Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2022, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
You are not alone.
X1000

Don't be scared to talk to friends and loved ones, you would be surprised how many people around you are also struggling.

I went through my first funk this year at 48 yrs old, I have it mostly beat now after about 6 months. A good friend sent me a great quote from the late Robin Williams, " All it takes is beautiful fake smile to hide an injured soul and they will never notice how broken you really are" That quote really stuck with me.

Keep on keeping on friend and good luck getting through this.
It sounds cliche but it really does help to talk to friends and loved ones.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:01 AM

Find a wild 30 year old chick, you wont suffer to long as your old heart will give out. However on the more serious side many good suggestions already presented by guys much wiser than myself. Best bet is keeping as busy as your old legs will handle.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:57 PM

I'm 67 now, been lucky with the health side of things so far, one of these days the body will reject me for all the past sins, and there were plenty of them. But, I got this far, I'll continue on til I can't. This year I noticed I was pretty achy after setup and teardown of goose spreads, has been getting better as the weeks go by, today we had to move the spread in a hurry after it was all out, feel good right now. Have to keep the exercise going, is what I draw from that, although every evening and every early AM, I question the sanity of what I'm doing, I keep doing it, and having some fun doing it, maybe next year, I won't be able to.
Retirement is great for me, I was done with having the patience to deal with customers at work, it was time. I do what I want when I want to now, and have enough people around to do things with, that I still feel the will to fulfill an obligation to do my part and help out where needed, but, I know I can also say no if I feel like it, which is cool. I could be a whole lot worse off, plenty of other people are, and they're not retired. Have to be a bit more frugal with the loot, but, have enough to get by on and still have some fun. That's about all a person can ask.
Old 10-15-2022, 01:07 PM

Yep I hear you. All the things I think about when I can't sleep at night. Had project hobbies lined up for retirement, now couldn't care less about them. Brother and I started hauling out all the old farm machinery that we were going to fix someday into a pile for the metal recycle guys to pick up. Sold the classic car and motorhome, now I feel motor homeless. Still have lots of maintenance to attend too. Having dogs around and going for walks helps. Foot was hurting yesterday so sat down on the ground with dogs around me, 3 ravens showed up and started circling real low, figured I was carrion. Lots of reflecting on past life but overall ok as I have done most things I wanted to do. Most important I have made reservations to be on the right side for the afterlife and looking forward to it.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes View Post
Deep thought for a Thursday evening…
Is anyone else out there feeling just plain down in the dumps and old?! Hunting season is here and that usually perks my spirits but this year I just don’t feel the same excitement. I have aches and pains from years passing and old injuries and scar tissue and realizing I’m no spring chicken anymore is on my mind a lot. I toss my ex’s Victoria secret catalogues that still come to me in the garbage without a first or second look lol. Something I wouldn’t of done in my younger years that’s for sure. I crave time with the people I love but am feeling bitter and angry maybe? About aging so I almost brush them off even though I know they are only trying to help pick me up. I think I’m feeling embarrassed maybe about the things that come with aging so it’s easier to hide? Does that sound ridiculous? Had a great thanksgiving with the kids but since then am kinda back to over thinking things that don’t even affect me and missing having a loving partner to grow old with. I’m not being superficial about aging, it’s not that. It’s the limitations I think that is hitting me. Anyone else ever feel this way?
Can anyone relate?
Yes
Probably around late 50s
Testosterone levels go down
Depression sets in
See it all around me
I wish you all the best 👍
Old 10-17-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
Make the most of what you have, don't spend too long pining for what you don't

Zeke
I bit the bullet and booked a doc appt and one for mental health with a counsellor also. I guess I can’t knock it if I haven’t tried it? The quote above that I cited though, really stuck with me. I didn’t lose my wife, as in she didn’t pass but I lost her in the “she left me” sense and I spend so much time wishing her back in my life full time. I’m older wiser and more patient and see my mistakes and I still love her with all my heart. And now that I’m feeling my age - I am slapped in the face with the reminder of how much I always wanted to grow old with HER, like we always said we would. I have no interest in a 30 year old lol. Also feeling the sadness of the kids leaving the nest. Even though they are only part time with me, they are going to be Venturing out soon and I will miss them. Great advice here and I appreciate it. We all have our demons I suppose and we all need to face them well enough to enjoy our days. I’m going to work hard at appreciating what I have and hope more good comes back to my life. Maybe the testosterone thing is part of my problem and maybe the other part is I’m in my head too much- over thinking and such instead of just appreciating things - big or small as they come. For anyone whose taken testosterone... is it pills or injections - or how does that work? I hate needles lol.