Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-11-2020, 08:57 PM

Default Case trimmer and neck turning tool suggestions

Well, I could spend endless hours reading multiple forums trying to get some info, or I could ask the good folks of AOF to share the complete info likely within a few posts.
I’m currently running the hornady case trimmer. It appears that in order to turn the necks I’d need a completely new tool instead of an attachment. Was looking at getting the Forster and get the combo to replace the Hornady. Won’t spend the big bucks for the fancy stuff.
What do you all figure is the route to go? Just add the Hornady? Get a different complete set?

Thanks in advance for the insight of pros and cons of different systems.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:08 PM

I run the rcbs case trimmer and neck Turner. Hated switching back and forth so I got another trimmer to have the neck Turner installed full time. Use separate tools for each job is my vote. Keep your trimmer add a neck Turner.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:04 PM

I use a Forster Hand Neck Turn tool. Does what I need done.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:37 PM
Banned

I have the franklin arsenal case prep station and the hornady neck turning unit
Old 07-12-2020, 06:16 AM

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...ots-3-collets/

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...ols/case-neck/

There are no absolutes
Old 07-12-2020, 07:23 AM
Shooting Xs

When you mention neck turning,are you wanting to just skim turn the necks for consistency in wall thickness or turn for a tight neck chamber?
Are you using bushing,button or collet type(like Lee) sizing dies?
With bushing dies it's recommended,button/collet type dies I'm not sure you'll see much improvement for the money spent.
Quality brand Brass like Lapua,Alpha,Peterson have good enough neck wall consistency out of the box for the average shooter.

Having said that,my buddy says his Hornady turner works fairly well for him,for a stand/base type turner.Forster,PMA or Sinclair hand held's are good.
Anybody use a Mandrel die for neck expansion before neck turning?
Old 07-12-2020, 09:07 AM

For general calibers and standard chambers I use a Forester. When I shot SR benchrest I used K&M Mandrel dies and K&M hand neck turner for tight neck chambers in 22 PPC, 6PPC and 6BR. Never could get my hands on one of Don Nielsons Pumpkin's, he quit making them years ago.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:09 AM

Buy good brass. Problem solved.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-12-2020, 09:20 AM

Obsessed1, now that reasoning right there of not needing to change things out is probably what I need to make the first priority. Thank you.
DLab, in this case I’m using 8x57 brass for an old mannlicher schoenauer 9x56 that was re-chambered long long ago to 9x57. Just need to take 2-3 thou off the necks so that the fit in the chamber to release the bullet and not have excess friction to turn the bolt is improved. This new brass I’m trying is considerably thicker in the neck than the Norma and PPU I have used. Edit: forgot to mention I’m using a bushing die on this cartridge - only bushing die I own.
Chuck, haha classic response! I do use Lapua and Peterson brass for my 7-08s and see a significant improvement in quality and foresee no use of a neck turner on that stuff.
Thanks all

Last edited by kujoseto; 07-12-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:46 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Obsessed1, now that reasoning right there of not needing to change things out is probably what I need to make the first priority. Thank you.
DLab, in this case I’m using 8x57 brass for an old mannlicher schoenauer 9x56 that was re-chambered long long ago to 9x57. Just need to take 2-3 thou off the necks so that the fit in the chamber to release the bullet and not have excess friction to turn the bolt is improved. This new brass I’m trying is considerably thicker in the neck than the Norma and PPU I have used. Edit: forgot to mention I’m using a bushing die on this cartridge - only bushing die I own.
Chuck, haha classic response! I do use Lapua and Peterson brass for my 7-08s and see a significant improvement in quality and foresee no use of a neck turner on that stuff.
Thanks all
OK I see.The main issue as of late is which brand is available in Canada,with Covid rules regulating Companies and Border speed on shipping and availability becoming a factor.
But ,if you don't want to spend right now,the Hornady will suffice for your needs I think.But ,if you can manage to get a better hand turner set up,i would do that.
Over the years I have adopted the "Buy once,Cry once" policy,after buying 1-3 of the lesser quality tools,have them not be sufficient for the task,sold them at a loss ,then ended up buying the better quality tools I should have got right off the bat and ended up costing more in the long run.
I use a 21st. Century neck turner with Mandrel dies and a Wilson trimmer set up.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:06 AM

I use a Lyman case trimmer and add on neck turner. The good thing about that model is once the neck turner is set, you can take it on and off the trimmer without having to reset it. I own three of the units for my target guns, each set up for the cartridge in question so I don't have to reset them each time. Doing the first setup is a bit of a pain but once done they work great.

I have tried turning the necks on hunting rifles, both full turn and skim turn, and cannot see enough difference to make it worth the time. Also, if you are going to neck turn then you need bushing dies to properly control you neck tension as a standard sizing die does not work well after full neck turning, they still work okay after skim turning.

