Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 09:39 AM

Default Precision 22LR Rifles

Well I was out shooting gopfers the other day with a ruger 10/22 I had for years,and when got home I decided that maybe I should upgrade the old girl and get some more accuracy out out of it.As we all know there is a ton of upgrades for the ruger 10/22's, well I contacted a canadian site , and one thing lead to another and he suggested with all the upgrades I wanted that I just purchase a high end new gun,so my question is what are you members with custom and or upgraded 10/22's shooting .
Old 07-08-2020, 10:02 AM

I don’t know how the market treats modified 10/22’s but at the end of the day it is possible your upgrade value is little more than the factory model? I would expect the 10/22 clones such as the Volquartzen would better retain their value. So, if resale value is a consideration, you might be best advised to look at brands like the VQ.
EDIT: I purchased my VQ from Sylvestre Sports in Bonnyville.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 07-08-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:09 AM

Well resale is not a consideration as I have two grandsons that would more than happy to have have them once they are eligible .
Old 07-08-2020, 10:48 AM

I have built two custom 10/22 rifles, and I have owned a Volquartsen, which was not only the better rifle, but the resale value was excellent.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:05 AM

If you are talking target shooting Federal Champion 40 grain solid lead (not copper coated) Standard velocity has worked well considering it is relatively cheap. If you want to shoot competitively try some SK, Eley and Lapua and find which brand a version it shoots best. This ammo is NOT cheap so not what you want to be using for high volume shooting.

For straight gopher shooting, a big hollow point with a velocity over 1250 fps is what I care about so I shoot Winchester Xpert. It isn't target grade ammo as it does have flyers but it has great performance on gophers and it is cheap. Finding large hollow points that feed well through semi autos sometimes takes some testing, but the Xpert worked well in the ones I tried it in. CCI makes a segmented 22 LR that is hell on gophers but it is a lot more money.

You need to know what chamber is on your new barrel. If it is a match chamber or anything close it may not shoot Stingers due to their case being longer than a standard 22 RF.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:35 AM

For sure I wil be using /getting a match grade barrel ,I have being looking at the Volquartsen 22LR rifles and I was also looking at a custom rifle with Kidd 2
stage trigger assembly /match barrel and custom receiver etc in a magpul X-22 stock. I am curious to also hear from members who shoot such rifles about what kind of accuracy and what shells they are using.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinoridr View Post
For sure I wil be using /getting a match grade barrel ,I have being looking at the Volquartsen 22LR rifles and I was also looking at a custom rifle with Kidd 2
stage trigger assembly /match barrel and custom receiver etc in a magpul X-22 stock. I am curious to also hear from members who shoot such rifles about what kind of accuracy and what shells they are using.
My Volquartsen averaged around 3/8" for five shots at 50 yards, using a lower priced RWS target load.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:28 PM
Banned

Due to my recent experience I’m starting to think the ammo is more important than the rifle. My friend and I are getting geared up to shoot rimfire precision matches this year. I went and bought a Ruger Precision rimfire, he used the 40 year old Marlin his dad left him. While the Ruger will shoot a smaller 50m group there’s not much difference between them shooting steel out to 300m with SK Standard Plus. Might be lucky and that’s just an outstanding rifle but I kind of doubt it, my Ruger shoots no better than anything else with the cheap stuff. Buy good ammo and practice reading wind, it’s a tricky beast.

If you like the 10/22 platform and are really stuck on a new iron I’d look at a Bergara BXR.

https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/bxr/
Old 07-08-2020, 02:12 PM

Back in the day when I shot RimFire at the Range, don’t recall ever seeing an upgraded 10/22 that grouped better than my VQ. Like Elk, my VQ is pretty reliable for sub 1/2” groups @ 50M. When conditions are reasonable, I expect an 80% hit ratio on gophers out to 100M.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:18 PM

VQ makes and excellent and accurate semi auto. I have never owned a Bergara 22 but given all the issues they have with their Centerfire rifles I would not be looking to be the first one trying out the 22. Only way I would buy one is if I could test shoot it for 30 days at least and return it for a full cash refund if not satisfied.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Here's a precision .22 in action. Wow is all I can say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUta...wl7Gv_2ji9Csng

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-08-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

That is some damn impressive shooting. Even her missed shots are very close. 300 yards offhand with wind at a 1.5 inch target using a 22rf. On top of that she isn't hard to look at. Great ad for VQ.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:04 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

what a beauty......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-08-2020, 10:40 PM

Yes after researching volqurtsen rifles I am leaning towards buying one of their 22LR or else a custom built using Kidd components,just waiting on some pricing.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:01 AM

I'd contact Dlask Arms in BC about a 10/22 build. I've never heard anyone complain about the quality and workmanship of their products. with today's exchange rate between the CDN and US currency, you might want to shop around a bit.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:00 AM

Don't fart around with custom 22s when whatever you build will in all likelihood not be much better, if any, than a VQ.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:03 PM

The boy and my 10/22's are constantly evolving ...

This picture is not that old and I already switched back to a dlask receiver. The TI one is nice but the rear charging handle is a bit of a pain with the scope.
We are both running dlask CF barrels now.
The possibilities are endless. We probably have enough parts to build 6 guns...

Most 10/22 configuration we have used seem to like federal auto match

I have a kidd bull barrel I am not using. Pretty sure it's this one
https://dlaskarms.com/product/kidd-2...e-bull-barrel/
If you do a build you can give it a try. If you like it you can buy it / if not give it back. It's a good barrel but it's pretty heavy. We do like the dlask cf barrels.

Good luck with whatever you chose. And don't listen to sns2, farting around is fun LOL I don't have a VQ so I can't comment on that

Old 07-09-2020, 12:21 PM

So those are the culprits responsible for all the damage to the silhouettes!!!
Old 07-09-2020, 12:37 PM

LOL that .... or my brothers shooting 223 at them