Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Talking Anonymous is after Guzoo!

Its horrific to think that after being declared unfit for decades,
it takes this to get it international attention.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity...erta-zoo2.html

Side note,
Guzoo is now asking for volunteer security guards.

I am pretty sure the SOB thinks that their attack is a literal one and is preparing for war.

They are claiming to go after all provincial offices that have allowed this to continue, as well as telling the RCMP to expect them, reminding them of Halifax.

This needs constant pressure, and although I highly doubt this alone with close guzoo, it might help bump it up on the priority list.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Oh, and yes I have been there,
and seen some horrible conditions.
Ive submitted pictures for public use,
and no I am not a hippie.

As a community we should be ashamed that he still gets support because he is a good ol boy, and he means well, and yadda yadda yadda.

As hunters and outdoorsmen, We are ethical, and believe in the humane treatment of our game, why should it stop there? Just because these animals are not going onto our plate, or from our backyard, they are still deserving of the best we can offer.

Letting our government continually let him slide is not the best we can do. This is our province, and I understand that life isn't all just roses and lollipops, but at what point is it enough to clean our community of this type of behavior?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:16 PM

There was a several month long fight on here lLast time they were brought up; bleeding hearts were crying about poor poor gazoo trying to save animals with no backing, and realists saying good, about time his furry horror show was stopped and they face charges.

I am a realist.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
There was a several month long fight on here lLast time they were brought up; bleeding hearts were crying about poor poor gazoo trying to save animals with no backing, and realists saying good, about time his furry horror show was stopped and they face charges.

I am a realist.
Had some respect for the guy till a couple of weeks ago. Was in Three Hills for their museum day. Guzoo had an animal exhibit there. Very cute and good for kids, but they had a nanny goat there with ears completely frozen off. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Grizz
Old 07-13-2013, 05:02 PM

Yo! Grizz!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Lamancha_goat
Old 07-13-2013, 07:50 PM

It takes a bunch of geeks behind computer screens and keyboards to do the things we all want to see done. It's a shame that it takes a mask and anonymity to get things done politically at this point in our society.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-13-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Nah, this one had stubs and her kid had normal ears.

Grizz
Old 07-13-2013, 09:30 PM

I think all zoos should be required to report every death of an animal in its care, and that it should be reviewed by a impartial party.
Not thrown on a burn pile or fed to another animal.
Just screams of being shady.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM

Default the goat with frozen off ears???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Had some respect for the guy till a couple of weeks ago. Was in Three Hills for their museum day. Guzoo had an animal exhibit there. Very cute and good for kids, but they had a nanny goat there with ears completely frozen off. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Grizz
The goat you are referring to did NOT have frozen off ears. It is a domestic goat. they are a breed of goat used for both milk and meat. they are called LaMancha goats.
Before damning a person you should know your goats.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
I think all zoos should be required to report every death of an animal in its care, and that it should be reviewed by a impartial party.
Not thrown on a burn pile or fed to another animal.
Just screams of being shady.
I think you will find that all animals under the zoo licensing is to be reported. They do go around and do checks. there is a complete paper trail, and yes Guzoo does follow that rule as well.
they do not control any of the domestic animals.
Also I do bellieve there was a pic of a domestic dog in the burn pile and upon doing some very basic research it was found that the burn pit is considered an acceptable disposal method of carcasses in Alberta AND that the pit at Guzoo is used for the disosal of other carcasses other than those at Guzoo.
this dog apparently was not even a dog from the zoo at all, but one that way brought in to be disposed of. Once again it is a case of someone deciding they knew nothing about and yet decided it would be a good way to blacken the name of a place without the proper information. Very basic research brought that simple fact forward.
This is just another case of someone jumping to conclusions.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofanimals View Post
The goat you are referring to did NOT have frozen off ears. It is a domestic goat. they are a breed of goat used for both milk and meat. they are called LaMancha goats.
Sure as Hell didn't look like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Lamancha_goat

As pointed out, neither did the Kid, which had "normal" ears.

Grizz
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
And, this is another case of trolling the web attempting to do damage control.

