Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 PM

Default With all the wolf discussion....

Anyone hunt or live in a zone where wolf sightings are EXTREMELY rare? And with that, have you seen any in those zones recently?

I hunt 232 and not only have the elk moved in, but for the first time in 25 years i saw not 1, but four blacks last weekend while deer hunting.

For the wolf hunters out there, would this have anyrhing to do with the bump and moving in of moose populations? Along with elk? Im guessing theyve moved up through the battle river valley and followed the elk and moose, but
Not entirely sure. Was a little creepy when youre only
Used to seeing yotes.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 PM

Saw 2 the other day. I wasn't sure they were wolves , until they ran by me at 50 yards. In 20 years I've never seen a wolf anywhere near Calgary city limits.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM

My brother lives on cochrane lake just outside airdrie and i guess hes seen a few this year!

I wonder if with the apparent jump in wolf
Populations groups are simply looking for new territory? If theres one thing i know nothing about its wolves. Im really curious.

Although im sure in 232 that as soon as a landowner catcges a glimpse the old rifle behind the bench seat will be pulled out. I even heard of a couple cougars being
Spotted in 232 last season! Totally foriegn sightings in that zone.

Not to derail my own thread, but this season there was a herd of 8 elk us 2 monster bulls not 300 yards from my property...well it was like the tourists made a stop in flagstaff county. Everyone and their dog wanted to get a glimpse.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:08 PM

Near Hardisty?

I heard of one getting shot out that way from a pack of 5 black ones, you must have seen the remainder.

You know, I've got the perfect rifle for a pack of wolves listed in the buy & sell.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Actually no swifty! I used to hunt out that way and the elk and odd wolf have always popped up near hardisty....but
Now i own an acreage between lougheed and kinsella!!!!

Which is why its so weird!

But maybe the remaining four have wandered up that way iguess? Really aint that far when u think about it!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Cross country, not really. Too bad I didn't come across them while I was moose hunting. I like seeing wolves, especially when I'm armed.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Actually no swifty! I used to hunt out that way and the elk and odd wolf have always popped up near hardisty....but
Now i own an acreage between lougheed and kinsella!!!!

Which is why its so weird!

But maybe the remaining four have wandered up that way iguess? Really aint that far when u think about it!
Seen a few wolves swallow the lead pill a few years ago in that area. Not common to see one but they've moved through periodically.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 PM

Weird! Like i said this year was the first
Time ive ever seen em! I mean you always
Hear locals talk about the wolf theysaw, but thatsusually after theyre 12 beers deep and raising an eyebrow at the guy across the firepit like theyre scarlet johanson. Lol
Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM

Default Speaking of Wolves

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...180478121.html

This thing was power snared in an area about 15 minutes out of the city, 7'6" nose to tail on a strecther and weighed in at 175 lbs....
Old 11-25-2012, 07:47 PM

found two sets of tracks in 216.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM

I was in 304 today and heard what I thought was a handful of 'yotes (at least 3) just after dawn down in a drainage ahead of me, blanketed in the same thick fog I just climbed out of on my approach from the opposite side. The air was dead still and there was a thick fog in the coulees, which was where the 'yotes' were. When I was through it later the tracks seemed kind of large to be coyotes, and the scat was supersized as well. I'd seen a wolf in the same area a few years ago, but this was at least a small pack.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Saw 2 the other day. I wasn't sure they were wolves , until they ran by me at 50 yards. In 20 years I've never seen a wolf anywhere near Calgary city limits.

Hmmmm..... remember me telling you about the two wolves I saw in late October south of hwy 8 and the RS golf club....

I would not be surprised to hear of a Wolf or Cougar sighting in any WMU.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Banned

i havent seen one around the southeast.....but with all the wolves they have dumped in suffield, im sure its only a matter of time....
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
encountered 4 grey phase inside of 100yds between the old Trout Springs racetrack (now Elbow Valley Estates) and the elbow river in winter of 1985. Was is roughly Calgary City limits. Not at all surprised now, i was that day.