Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: When you encounter trash at/on the water, you...
leave it there, someone else will get it 6 6.32%
remove as much as I can at the time 84 88.42%
pick up the empties - friday night fund 5 5.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 PM

Default River Trash - fishermans treasure???

Whats the top thing you've found on the side of the river, and kept for yourself???

I run into lures and golf balls a lot... most the time the golf balls get thrown up on shore further, and the lures in my tackle box to be thrown out or kept if they aren't rusted...

how about everyone else?

Also - a poll - when you see trash that fits in your pockets on the riverbed / lake shore - do you ignore it, or take a handful out when you walk out???

edit: Personally, i try and pick up all the tangled balls of line... hate it when animals get caught up in that. Also will try and take things that fit in the pockets of my vest, it mostly gets filled with line though.

Last edited by slivers86; 03-31-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM

ill take what i bring down back out

im no eco faag other need to be punished for what they leave behind not catered to
Old 03-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Banned

I'm ashamed to say it, but I tend to leave garbage where it lay. I'm usually packing too much as it is and trying to pick up isn't easy at times.

Anything dangerous to wildlife? for sure, i'll grab it. Couple of days ago I came across about 150 yards of monofilament, probably 20 pound test at least. It was everywhere, in the water and on shore. Took 10 minutes to gather it up and stuff it in my waders but I can just imagine an animal getting caught up in it.

As for findings, found lures that were mostly barbed (drives me f'ing insane), lots of flies - including some of my own from last year.

I don't even leave cigarette butts behind, my waders tend to stink of tobacco but it's better than the alternative.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Personally, i try and pick up all the tangled balls of line... hate it when animals get caught up in that. Also will try and take things that fit in the pockets of my vest, it mostly gets filled with line though.
Agreed 100% I always gather the line and lures and just put it in my tackle box. any other trash goes in the backpack. Now that wasn't hard for me so why was it there in the first place? Drives me nuts...
Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 PM

I usually carry a 5 gallon pail with a lid. Makes a very good seat as well as doubles as a great garbage can for throwing other peoples @&$? In to carry out. Nothing worse then taking my kids fishing and seeing a bunch of crap strewn about
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 PM
Banned

Cool

I keep a garbage pocket on my vest just for picking up other peoples left overs.
one of my local spots is contsantly covered in lure packages, line,emptys. the ones that leave the mess spoil the area for everyone.
keep up the good work folks.

Last edited by fish gunner; 03-31-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 PM

was fly fishing the bow last year. was a really slow day and nothing i was throwing out there was working. I found a really nice black streamer in a tree that someone must of snagged, plucked it out of the tree and caught the only brown i caught all day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0430011906a.jpg (61.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 0430011904.jpg (42.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 0430011904b.jpg (80.8 KB, 125 views)
Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 PM

Yesterday I found a stack of counterfeit $50 bills on the shore south of the auto mall bridge on the Bow. Definitely the strangest thing i'v come upon. Made my blood pressure increase for a minute
Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 PM

saw a 1/4 inch yellow nylon rope in the water at the end of a deep run with at least 12 rapalas stuck in it. Spinners and buzzbombs too. Kinda looked like it was placed there intentionally. Too deep for this short guy
Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Banned

I was trolling at Pier Gray Lakes and saw a nylon rope floating on the water. It had somthing heavy on the end but I could just barely pull it up. Now this may sound realy stupid but I was leaned over the side peering into the depths wonder what the heck was on the end of that rope when a huge mouth full of teeth apeared, like I mean REALY HUGE! About the time I got done making a mess of my boxers I realized that it was painted across the nose of an old 14 foot boat!

Me and my wife had plans to go to town and get enough rope to hook onto it with the truck an pull it out but never ended up doing it. With the rope still floating it probably went down not too long before we found it, Pier Gray is a pretty small lake so the boat was most likely junk and someone probably sunk intentionaly. Still regret not pulling it out just to have a look though.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
saw a 1/4 inch yellow nylon rope in the water at the end of a deep run with at least 12 rapalas stuck in it. Spinners and buzzbombs too. Kinda looked like it was placed there intentionally. Too deep for this short guy
Man, thats a great idea to get some free lures!

