Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2012, 07:53 PM

Default Guided cougar hunts for residents

Just wondering if the guys out there that are guiding residents for cats have to be outfitters ? We were talking about this tonight and the general concencous was that you didn't need to have an outfitter or a guide license for residents. Cougar or other wise. Hopefully somebody can fill us in. I've only ever had non-resident hunters.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM

If one is guiding for payment then they damn well better be licensed guides.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Just wondering if the guys out there that are guiding residents for cats have to be outfitters ? We were talking about this tonight and the general concencous was that you didn't need to have an outfitter or a guide license for residents. Cougar or other wise. Hopefully somebody can fill us in. I've only ever had non-resident hunters.
You'd be better off talking to a lawyer about it. Could leave yourself open for for legal action against you if something were to go wrong. Same goes for non-residents if your charging them to hunt. If your just going out with a buddy or a friend and not charging then you should be all right if your hunting or just along taking pictures.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You'd be better off talking to a lawyer about it. Could leave yourself open for for legal action against you if something were to go wrong. Same goes for non-residents if your charging them to hunt. If your just going out with a buddy or a friend and not charging then you should be all right if your hunting or just along taking pictures.
I've outfitted and guided for years, always non resident aliens. I'm not looking to take any cat hunters out. I'm wondering about the guys out there that only take out resident hunters.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
If one is guiding for payment then they damn well better be licensed guides.
Is this true Pudel ??? can you show me where it actually says this ? I'm not saying you are wrong I just can't find it anywhere.

I know the laws for non-residents, but have never been asked about resident guiding before.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
(3) A person shall not for gain or reward guide another person
hunting wildlife unless he or she holds a licence specifically
authorizing that guiding.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:33 PM

APOS should be able to give you a correct answer.

What I gather from the Wildlife Regulations; a person must have an Outfitter-Guide Permit (Class S or T) to be able to CONTRACT with a resident for the purpose of guiding. Just having a Guides licence does not give a person the legal authorization to charge for a hunt.

Sec. 58 and 59
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/reg...-143-1997.html
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
APOS should be able to give you a correct answer.

What I gather from the Wildlife Regulations; a person must have an Outfitter-Guide Permit (Class S or T) to be able to CONTRACT with a resident for the purpose of guiding. Just having a Guides licence does not give a person the legal authorization to charge for a hunt.

Sec. 58 and 59
http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/reg...-143-1997.html
You are absolutely right walking buffalo. Thanks for clearing up our debate and pointing out the section containing the information. I've never had somebody ask about resident hunts before, never really thought about it. I've only ever hunted cats with Byron Stewart who also guides non-residents.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I've outfitted and guided for years, always non resident aliens. I'm not looking to take any cat hunters out. I'm wondering about the guys out there that only take out resident hunters.
if you want to charge them a fee,enter into a contract with them,yes you need to be S or T.

if you want to hunt with fellow Albertans,you(both) only need a license for cougar,$20.31.

there are no limits to how many fellow Albertans that can hunt with you for FREE. why pay 7000.00 for something you can do for FREE!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
if you want to charge them a fee,enter into a contract with them,yes you need to be S or T.

if you want to hunt with fellow Albertans,you(both) only need a license for cougar,$20.31.

there are no limits to how many fellow Albertans that can hunt with you for FREE. why pay 7000.00 for something you can do for FREE!
Like I stated earlier Nait. I have no interest in a) guiding residents or b) running cats as a business venture. The discussion came up tonight about all the resident hunts offered for cougar in Alberta. Some of the names that came up aren't listed as outfitters with APOS. I have never had the need to know the regulations regarding resident hunters until now, and this was only out of curiosity.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 AM

illegal guiding...not surprising is it,really? Call 1-800-642-3800 and give them the info... or you could just post their names here...hehe
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 AM

There are quite a few licensed legit operations that are not listed on APOS.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
How is that possible ??? If they are not a memeber of APOS then how are they licensed guide outfitters ? Unless they run under a partners or a friends license ?
Please elaborate steve
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
How is that possible ??? If they are not a memeber of APOS then how are they licensed guide outfitters ? Unless they run under a partners or a friends license ?
Please elaborate steve
easy there big fella.

If you are looking at the list APOS has online there are legit outfits not listed.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
easy there big fella.

If you are looking at the list APOS has online there are legit outfits not listed.
LOL too funny.

Yep, one only needs to look at APOS website to see that several outfitters dont list their info their. They're choice!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 AM

The list of members in the annual book has everybodies name as far as I know. We were never asked if we wanted to be excluded from the members list, It has every licensed outfitter in the province. I'm not looking under cougar outfitters on the website. So again how are they not memebers of APOS but still have a guide outfitters license ? I don't pretend to know everything guys, that's why I am asking. Laughing at my response when you have no idea where I'm getting my information is not getting any closer to the answer.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 AM

If your list has every licensed outfit in AB. The ones that are not on there are probably not licensed. Would that not be safe to say?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM

there are some outfitters that do not have non resident couger tags so they are not listed but they can still do resident cougar hunts
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
From your first response steve I thought you knew something I did not. I guess you meant to say the APOS website, not APOS. No worries I got the answer I was looking for a couple hours ago. Thanks guys
Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Ed View Post
there are some outfitters that do not have non resident couger tags so they are not listed but they can still do resident cougar hunts
I'm talking about being an APOS member, not the website. Thanks though