Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Default Savage .223

I am planning on getting a savage .223 in either the 12FLV or 10FLCP-k. my questions are, is a muzzle brake on a .223 going to be anoying and loud? Is an accustock on the 10FLCP-K worth the extra 180 bucks?
Primary use is target shooting to 350. (far as the range goes) I would like to do some coyote hunting with it too at some point.
They both have a 1in 9 twist, is this ideal for target shooting and what grain bullets are best? I mostly shoot Sierra's.
Which is the better buy for my purposes do you think? If there is another manufacturer that makes a left hand in at least a 24" barrel for under 900, I am listening.

Thanks Guys.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 PM

First of all why in the heck do you need a muzzlebrake on a .223! If you can't take the recoil of that you need to find another sport, and yes it will make it much louder and everyone at the range will hate you. If I was buying I would choose the accustock, much much stiffer and more consitent from what i hear.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:20 PM

Default muzzle brake

it isn't that i want a muzzle brake it is that it looks like that model comes with it. the noise is the thing that will turn me off but i wanted some others with experience to give me some advise. I get enough snarky answers at home i don't need yours, just looking for a little education from experience.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:59 PM

I own the savage model 10 precision carbine. Short heavy barrel, no brake, digital camo accu-stock, easy MOA at 100m with handloads, I've only put a box of factory FMJ's through it for break-in so I don't know how accuracy is with them but it should be good. I haven't tried it beyond 200m yet but it was good at 200.
I was looking at the other ones but didn't think a 223 needed a muzzle brake or a long barrel.
Get whichever one you like the price and looks of the most, they will all shoot well.

Unless you can travel 1000 meters in 1.4 seconds you can't outrun my Lapua

1000 rounds minimum for every gun! You have to be ready when the zombies come.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM

I was a little snarky sorry about that, it just seems very rifle under the sun now has a mb option. I'm seeing guys with 7-08's and 308's with breaks and it all seem's a little odd. I would avoid the break if at all possible as you don't need it on the caliber and it will create all kinds of unneccasary noise.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM

Default thanks guys

thanks, leaning towards the 12FLV right now.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM

I have the 12FV in .223. super accurate heavy barrel withstands the heat from multiple shots when the gophers are getting careless. I SHoot it off the bipod as it's a bit heavy for a walk-around gun, the weight is good for watching gopher explosions thru the 'scope. I've shot bullet weights from 37gr to 75gr, all good. Mine is Accutrigger but pre Accustock. If I would've known how much I'd use this gun I would've spent the extra jingle on the stainless laminated model for no other reason than looks, as mine works great even with the "Tupperware" stock that so many " net experts" bad-mouth.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:18 PM

I have the savage model 25 lightweight varminter in .223 cal. It is easy one shot kills out 300 yards on gophers. The wood laminated stock is what mine has and shots really well, 5 shot groups at 200 yards average less than 3/4 inch with handloads. I think that the rifle could do better it shoots better than I do. If I was to do agian I think I might wait to get the model 12 cause I like the action and magazine alot more. think that the 12 flv would do everything you could ask it to, but either way you go I would stay away from the muzzel brake. over all you will like shooting it as often as you can so if you don't reload I would sugest starting cause I put a good 400+ rounds throught the barel since I got mine I may.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM

I asked this exact question on the savage forum, being left handed the only model 10 available to me is the one with the brake. It can be removed or as was suggested the barrel can be cut and a new crown machined, either way more work and money. I don't know how much difference the accustock would make in a .223, as recoil is pretty much a non issue? Tough choice I'm betting your looking at the model 10 being somewhat lighter than the 12? Another thought, the ports on the brake can probably be closed off to make non functioning. Everyone is probably wondering what the big deal is over a model just buy a different gun, but if you were left handed and had your heart set on a left handed gun you would get it. The choices are very limited and we always seem to be giving up features or getting fetures we don't want. Savage has lots of rifles I would love to have if I were right handed, but don't make one with the features I would want in a left, and they probably have the best selection in left handed guns of all the manufacturers.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
First of all why in the heck do you need a muzzlebrake on a .223! If you can't take the recoil of that you need to find another sport, and yes it will make it much louder and everyone at the range will hate you. If I was buying I would choose the accustock, much much stiffer and more consitent from what i hear.
He may not want a muzzle break on the. 223 in terms of recoil. Muzzle breaks on such low recoil calibers are often needed for follow up shots. You ought to know your stuff before you spout.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:32 AM

I have a muzzle brake on my ar15, it's all about quick target acquisition. I hardly move off my point of aim each time I squeese the trigger. The MB allows me to rattle off some really fast tight groups.

It's pretty loud, when the ar starts barking some folks leave the area. Not to bad if your shooting them; but if your beside someone firing one the ported gases blast the crap out of you.

Last edited by uglyelk; 12-10-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:23 AM

Thanks everyone, I do a lot of shooting with my wife and brother at the range we wear ear protection but I am guessing it will still be quite a blast with the brake. How about a 700 sps or the varmint? Will they heat up in a .223? Yes us lefties do suffer from a limited selection but I am guessing it wasn't all that many years ago there was no selection so I do like that there is a growing market.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:29 AM

I am also a leftie and shoot a Savage .223, originally was a 116 with sport barrel but changed it out for a 24" Douglas and added a stock and trigger as well.
Just another option would be finding a well used sporter and doing a little customizing,easy to do and doesn't break the bank.

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 12-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterRed View Post
it isn't that i want a muzzle brake it is that it looks like that model comes with it. the noise is the thing that will turn me off but i wanted some others with experience to give me some advise. I get enough snarky answers at home i don't need yours, just looking for a little education from experience.
It is not a mussel brake it is a flash resister
Old 12-11-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergarin View Post
No it is a muzzel brake.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gergarin View Post
In the military on the the old 7.62 FN C1 they were called "Flash Eliminators"......but they didn't eliminate the flash....lol! When the 5.56 C7 came into service they called them "Flash Suppressors". So is "Flash Resistor" the newest military term for a muzzle brake?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:31 AM

I too am lefty. The Savage model 16 is the light weight left hand version, non-accustock, stainless, thaat I bought new at WSS last year for $519 and they also make the Model 12 in Stainless Low profile in Left hand. I have both the light and heavy in 223. I would avoid the current crop of remingtons unless you have a lot of time to tune them to shoot properly. The last three Remingtons I have purchased new have all needed extensive work, and $4-$500 in parts, to get them to shoot as well as I expect them to.

Both Savages will shoot groups under 1/2" at 200 yards with handloads when I do my part and they easily hold an inch at 200. The only thing I did to them was glass bed the actions, but they shot just as well before they were bedded, just wanted to be sure the POI didn't move with the weather. For a yote or walking gun I would use the light gun, for targets like you wnat, I would definitley by the model 12.

I would avoid the brake because of the noise and how little there is to gain in quicker target acquisition. Particualry the heavy 12 doesn't hardly move when you fire it. If you can't buy it without the brake, just scew it off the barrel and get a thread protector to replace it. The gun wuill shoot just fine without the brake. Best of luck.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM

you could also watch the EE for a used LH .223. I picked up a used one last year, a 10FLV. Accutrigger, plastic stock, 26" barrel, accurate as hell as is- no mods. Just remembered, mine is a 22-250. Have seen a few .223's though on here and CGN. Most are around the 500-600 price range.

Good luck with your search. I think its time we lefties got our own area on this forum.