Just kidding... maybe. Typically I dont have the room to carry out garbage. I ALWAYS take out what I brought it and I clean up and lures/anything of value.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:03 PM

Me and a friend got a 14 foot aluminum boat from the river, will test it out this spring! Can't wait!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 PM

Cleaned up a littered campsite I was at for opening day hunt of elk with bow. I had nothing better to do that evening. Was a lot of garbage there.

Later that night, noticed I had a flat...spare was flat from last weeks scouting...picked up a nail...probably from the same pigs.

Hmmmm. Now what to do?

I had picked up an inner tube in my garbage collection task. Cut strips from the tube, got out the fletching glue (smells just like tire repair glue). Applied glue, strip of rubber, repeat till wad created, smothered in fletching glue and jambed in hole with a screwdriver.

Left it overnight. Pumped it up in the morning, hunted, loaded an elk in the back, and drove an hour back home. Skinned and hung the elk.

Drove the truck to the tire shop a few days later....tire still held air......

Almost was thankful for the trash..

Karma baby, karma!!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Cleaned up a littered campsite I was at for opening day hunt of elk with bow. I had nothing better to do that evening. Was a lot of garbage there.

Later that night, noticed I had a flat...spare was flat from last weeks scouting...picked up a nail...probably from the same pigs.

Hmmmm. Now what to do?

I had picked up an inner tube in my garbage collection task. Cut strips from the tube, got out the fletching glue (smells just like tire repair glue). Applied glue, strip of rubber, repeat till wad created, smothered in fletching glue and jambed in hole with a screwdriver.

Left it overnight. Pumped it up in the morning, hunted, loaded an elk in the back, and drove an hour back home. Skinned and hung the elk.

Karma baby, karma!!

even red green would be proud of this... great story!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post

Hmmmm. Now what to do?

Karma baby, karma!!
great story
Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 PM

I remember old man telling me about this real popular spot on a river he went to all the time, kids would take a couple sandbags out and tie a piece of rope to them, let them soak for a week and then take all the hooks out, sell them back to fisherman from the shore.

Funny stuff.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I remember old man telling me about this real popular spot on a river he went to all the time, kids would take a couple sandbags out and tie a piece of rope to them, let them soak for a week and then take all the hooks out, sell them back to fisherman from the shore.

Funny stuff.
Enterprising to say the least
Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 PM

Default Collecting Garbage

Hi all this will be my first post I had to comment on this one as I was down at Chestermere today and was disgusted at the amount of trash in the inlet so I spent an hour picking it up... Compared to last year though there was next to nothing as I pulled 2 car seats from the inlet at that time... I enjoy pulling sloughsharks out of that area and catching a plastic bag or couch cushion takes the enjoyment out of it. when I bring my children to the lake I also bring some Safeway bags so if they get bored of fishing I have them collect trash and they are rewarded for the amount they collect.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:49 PM

great first post kujo, welcome to AOF. Sound like a decent person, and glad to hear you are cleaning up and giving back to your favorite areas. Hope to run into you on the water, or at the next meet and greet we have.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujo View Post
Hi all this will be my first post I had to comment on this one as I was down at Chestermere today and was disgusted at the amount of trash in the inlet so I spent an hour picking it up... Compared to last year though there was next to nothing as I pulled 2 car seats from the inlet at that time... I enjoy pulling sloughsharks out of that area and catching a plastic bag or couch cushion takes the enjoyment out of it. when I bring my children to the lake I also bring some Safeway bags so if they get bored of fishing I have them collect trash and they are rewarded for the amount they collect.

very good ethics being passed on to your kids, keep up the good work.

please educate your kids whats safe for them to touch and protect them with gloves for all other debris. The enviroment isnt worth your kids taking a poke from a bad needle. Be safe
Old 03-31-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
very good ethics being passed on to your kids, keep up the good work.