This thread had been dead for two weeks. Your account is brand new, and you've posted no introduction, or in any thread that is outdoors related. You have zero credibility here.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 AM

This group of internet igilants is all fine and good until they attack the wrong person who loses everything due to court and publc opinion and is found not guilty and is truly innocent.
Who is to blame then?
Cat
Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 AM

Angry

I. too, am at a loss as to how this "zookeeper" can get away with this disgusting operation. Has he made big contributions to the PC election campaign or what?
I went there many years ago and was completely mortified. It is a prison. No, wait! In prison, human inmates get clean water and good food and live in clean cells!!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:43 AM

As a hunter and someone who enjoys wildlife I find all zoo's cruel IMO.
Not that all zoo's treat the animals poorly but containing an animal that has a natural range of several square km to only a few square meters just doesn't seem like a high quality of life. I'm not talking length of life as I know animals in captivity live longer as predators, disease and injuries are not as common and usually treated but I'm talking quality of natural life and freedom.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
As a hunter and someone who enjoys wildlife I find all zoo's cruel IMO.
Not that all zoo's treat the animals poorly but containing an animal that has a natural range of several square km to only a few square meters just doesn't seem like a high quality of life. I'm not talking length of life as I know animals in captivity live longer as predators, disease and injuries are not as common and usually treated but I'm talking quality of natural life and freedom.
How many North American zoo animals are captured from the wild, versus captive bred?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 AM

That doesn't matter .....it is how they were designed to live, how they were bred has no relevance to my opinion.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
And so it begins...

It occurs too me that not very many people knock the Calgary Zoo or Toronto or a host of other u-pet em places but for some reason a whole bunch seem to take issue with the place in question.

There must be a reason for that.
Regardless of whether one is a goat expert or not most of us have some idea of what is and what is not acceptable within the boundaries of society on the whole.

I don't know the guy and I've never been to his place.
I have seen pictures and maintained a periferal awareness via the forum here and the media and its my opinion that the growing opinion that the place needs to be shut down hinges on more than whether or not an earless goat is the result of design or mishap.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
That doesn't matter .....it is how they were designed to live, how they were bred has no relevance to my opinion.
I think the same way in relations to man and government.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-31-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
I. too, am at a loss as to how this "zookeeper" can get away with this disgusting operation. Has he made big contributions to the PC election campaign or what?
I went there many years ago and was completely mortified. It is a prison. No, wait! In prison, human inmates get clean water and good food and live in clean cells!!
Somebody I know is adamant Gustavson is one of those Freedmen on the Land types. Not sure I believe that and having been there, definitely room for improvement on the place. I don't want to see the place shut down, lot of good comes out of that place but one would think with all the fuss, he'd hold himself to a higher standard. And, trust me, I know what frozen ears look like.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 07-31-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Banned

IBTL!

I maintain my sea monkeys to better standards than any of those higher animals receive.

More like unswept Puzoo if you ask me.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I think you will find that all animals under the zoo licensing is to be reported. They do go around and do checks. there is a complete paper trail, and yes Guzoo does follow that rule as well.
they do not control any of the domestic animals.
Also I do bellieve there was a pic of a domestic dog in the burn pile and upon doing some very basic research it was found that the burn pit is considered an acceptable disposal method of carcasses in Alberta AND that the pit at Guzoo is used for the disosal of other carcasses other than those at Guzoo.
this dog apparently was not even a dog from the zoo at all, but one that way brought in to be disposed of. Once again it is a case of someone deciding they knew nothing about and yet decided it would be a good way to blacken the name of a place without the proper information. Very basic research brought that simple fact forward.

Hello Guzoo.

2 posts, first and ever on this thread, in a hunting/fishing forum.

Do you actually think you are going to sway anyone here? 99% of the membership can think for themselves, and know the crap that has been pulled at that freakshow.

