Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-14-2020, 08:25 PM

Default Welcome back, Hasse Lake

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3idmi8qali...0Lake.jpg?dl=0
Old 05-14-2020, 08:51 PM

Grew up at that lake!

Then the perch moved in and the island in the center became a beach chicken roost, complete with many feet of bird droppings.

Lets hope that the Perch did in fact all die in the winter kill, along with what I understood were some sterile pike that were stocked to keep the perch numbers under control.

Then the winter kill hit, which had never happened in all the time I knew this lake.

Perhaps it should have been treated with rotenone long ago, but anyways, lets hope for the best!!

Drewski
Old 05-15-2020, 08:07 AM

This is indeed great news. Was talking with a fishing friend on Wednesday. He is responsible for getting the aerators in place once the power line gets installed so should become a great trout fishery again.

Spent many autumn days there in the past for incredible back swimmer action.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:38 AM

Used to fish there in the early 80s I remember catching some nice size rainbows

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2020, 09:18 AM

I'm not sure I understand the plan here. Spend a ton of money to rehab a fishery and then additional costs for construction and aeration installation (not to mention cost of running them) only to keep it a limit of 5 fish put and take lake? To me that is not a wise use of ACA dollars.

I would be all for rehabbing the lake and aerating if something was changed in the regs to make it a QSF fishery with regs similar to Muir....or even just a reduced limit of 2 fish/person. I have looked for any proposed changes to regs and have found nothing. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

A reduced limit would actually begin to teach people about conservation....something that just happens to be right in the ACAs mission statement (in the name even).

All this does is continue to promote over fishing and condition folks to keep more fish than they actually need. At a crazy cost. Your license dollars.

Makes no sense to me.

J
Old 05-15-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post
I'm not sure I understand the plan here. Spend a ton of money to rehab a fishery and then additional costs for construction and aeration installation (not to mention cost of running them) only to keep it a limit of 5 fish put and take lake? To me that is not a wise use of ACA dollars.

I would be all for rehabbing the lake and aerating if something was changed in the regs to make it a QSF fishery with regs similar to Muir....or even just a reduced limit of 2 fish/person. I have looked for any proposed changes to regs and have found nothing. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

A reduced limit would actually begin to teach people about conservation....something that just happens to be right in the ACAs mission statement (in the name even).

All this does is continue to promote over fishing and condition folks to keep more fish than they actually need. At a crazy cost. Your license dollars.

Makes no sense to me.

J
I have not heard about regulation changes either.

That said, makes sense to me. Things like this that improve a fishery is money well spent. Who said everything needs to be under "quality" regs? A balance is fine by me. Some on it, some not. And how knows, maybe they do have plans to change the regs in the near future.

It is a good news story to me.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:22 PM

I fished that lake lots from ‘76 to about ‘88.

Huge hungry trout.

‘Fish the narrows’ .....if anyone understands that.

Never did like the island.

Ice fishing early early mornings with my dad and my uncles.

Sad to hear about the perching. That was a tragedy.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-15-2020, 01:46 PM

Can anybody overnight there, is there a camp ground there, thanks