Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2023, 05:33 PM

Exclamation N.S. could use a lot of help...

Given that most of the North shore from Antigonish to Amherst has the same tree damage as indicated by Huntinstuff in P.E.I., and rebuilding the N.S. shoreline is still happening in front of my fathers house near Pictou...

Now my uncle in the Bedford area is being evacuated due to the new "Bedford wildfire" causing an ammonia leak or spill.

And he's barely 4 kms as the crow flies from my condo and my mother's - both in the Larry Uteck area... And the wife is there with my mother & my dogs.

These "wildfires" close to urban areas in N.S. are extremely unusual, borderline suspicious...

Old 05-30-2023, 06:36 PM

As humans, I feel sympathy for the people affected by the wildfires.

As for the Governments of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island who have refused to support Alberta Energy Policies, but are SO QUICK to reap the rewards of Transfer Payments and of course having their people working for the Winter in Alberta, and then taking the money home....

You really are asking alot from me to send millions of dollars of assistance, or any help at all, for two Provinces that make a habit of "milking the cow through the fence".

Yes this is mean, and cruel and low. But Alberta can say the same thing about Nova Scotia and PEI's lack of support of Alberta's Energy Policies. It is their people who keep their Governments in power, so for those people, they can take steps to influence their Governments, say, on ELECTION DAY.

Drewski
Old 05-30-2023, 07:13 PM

I stopped in Pictou. We hopped off the ferry in Caribou. Pictou is nice. Fires and storms.....wrecks a lot
Old 05-30-2023, 07:15 PM

I don't care what part of Canada experiences wildfires, I wouldn't wish the situation on anyone.

To the OP, it looks like they might get a bit of cooler weather and some rain later on in the week, hopefully that is the case. All the best to your family and friends back home, and everyone else affected for that matter too.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I don't care what part of Canada experiences wildfires, I wouldn't wish the situation on anyone.

To the OP, it looks like they might get a bit of cooler weather and some rain later on in the week, hopefully that is the case. All the best to your family and friends back home, and everyone else affected for that matter too.
x2 Hope everyone is safe in your family out of harms way .

All the best
JD
Old 05-30-2023, 07:42 PM

Drew, you know as well as I do... Oil & gas production would come to a screeching halt if all the Maritimers left Alberta. We helped build this province into what it is as much as any Alberta-born patch worker. We can't force the Dippers & Libtards to vote Conservative, nor make lazy sacks of poop go to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I stopped in Pictou. We hopped off the ferry in Caribou. Pictou is nice. Fires and storms.....wrecks a lot
If you had drove down the #6 Hwy (backroad to Tatamagouche & Amherst along the coastline) you would've seen the devastation... As many trees fell as there are standing.

Quote:

Thank you.

The evacuation order was rescinded, but there's still a warning for the area. The biggest threat is that ammonia leak.

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 05-30-2023 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:09 PM

If the Maritimers in Alberta loved the Province that puts bread on their table and a roof over their head, then they would stand up for the O & G Industry when they are back home and hear the anti O & G sentient.

But obviously they keep their mouth shut when they fly out for long change, but are more than happy to come back to make money after their days off.

The Alberta O & G Industry would not ground to a halt if we taxed the out of Province Workers. What might happen is that they realize it is a good idea to move to Alberta, and spend their money in Alberta where they have a 5 % GST and no Provincial Sales Tax and no Provincial Healthcare fees.

And if the Maritimers want to pay Provincial Tax in both places, then they are free to go home and complain about the Industry to their fellow Maritimers.

Drewski
Old 05-31-2023, 09:44 AM

Someone had a post on 'Water Bomber". We Canada should have fleet of large water bombers ready to hit fires in each province most impacted by wildfires.
A country almost totally covered by forests is not very smart.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:05 PM

Default You mad, bro ? LMFAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
If the Maritimers in Alberta loved the Province that puts bread on their table and a roof over their head, then they would stand up for the O & G Industry when they are back home and hear the anti O & G sentiment. WE DO... YOU HAVE PROOF THIS DOESN'T OCCUR ? CAUSE I HAVE PROOF IT DOES.

But obviously they keep their mouth shut when they fly out for long change, but are more than happy to come back to make money after their days off.

The Alberta O & G Industry would not ground to a halt if we taxed the out of Province Workers. What might happen is that they realize it is a good idea to move to Alberta, and spend their money in Alberta where they have a 5 % GST and no Provincial Sales Tax and no Provincial Healthcare fees.

And if the Maritimers want to pay Provincial Tax in both places, then they are free to go home and complain about the Industry to their fellow Maritimers.

Drewski
Guess you have it all figured out... Quite the spin with the whole taxes rambling.

You haven't got the foggiest idea what you're talking about. Seems your emotions are dictating your responses. Maybe keep them out of this thread.

I can personally refute your trashy & offensive post. And BTW, there is no Provincial tax "in both places"...

FoW

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 06-01-2023 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:02 PM

We have a Local fire fighting company that just deployed all 6 of their super scoopers to Nova Scotia this afternoon. Sure hope that their contribution makes a difference to those affected by all these fires!

https://www.kbzk.com/news/local-news...ight-wildfires
Old 06-01-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
We have a Local fire fighting company that just deployed all 6 of their super scoopers to Nova Scotia this afternoon. Sure hope that their contribution makes a difference to those affected by all these fires!

Thats awesome.
Old 06-01-2023, 09:26 PM

Quote:

>>
Wonderful news! I'm sure they will make a big difference. I bet they are delighted to know these big birds are headed their way.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
As humans, I feel sympathy for the people affected by the wildfires.

