Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 09:20 PM

Default Selling a Used Vehicle in Todays Market - Sale Pending Questions ?? -

Been shopping around for a new SUV hoping G.M. would be announcing some major discounts/incentives considering they were shut down & recently opened up Detroit & the 2021's will be rolled out sometime in October.

Getting quotes from dealers they sure are hungry and prices for trading in my Acadia, you don't get much for trades, your basically paying them to take it off your hands.

Been advertising here since May 18th in the Vehicle BST as well Kijiji, had one semi serious fella from R/D but he decided to buy someone else's truck and a bunch of Kijiji low ball tire kickers bugging me.

I made sure my SUV was the lowest price of all the 2014 Acadia Denali's in Ab at $19,300. Mine's in great shape, well looked after, Dealers would be selling it for $20-24K, plus GST.

Not sure if it's the current market conditions or what, has anyone here had any luck selling a decent vehicle privately, any tips or tricks to share ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

David

Link to my A/O ad .... lots of info/pic's but no P/M's.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=381739

[/URL]

Old 05-31-2020, 09:23 PM

If you are not in a hurry to sell just keep driving it. Until a buyer comes along I tend to do that with my stuff I will just keep it , a few occasions the price actually appreciated...
Old 05-31-2020, 09:30 PM

I've been in the pre owned business for the past 30 years. Theres a huge adjustment in wholesale values now and comming. Auctions not fully running and US buyers holding tight so dealers wont pay up on trades unless mint condition. Just hang on as the market adjusts.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:38 PM

Tks fella ... I'm in no rush to buy new, I'm sure the Major MFG's will be offering cash incentives to more inventory, but not getting much luck from the average person looking for a used vehicle. Was thinking to many people in Ab aren't working & it's our local economy but maybe not.

D.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:06 AM

Just a thought to consider. Hertz just went bankrupt a couple weeks ago. That may soon flood the used car markets. Higher supply and lower COVID demand may make for an awful time to be selling. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:47 AM

Look for a broker. They purchase the vehicle from you and take the darn thing across the border to the US. The purchasers are buying with Greenbacks, so they're seeing savings of ~30% right now. It can be a great way to sell a medium-priced vehicle.

Ironically, the sale of Canadian used vehicles to US buyers depletes our own supply of used cars. It artificially keeps the cost of used vehicles high, and in turn makes new vehicles comparatively attractive to potential buyers.

Otherwise, in my experience anything over $10k is a pain to sell. That seems to be the most that folks tend to have 'on hand'. Much more that that and most people need to access financing, and given the current climate there aren't a ton of people lining up to take on more debt.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Been shopping around for a new SUV hoping G.M. would be announcing some major discounts/incentives considering they were shut down & recently opened up Detroit & the 2021's will be rolled out sometime in October.

Getting quotes from dealers they sure are hungry and prices for trading in my Acadia, you don't get much for trades, your basically paying them to take it off your hands.

Been advertising here since May 18th in the Vehicle BST as well Kijiji, had one semi serious fella from R/D but he decided to buy someone else's truck and a bunch of Kijiji low ball tire kickers bugging me.

I made sure my SUV was the lowest price of all the 2014 Acadia Denali's in Ab at $19,300. Mine's in great shape, well looked after, Dealers would be selling it for $20-24K, plus GST.

Not sure if it's the current market conditions or what, has anyone here had any luck selling a decent vehicle privately, any tips or tricks to share ?

Cheers

David

Having the same issue selling my trailer as well...Zero hits since posting 2 weeks ago......I knew it was going to be tough based on all the camping restrictions...LOL

Link to my A/O ad .... lots of info/pic's but no P/M's.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=381739

[/URL]

Old 06-02-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
any tips or tricks to share ?

Cheers

David
Don't buy a GM...
Old 06-02-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Don't buy a GM...
Don't Buy a GM .... Tks for your Pearls of Wisdom & Valuable Advice on Selling a Used Vehicle.

Cheers

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 06-02-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Tks for your Pearls of Wisdom & Valuable Advice on Selling a Used Vehicle.

Cheers

D.

I just bought a new to me 2016 GMC 2500HD SLE Crew. Short box. Dealers are anxious to sell. I got everything I asked for in pricing financing and a new windshield. I’m extremely happy with the deal I got.

BW
Old 06-02-2020, 05:40 PM

I got a call this afternoon from 2 Calgary Dealers, GM just announced they will be selling certain vehicles, including the SUV I'm interested in at Dealer Cost and GM is kicking in another $750.00 discount off the final selling price all at 0% financing, this saves me at least $6800. going to Calgary next week.

I dropped my price another $1K it's now listed for $18K on the A/O Vehicle BST, if it doesn't sell it gets traded.

Tks all (except FOW) for the input, it was very helpful.

Cheers

David

Old 06-02-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:

I got a call this afternoon from 2 Calgary Dealers, GM just announced they will be selling certain vehicles, including the SUV I'm interested in at Dealer Cost and GM is kicking in another $750.00 discount off the final selling price all at 0% financing, this saves me at least $6800. going to Calgary next week.

I dropped my price another $1K it's now listed for $18K on the A/O Vehicle BST, if it doesn't sell it gets traded.

Cheers

David
Did u put it on the Canadian and U,S, autotraders. There is usually far more interest than on Kijiji.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:53 PM

Offer it here for what the dealer said they’d give you.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Cheers

David
Depending on the MSRP...the "invoice" cost is NOT the true cost the dealer pays.

On a 75-80000 truck there is likely 20-25% markup from the true "break even" price.

There's also hidden incentives that save the dealer's a fair bit under invoice cost. Holdback is one of those.

When ever dealing on a vehicle and the dealer tells you this is their bottom price and you are getting a great deal.

Ask to see the Invoice from the Manufacturer....so you can come up with a "fair" price for both parties and make a quick deal.

If he doesn't show you an official invoice your getting screwed....IF he shows you the invoice then he's half-honest.

Too many people fall for dealing off the "MSRP"....and REALLY gullible deal on an "affordable" monthly payment....
Old 06-05-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
Depending on the MSRP...the "invoice" cost is NOT the true cost the dealer pays.

Ask to see the Invoice from the Manufacturer....so you can come up with a "fair" price for both parties and make a quick deal.

If he doesn't show you an official invoice your getting screwed....IF he shows you the invoice then he's half-honest.

Too many people fall for dealing off the "MSRP"....and REALLY gullible deal on an "affordable" monthly payment....
I just bought a new truck, many dealers were advertising X% over invoice. Many of the invoices I was shown were higher than the invoice reports available from Unhaggle and Car Cost Canada. They refused to sell a vehicle at X% over my invoice. One dealer's invoice matched exactly so Car Cost Canada cannot be completely out to lunch. My guess is that some dealers print up phony invoices just to show customers, you will never know the true dealer cost especially with the back end profits paid by the manufacturer at year end.