 heavy barrel in 223 for my hawke. Cannot wait....