As for the Governments of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island who have refused to support Alberta Energy Policies, but are SO QUICK to reap the rewards of Transfer Payments and of course having their people working for the Winter in Alberta, and then taking the money home....

You really are asking alot from me to send millions of dollars of assistance, or any help at all, for two Provinces that make a habit of "milking the cow through the fence".

Yes this is mean, and cruel and low. But Alberta can say the same thing about Nova Scotia and PEI's lack of support of Alberta's Energy Policies. It is their people who keep their Governments in power, so for those people, they can take steps to influence their Governments, say, on ELECTION DAY.

Drewski
Busted, you ain’t no Canuck
Old 06-02-2023, 06:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Exactly and well said....there are times in this country that we need to put all the political/religious crap to rest and concentrate on our fellow Canadians in need.

Hope for rain, assistance, more RAIN....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-02-2023, 06:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-02-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Busted, you ain’t no Canuck

DOUBLE BUSTED ON YOU!!!

If I am no Canuck, Either is the Government of PEI and Nova Scotia. For all the money they have received the benefit of from Alberta Wages, they spit in our face.

Now they have a crisis and somehow they want our help?

This is a Symptom of VERY SHORT MEMORY SYNDROME. But hey, if you want to send a private donation to these good people who remember Alberta only when they need money, go right ahead.

Drewski
Old 06-02-2023, 07:54 AM

Forest have to be managed or you get fires. Nova Scotia used to have a sawmill basically in every town. Then in the eighties workers comp basically demanded so many upgrades they all closed down and you only had a few big players left but one by one they closed down I think as well.
Our eastern slope on our southern foothills in Alberta could definitely be a fire disaster. There is a strip with a logging moratorium on it that borders private land. Scary how much fuel is in there.
I also dont understand how spray lake's gets exclusive logging rights. Probably so much government red tape that a smaller logging outfit couldn't comply with a two hundred year logging plan.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:

People bitch about America but when there is a disaster its America to rescue.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:16 AM

Ford, nice to see the Super Scoopers coming to Nova Scotia to help with their fires. In Alberta Our incompetent powers to be have been using soldiers with shovels trying to put out our largest fires in History.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Exactly and well said....there are times in this country that we need to put all the political/religious crap to rest and concentrate on our fellow Canadians in need.

Agreed! We all have our differences but when push comes to shove, you got to stick together!!
Old 06-02-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

X10 .Your solid person 58TH ,good to see.

JD
Old 06-02-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Agreed! We all have our differences but when push comes to shove, you got to stick together!!
I could not agree with you more!!! The trouble is, why is it that PEI and Nova Scotia do not want to stick with Alberta when we need mere political support which was a complete economic benefit to their Provinces on the Federal policies to the Alberta Oil and Gas Industry?

More Federal Energy attacks on Alberta's Energy Industry will be coming in the future. But rest assured that Nova Scotia and PEI will not stand up for Alberta.

Canada is not a one way street that only flows money to the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario.

Support has to flow in both directions and in the end, support for Alberta's Energy is a direct benefit to Nova Scotia and PEI through Provincial Income Tax earned in Alberta.

Drewski
Old 06-02-2023, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I could not agree with you more!!! The trouble is, why is it that PEI and Nova Scotia do not want to stick with Alberta when we need mere political support which was a complete economic benefit to their Provinces on the Federal policies to the Alberta Oil and Gas Industry?

More Federal Energy attacks on Alberta's Energy Industry will be coming in the future. But rest assured that Nova Scotia and PEI will not stand up for Alberta.

Canada is not a one way street that only flows money to the Maritimes, Quebec and Ontario.

Support has to flow in both directions and in the end, support for Alberta's Energy is a direct benefit to Nova Scotia and PEI through Provincial Income Tax earned in Alberta.

Drewski

This right here ^^^
Old 06-02-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Drewski
Enough BS already.

NS has a lower unemployment rate than Alberta and very few transient workers.

When you vote, do you consider support of other industries and regions?

Which political party best supports the Atlantic fisheries?

Which party stands up for the potato industry in PEI when China plays games with imports?

Which party supports Michelin Canada and their enormous contribution to the Atlantic/Canadian economy?

Which party supports the Sobeys brand, a proud NS corporation that employs well over 100,000 Canadians and adds billions to the economy?

Ever hear of Irving and the thousands they employ in the Maritimes?

Which party best serves Maritime ship building, another major contributor to the Atlantic/Canadian economy?

Which party best supports Maritime tourism and environmental protection of one of the most vulnerable ecosystems on the planet?

Where were you when the yuppies shut down the seal hunting industry?

Where were you when massive freezer trawlers pillaged the banks?

Where were you when unions threatened to shut down 3 massive Michelin Tire plants in Nova Scotia?

Where were you when Scott Paper polluted an entire eco system and poisoned hundreds of indigenous people in northern Nova Scotia?

Where were you when acid rain from the industrial US and Canada rained down on the Maritimes?

We are all guilty of ignorance when it comes to the struggles of others. We are tied up with our own families, our own work and our own communities.

Maritimers are not sitting around scheming up ways to sabotage Alberta anymore than Albertans are scheming to sabotage the Maritimes. They are too busy living their own lives.

I am a proud Albertan for the last 30+ years, born and raised in Nova Scotia. I have lived and worked all across Canada and if you believe there is more kind or caring people than Maritimers, you are sadly mistaken. I am happy to share my good fortune with other Canadians in times of need. I would bet my bottom dollar that the vast majority of Albertans feel the same way, no strings attached.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Drewski
While I understand what you’re saying, I don’t think comparing the 2 is an apple to apples comparison. You’re referring to industry that while yes will hurt people economically and result in a change of lifestyle is not an immediate threat to life and limb. Fires on this scale and a chemical leak are.