Your best exit is stage left.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM

I enjoy the Guzoo more than the Calgary Zoo, kids get to interact and enjoy the animals more, if you haven't taken the kids yet you really should. The Guzoo is more like a farm so someone from the city would consider it dirty but they would think the same with a lot of farms. If we had a dog or cow die it was just thrown in the pit. Never thought to have a proper funeral and bury a dog. A lot of cats at the farm had frozen ears, they were not allowed in the house, a bad winter some of the cows would have frozen ears. When you have livestock you will have deadstock.
I think owning dogs in the city, holed up in an apartment all day maybe walked once is more cruel than anything that happens out here. My wifes friend was an animal lover loser yet she kept her dogs in a kennel all day while at work. So many horrible things happening in the world to worry about other than this.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:17 PM

Your jumping to conclusions and assuming I don't know anything about this situation,
Tsk tsk.

If your a member of the Gustafson family, I feel sorry that your last name is famous for animal abuse.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 PM
Banned

I know nothing about this zoo but periodically there is a thread about it. Knowing that zoos are a prime target of PETA types, I have to ask myself this......If this zoo is as brutal as what some people claim it is, why hasn't the government shut it down by now? I'm pretty sure that the minimum government standards have to be met and that the zoo is subject to periodic inspections so.....Why haven't they been shut down?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 PM

I went to Guzoo many years ago, and liked it. Enclosures were clean, animals all seemed happy and healthy, everything was good. A couple years ago when the Guzoo controversy started I was on the old guys side, but as time went on and more questionable pictures surfaced (especially the dead dogs piled up) I changed my views on the operation. Time to find new homes for the animals and shut the place down.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 PM

I think the "farm" excuse for the conditions is patheitc. I am not 100% sure what farms most people have been on but i know most I have been around (alot) would be ashamed if their land looked like that. I have been on farms that are terrible but all the other landowners around those places all think the person is a moron as well.

I also think it is hilarious how he says that the people attacking him are "domestic terrorists" This shows the person has absolutely no grasp on reality.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 PM

Here's the thing about anonymous that often gets overlooked.

They aren't kids. They aren't geeks. They aren't immature.

Yes... there are kids, geeks, and immature people in anonymous... a lot of them. But the ones who organize these operations - the ones who do the hacktivism... they're extremely intelligent people. Possibly anarchists. But extremely intelligent.

Anonymous has no leadership. By its definition it is both a headless monster and a hydra. The operations that make it to the big-times like this one... they aren't organized by some kid. They're organized by the intelligent ones, who think, look, and investigate. The intelligent ones are the ones who find the truly worthy causes... the ones that many will put their effort to.

The first step in hacking (which a hacktivist is rather skilled at) is information gathering. They look everywhere, at everything, and they go over it with a fine tooth comb. Like AO members and hunting, they take pride in it, and they do it meticulously.

If they believe this to be animal abuse, I believe it's worth looking into - honestly, I'd never heard of this zoo before today. Never trust another person's conclusions, but always remember them. I'll be watching this with great interest.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheAngry View Post
Here's the thing about anonymous that often gets overlooked.

They aren't kids. They aren't geeks. They aren't immature.

Yes... there are kids, geeks, and immature people in anonymous... a lot of them. But the ones who organize these operations - the ones who do the hacktivism... they're extremely intelligent people. Possibly anarchists. But extremely intelligent.

Anonymous has no leadership. By its definition it is both a headless monster and a hydra. The operations that make it to the big-times like this one... they aren't organized by some kid. They're organized by the intelligent ones, who think, look, and investigate. The intelligent ones are the ones who find the truly worthy causes... the ones that many will put their effort to.

The first step in hacking (which a hacktivist is rather skilled at) is information gathering. They look everywhere, at everything, and they go over it with a fine tooth comb. Like AO members and hunting, they take pride in it, and they do it meticulously.

If they believe this to be animal abuse, I believe it's worth looking into - honestly, I'd never heard of this zoo before today. Never trust another person's conclusions, but always remember them. I'll be watching this with great interest.
You forgot the part about them not being accountable for ruining a person's life if they screw up and go after the wrong person.
Vigilante justice is all good until that happens, and I have seen it happen several times.
I'm not saying this guzzo person/thing is innocent, what I AM saying is that there are people in place that are accountable to look at things like this.
Cat