please educate your kids whats safe for them to touch and protect them with gloves for all other debris. The enviroment isnt worth your kids taking a poke from a bad needle. Be safe
also great info chubb. i guess addicts might fish too... bent needle fish hooks? that'll make ya think twice about fishing near the big city
Old 03-31-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
The environment isn't worth your kids taking a poke from a bad needle. Be safe
That's very true as I have come across more than one discarded needle... And thus I ensured my children are educated on what is safe to handle and what they should be getting daddy for.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I was trolling at Pier Gray Lakes and saw a nylon rope floating on the water. It had somthing heavy on the end but I could just barely pull it up. Now this may sound realy stupid but I was leaned over the side peering into the depths wonder what the heck was on the end of that rope when a huge mouth full of teeth apeared, like I mean REALY HUGE!
I almost made pewp just reading that part. I pictured dead zombie body or something.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Banned

I Always clean up what i can find, priority to the dangerous or harmful litter, the worst thing i pulled out of the river occured last year a little downstream of the Pumphouse. The story is the wind is killing my fly casting so i run back to the jeep and grab my spin rod and hook up a cd7 rainbow and start workin the water, after a few casts i feel something tugging at my line but it doesn't feel right, so i start reeling and add a little drag and my line stiffens as if its snaged, so i wade out desperate to save a rap if at all possible, anyways i work my way down to the hook thats stuck and find i've snaged someone elses snag, or so i thought...

As I attempt to retrieve the snag i snaged hoping for treasure at the end of the line suddenly the snag starts to move irradictly and i realise what i 'm pulling out isn't a snag but a BAITED HOOK LINE!! at 1 end a stick driven into the mud and secured to it is a BAITED HOOK LINE similar to ocean hook lines, every 12inchs another BARBED AND BAITED #10 snelled hook about 12 ft long with a rock used as an anchor at the other end, the gear was recently set because there was little to no signs of wear or corrosion, sad but it gets worse...

Attached to one of the hooks is a still live and much suffering sucker fish( say what you will i have pity for any creature that cannot help itself), so i pull the BARBED hook from his mouth and help it revive itself, my next action was to report the infraction to RAP. After reporting to RAP and cleaning up the mess i decide i have time for a few more casts...

Believe it or not 3 casts later and guess what i snag AGAIN??? OMG, the SECOND BAITED HOOK LINE i retrieved had 1 sucker fish i let go, another dead sucker fish and something thing big that broke off of the BAITED HOOK LINE that i never did see, i presume it was a large trout based on the crazy action before the BAITED HOOK LINE broke off in my hands, if this goes on right in the middle of Calgary imagine the horrors that occur out in the boonies...
Old 04-01-2012, 01:15 AM

I saw a big black dilo under the bridge at longview. a buddie and i were fishing and i said wtf is that and he said it looks like a big f in knob! turns out he was right. had to have been thrown out a window too because it was way above the water line. weird.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariko's Rod View Post
I saw a big black dilo under the bridge at longview. a buddie and i were fishing and i said wtf is that and he said it looks like a big f in knob! turns out he was right. had to have been thrown out a window too because it was way above the water line. weird.
always put the big ones back... just take a quick picture, be gentle, and put it back as fast as possible. the smaller ones are much better eating and now someone else has a chance to catch that hog!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
always put the big ones back... just take a quick picture, be gentle, and put it back as fast as possible. the smaller ones are much better eating and now someone else has a chance to catch that hog!
Its Pat!!....... I kept that hog! cant wait to fry it up. How do they taste?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariko's Rod View Post
Its Pat!!....... I kept that hog! cant wait to fry it up. How do they taste?
anything bacon wrapped = good eats my man....
Old 04-01-2012, 04:51 PM

it's sad that my kids have to pack out other peoples garbage every time we go out. but we do, usually fish up and fill the safeway bag up on the way back to the truck. we do it because we care about our resources, and i use this to teach my children respect. when i was young and walked the same streams and rivers, there just wasn't the garbage that you see today. sadly our society is raising a generation disrespectful pigs. plain and simple they just don't care. it literally makes my stomach turn to see the disrespect that people show our waters while out.

Dace
Old 04-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
it's sad that my kids have to pack out other peoples garbage every time we go out. but we do, usually fish up and fill the safeway bag up on the way back to the truck. we do it because we care about our resources, and i use this to teach my children respect. when i was young and walked the same streams and rivers, there just wasn't the garbage that you see today. sadly our society is raising a generation disrespectful pigs. plain and simple they just don't care. it literally makes my stomach turn to see the disrespect that people show our waters while out.

Dace
X2 Good on ya mate (",)