Only way to know if it makes a difference is to try it yourself. Reloading is fun and so is experimenting with all the different variables so a guy should never deprive himself of trying things.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Buy good brass. Problem solved.
Would be if you don’t run a custom reamer
My 284 is a 313 neck. Have to turn brass.
Lapua brass is good, but not perfect.
All depends on what your using the rifle for and expectations.
Way more to it than just buy good brass.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne 1 View Post
Very true. I use Lapua brass in my custom 338-06 and must outside skim neck turn after every 2 firings.
I use the K&M neck turner.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
Very true. I use Lapua brass in my custom 338-06 and must outside skim neck turn after every 2 firings.
I use the K&M neck turner.
Interesting. I think Lapua brass is thicker on the shoulder than on the neck, so when the brass flows forward, the area at the shoulder-neck junction will get thicker...and that it maybe why you need to turn down the necks? That can also result in the creation of pesky donuts. It would be interesting to try Winchester brass which apparently has shoulder thickness similar to that in the neck.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:39 AM

I have to agree with DLab on this one...buy once cry once.

I have a Forester set up and it works fine. But if I had to do it all over again I would buy the 21st century, or K&M. Mainly due to the fact that I had to buy extra parts ( eg: shell holder from K&M) and a few other goodies to make the Forester more user friendly. If your only doing a few rounds a year, then hand held trimmers work great, If your doing a lot of trimming...then buy the best you can afford X2, it will be money well spent.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:29 PM

I will need to turn every neck for this brass to fire in my 9x57. I cannot remember how many in total but it could be 200-300 pieces. Then I am set for life with that brass (or maybe a couple lifetimes)
What neck thickness are most people turning to? (Or is common for factory cases)
10 or 11 thou or so?
This stuff is around 14-15

Last edited by kujoseto; 07-13-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:35 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I will need to turn every neck for this brass to fire in my 9x57. I cannot remember how many in total but it could be 200-300 pieces. Then I am set for life with that brass (or maybe a couple lifetimes)
What neck thickness are most people turning to? (Or is common for factory cases)
10 or 11 thou or so?
This stuff is around 14-15
I suggest you do a little reading on the subject.Most would suggest that a case neck needs .003" clearance on average.So,if the necks are .014-.015 that would require .013-.0135,but that depends on how much clearance you already have.If the previous brass you used worked fine ,I suggest measuring the neck wall thickness of that brass and make the new brass the same or close to the same thickness.
Also ,I would suggest only doing a few to start with and check those out confirming what's needed ,then proceed further.Practice on old brass first till you feel confident with consistent results in neck turning.
You can always take a little more off,you can't put it back on.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:07 AM

Fair enough. It doesn’t grow back like a bad haircut lol.
From what I gather if I take off 1-1.5 thou off, I should be good for clearance and sizing will be consistent. Above I mentioned I need to take about 2-3 thou off (and I meant combined on the diameter of the neck)
Looked into the fancier setups. I can see the value in that especially if I end up working 300 pieces, but not sure I want to get that much into the system just yet.
Time to procrastinate on it I guess. Ha!
Old 07-14-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyenne 1 View Post
Yea, that’s definitely your fault and not the brass.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-14-2020, 08:49 AM

I use a Forster for neck turning when I was wildcating , accurate and fairly easy to set up .
Cat
Old 07-14-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Yea, that’s definitely your fault and not the brass.
LOL my fault ??? Gotta know why that’s my fault ????
I spec my reamer how I want them, and cut the chambers accordingly.
All depends on what a person wants and what a person wants for neck clearance.
For precision rifles it’s not the same for everyone.
Would like to know what kind of brass is “perfect “ in your opinion??

I have never found any brass out there that will not benefit from a neck clean up.

Like i said all depends on expectations and what your shooting.

I really do get a lot of humour out of these posts on here and the comments.

I do prefer PMA tools for trimming necks and sizing necks.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:48 AM
Shooting Xs

Yup ,PMA,K&M,21st.,Forster all good hand held turners,buying the separate mandrel's required if they can't be sourced in Canada,can be pricey with exchange and delivery,especially PMA and 21st. they charge $35.00USD shipping for them buying 1 or 5.The PMA Model A turner is listed at $135.00 USD,Carbide mandrel is $60.00,SS Mandrel is $11.00 for a separate calibre.If your using an expander mandrel die along with the turner,cost for mandrel's double.
Don't get me wrong,I have PMA tools,they are excellent.
The OP was looking for a less costly alternative,since he's not shooting SRB.

I agree on the neck skimming will improve most cases statement,if you're already set up to turn for tight neck chambers or customs,by all means do it.
But ,for the average shooter/hunter with factory guns I'm not sure the benefit,either perceived or realised, would out weight the costs on the higher end equipment,especially for a beginner reloader.