Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-12-2020, 01:14 PM

Default Auto Pistol Slide Spring Advice

I have shot and owned handguns for several years. My personal preference and my favourite handgun is the 1911 45 Auto. A few years ago I bought a used Kimber Custom TLE 1911 in 45 Cal. I thoroughly enjoy shooting the gun and have put many rounds through it. When I bought it I got it from a competitive shooter and the pistol had a few minor upgrades done to it. The sites were upgraded and a stronger slide spring was installed for faster cycling (I believe???)
In the last few years my overall health has deteriorated and my grip and overall strength has dropped quite a bit. Last week I went shooting with a friend and unfortunately I found it very difficult to grip and rack the slide. I am not ready to either quit shooting or not be able to enjoy this pistol. I do not want to give it up as one day it will go to my son. He also have a soft spot for the 1911s.
Can someone please give me some advice on options. Also any information on costs for remedying this would be appreciated. My initial thought was to see if there is a weaker slide spring that would have the gun operate fine but make it easier for me to use.
As always folks I really appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:57 PM

Are you pulling the slide by pinching it between your thumb and finger ? If you are try racking it by grasping the slide between the palm of your hand and all your fingers . Kinda like a clam shell, this is much stronger grip
Old 07-13-2020, 02:59 AM

i saw a guy with a longhorn slide pull charging handle on his pistol. i have old guy grip problem also. surgery did not help 100%.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:42 AM

There has got to be gun shops in Calgary that sell 1911 recoil springs but I don't know which ones they are.

If it's just a spring and guide rod then it is very simple. If the gun has something like a recoil master in it then it can be bit more complicated.

If it's just a spring and guide rod find a shop that sells them and try a few. They are fairly cheap. Stock should be around 16 lb and if he put in a heaver one who knows what it is. You can get them all the way from 6 to 20ish pound. Maybe try a 14 and a 12???

If you can't find locally you could order from Freedom ventures.

https://www.freedomventures.ca/produ...-recoil-spring

Good luck
Old 07-13-2020, 09:16 AM

try to find a source of lighter target loads, an assortment of spring weights(or clip your own) and a shok buff.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:53 PM

Hey folks thanks as always for some great advice. I was doing some online reading and I think I am going to get a lighter spring. I know it is pretty simple install and just have to strip it down like I do for cleaning. I contacted the Calgary Shooting Centre and they sell them in their parts dept. Will start with that and see how it goes. Thanks again all.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:22 PM

Might be worthwhile to install a shock buffer at the same time.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydad&son View Post
Hey folks thanks as always for some great advice. I was doing some online reading and I think I am going to get a lighter spring. I know it is pretty simple install and just have to strip it down like I do for cleaning. I contacted the Calgary Shooting Centre and they sell them in their parts dept. Will start with that and see how it goes. Thanks again all.
Late to the thread, but you are on the right track. Wolf springs is a good place to look as well, but CSC has some good people who can probably set you up as well.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone